Table Gazers thread 2015/16 season

We're 4 points off an automatic place. It's eye & mind boggling. I can't imagine any other team having the same group feeling as us. We've climbed that table for 6 months. Why does it have to stop here? It doesn't. Onwards & upwards

16/1 to win it

10/1 for a top 2 finish

4/5 for a top 6 finish

9/2 to win play-offs

Odds vary, naturally, but that top 6 looks a bargain now.

:manager:

If you want a tl;dr option head straight to the last bit.

Well, looking through this lovely thread and I'm afraid I'm in the same danger as F.Spiksley. Got to thinking, what exactly would it take to get one of the auto spots from here. Are we just thinking pie in the sky or is there really a chance? The top teams have games in hand and points ahead of us. Is it doable?

Based on last 6 years (back to 09/10 season). NB I know this means nothing as each season is different.

To make champions you'd have to aim for around 90 points (it's actually just under 90 points). There were two out of the last 6 seasons where the champions scored above that (102 points in both). Those seasons involved run-away league leaders and this season isn't like that (yet). It's a very close and competitive bunch at the top which is more in keeping with a total of around 90 points being needed to become league champions (as shown in 4 of the last 6 seasons).

Second auto promotion spot over the last 6 seasons has had quite a bit of variation. If you average the points total of the teams finishing second, it comes in at almost the same as that needed to become champions with 88 points. However, if you were to score just one point more than the team finishing third in each of those seasons and average that, it comes down to 84 points. Interestingly if you take out the two seasons that had run away league winners and average the points total for second place in the remaining 4 seasons you get an average of 85 points. So lets say 85 points ish needed for second auto slot.

In summary league winners have to be aiming for 90+ points and second place aiming for 85+ points (apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here). We currently have 53 with another 45 points available = 98 points maximum. That would give us a very decent shot at being crowned champions if we go the rest of the season winning every game. But, we all know that only Huddersfield is capable of that sort of feat. Based on the last 10 games form table (thanks Nath83) if that continues we should get 10 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses. Means we'd end up with circa 86 pts and could well sn@tch second place. If you use our season to date it drops down a bit. 

(tl;dr redirects here)

Based on season to date:

Should end up with around 78 points and playoffs are definitely on. 

Based on last 10 games form table:

Should end up with around 86 points and auto promotion slot is definitely on. (10W, 3D, 2L).

Convert one of those draws and one of those losses into wins and we could even see Wednesday crowned champions.

(and breathe).

Edited by themaskedowl

But wait, there's more.

Note that we are top of form table but the next three teams are Burnley, Hull and Boro...of course.

Use the remainder of games and the PPG from last 10 games form table and we end up with something like this...

1.Hull 92.6 pts (Champions)

2.Boro 87.6 pts (2nd place...only just)

3.Burnley 87.5 pts

4,SWFC 87.5 pts

5.Brighton 78.4 pts

6.Birmingham 75 pts

7.Ipswich 69 pts

I put Burnley ahead of us as they currently have a better GD. This means that there are three teams vying for second place (SWFC, Boro and Burnley) and all are very close. If the wheels fall off at Hull and Boro anything could happen. Really want a Leeds upset now.

In the end we can only control the things we can control. We need to keep doing as we have done over the last 10 matches and then we'll give ourselves every chance of promotion. One game at a time.

Interesting times. C'mon you blue and white wizards!

Edited by themaskedowl

The away matches at Hull, Derby and Brighton are going to define where we finish. Hopefully Boro keep slipping up and if we get 3 points at Hull it'll drag them back into the pack. Big asks but as long as we keep going as we are it's going to be a fun ride into the end of the season.

The away matches at Hull, Derby and Brighton are going to define where we finish. Hopefully Boro keep slipping up and if we get 3 points at Hull it'll drag them back into the pack. Big asks but as long as we keep going as we are it's going to be a fun ride into the end of the season.

Yup. Those games could be important in the end, and 3 points at Hull would be dreamy and make things very interesting. A fun ride indeed. How good is it to be in the mix again, it's been so long. Tremendous season.

Great posts maskedowl.

So in a nutshell, continue current form and we are in and around an auto spot. Your W10 D3 L2 is obviously very tough, but the way we are playing, and with Lees and McGeady strengthening our matchday squad, its not impossible. I think we have two tough challenges ahead, in Preston and Hull. A win and a draw from them and I will truly believe.

Great posts maskedowl.

So in a nutshell, continue current form and we are in and around an auto spot. Your W10 D3 L2 is obviously very tough, but the way we are playing, and with Lees and McGeady strengthening our matchday squad, its not impossible. I think we have two tough challenges ahead, in Preston and Hull. A win and a draw from them and I will truly believe.

Indeed, that would be a very good finish to the season and continues our run of form over the last 10 matches which has been very, very good. Can we keep it up? Watch this space.

Preston have hit a form patch so can't take anything for granted there. Hull away should be a beauty. I still can't shake my belief that we are as good as anyone in this league right now, and we will give them all a proper game.

edit oh, and thank you.

Edited by themaskedowl

We clearly are as good as anyone in this league at present.

We were at least as good as Burnley. Sadly we had to play Boro in ridiculous circumstances and with half the team missing, but still gave them a scare.

Preston and Hull will tell us a great deal.

Wondering if anyone else has first signs of altitude sickness?

A helpful website:

http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php

By all accounts we're better off taking coca leaf in all forms where available. I've struggled to obtain it in this country, and these days after visits to friends and family in Peru I can't risk bringing a handful back in my hand luggage.

Best odds available are:

5/1 Promotion

66/1 Champions

Both worth a tenner IMHO

Nursing a mild nose bleed at the moment so will try to be disciplined and have only occasional gazes at the table this week.

... our run of form over the last 10 matches which has been very, very good. Can we keep it up?

:manager:

"as I said to my wife yesterday after our romantic Valentine's dinner (sardines, potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes), I will make love to you like my team's form: high tempo, silky skills, great positioning on and off the ball, versatile and flexible, powerful yet elegant , did you see Nuhiu's turn against Brum luv? Oh and of course keeping it up for the long game...

...relentless energy. Keeping it up all day long.

Back of the net my darling xxx"

Bookies still have Derby as certs to make top six. More so than Brighton and us.

I suppose they are looking at their squad, and also they mustnt fancy Birmingham or Ipswich much, but given Derby have taken 4 points from 8 matches and have no manager the odds are strange.

Bookies still have Derby as certs to make top six. More so than Brighton and us.

I suppose they are looking at their squad, and also they mustnt fancy Birmingham or Ipswich much, but given Derby have taken 4 points from 8 matches and have no manager the odds are strange.

I reckon bookies will be reluctant to lengthen Derby's odds right now just in case a load of bets get lumped on them, a few results and they're back in the hunt. Mind you they're not entirely out of it yet either.

Think they'll be some big movement in our odds in next day or two.