Abderazzak Hamdallah

They changed the law 5 years ago, no longer a punishable offence by law: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8604625.stm

Proper nouns come into play in Scrabble rule change
_46803290_005130849-1.jpg
Mattel said the use of names will add a "new dimension" to Scrabble

The rules of word game Scrabble are being changed for the first time in its history to allow the use of proper nouns, games company Mattel has said.

Place names, people's names and company names or brands will now count.

Mattel, which brings out a new version of the game containing amended rules in July, hopes the change will encourage younger people to play.

Until now a few proper nouns had been allowed which were determined by a word list based on the Collins dictionary.

In Scrabble, players try to gain the highest points by making words with individual letter tiles on a grid board.

Each letter tile has a points value between one and 10, based on the letter's frequency in standard English.

Various coloured squares on the board can double or triple a player's points.

'New dimension'

Mattel said there would be no hard and fast rule over whether a proper noun was correct or not.

Just because people these days are finding Scrabble too hard to play, the rules shouldn't be changed

Mike from Brum

A spokeswoman for the company said the use of proper nouns would "add a new dimension" to Scrabble and "introduce an element of popular culture into the game".

She said: "This is one of a number of twists and challenges included that we believe existing fans will enjoy and will also enable younger fans and families to get involved."

However, Mattel said it would not be doing away with the old rules altogether.

It will continue to sell a board with the original rules.

Scrabble was invented in 1938 by American-born architect Alfred Butts. He later sold the rights and it was trademarked in 1948.

Well that is what I get for being a f*cking smart-arse.

The fact Glenn Roeder said he'll travel anywhere...

& it's China's top talent...

& Roeder doesn't advise on 350k's

=

"I've heard we're signing dalai lama"

I can't claim to be an expert or to know him but, I suspect his holiness wouldn't be overly keen about being called China's top talent.

Guest Distraught!

tibet innit..some reyt thickkos on here

Tibet is not part of China then?

I wouldn't shout that too loudly around these parts.

Guest micheledipiedi

someone has even edited his Wiki to say he is a target. no source though. very suspicious