So, what did the ref say to their Keeper?

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been a handball.

It would just have been an indirect freekick on the six-yard line and no further punishment for the 'keeper.

At most a yellow card

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It would just have been an indirect freekick on the six-yard line and no further punishment for the 'keeper.

Thought the same. The spin took it away from him.

• Like 1

Stockdale said he could easily have kicked it a second time. 

Knowing his luck, he’d have smashed it into the roof of the net. 

Apparently the lad was in a jacuzzi in the dark with a load of topless women the other night and ended up sucking his thumb. 

Edited by Devonstrix
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I thought he was saying what would’ve happened if he’d caught it after the miskick. Red card and indirect free kick on six yard line, presumably? Bizarre spectacle either way.

No. 1 keepers aren't sanctioned for handling offences in their own area (unless 2nd touch following a restart) and 2 an attempted clearance resets "back pass" so the keeper was able to handle it again and could have prevented the goal. 

It's beggars belief professional sports players don't fully understand the rules of the sport they play.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

it's an interesting case.    he is denying a goal by stopping the ball with his hand.

the laws state

"The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.  However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity."

and

"Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)."

This (obviously?) means the goalkeeper is the only player is allowed to handle the ball in the area during normal gameplay.

A bit confusing all round, would love to hear from the refs what would happen....

• Thanks 1

and the ref actually said to the keeper

"the linesman has just told me what the manager said he's going to do to you after the match.  i'd just leave with the crowds at full time and pick your kit up tomorrow if i was you"

5 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

it's an interesting case.    he is denying a goal by stopping the ball with his hand.

the laws state

"The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.  However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity."

and

"Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)."

This (obviously?) means the goalkeeper is the only player is allowed to handle the ball in the area during normal gameplay.

A bit confusing all round, would love to hear from the refs what would happen....

That seems pretty clear to me? 

🤷‍♂️

He obviously didn’t know the rules.

He could have caught it after he miss kicked it but probably thought he’d get sent off in confusing it with stopping it outside the box.

Either way, the first bit of genuine luck we’ve had all season. It killed the game off.

• Like 2

Here you go folks…..law 12.2

basically he could have picked it up after he’d kicked it….he could have done so even if he’d missed it completely 

F77FBD4E-5837-4CFD-BE25-9E9DEFD5F493.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

I thought he was saying what would’ve happened if he’d caught it after the miskick. Red card and indirect free kick on six yard line, presumably? Bizarre spectacle either way.

It would have been play on and no cards

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That seems pretty clear to me? 

🤷‍♂️

Yes pretty clear. 

A keeper handling offences is different to playing the ball a 2nd time after a restart. 

So if the goalkeeper handles the ball when it is deliberately kicked to him their is no disciplinary sanction. 

However, if he handles the ball in a 2nd touch offence it's not a handling offence, its for 2nd touch and so Denial of obvious goal scoring opportunity to stopping promising attack would apply. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

It would have been handling a back pass, indirect free kick outside the 6 yard box.

No because the keeper attempted to kick the ball the deliberate kick by a team mate no longer applied and it would have been play on

• Like 1

If the keeper would have picked it up BEFORE he MISS KICKS thats a back pass

If he picks it up after he takes a touch ( miss kick) thats a backpass.

BUT by the rules of the game he can punch or parry the ball to stop a goal ( he can knock the ball away but not catch it. before or after he takes a touch or miss kick

Its only a back pass if he actually places both hands on the ball (catches it)