Look who's back at SWFC

Who else was there last night?

The list I’ve got out to now is Wilko (who looks to have barely aged), Finney (he must be the eldest ex-player), Hirsty. I saw this tweet from Glen Whelan, which was a nice touch. 👇 

Edited by M Royds
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Finney a club legend who the club treated disgracefully towards the end of his time here  ...good to see him looking so well   .

Before my time, how so?

Can’t find it anywhere, but would be nice to see a bit of an in-depth interview with Finney. Questions like his debut, what big matches he recalls, he team mates, what’s it like for him to have played at Hillsborough etc. 

A bit of Sheffield Wednesday social history that should be documented may be missed out on by either the club reporter of the local press reporters. 

Edited by M Royds

12 hours ago, onslow said:

Club rep : Hello Mr Hirst, sorry we’ve not been in touch since…you know George left. But would you like to be involved in a special celebration evening for the clubs 5,000th league game

Mr Hirst : No chance love

Club rep : The Chairman won’t be here, he’s in Thailand

Mr Hirst : Absolutely love, with bells on. Will Sgt Wilko be there as well

Club rep : We hope so

Mr Hirst : What times bar open love ?

This is exactly as it happened. I'm 100% sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Can’t find it anywhere, but would be nice to see a bit of an in-depth interview with Finney. Questions like his debut, what big matches he recalls, he team mates, what’s it like for him to have played at Hillsborough etc. 

A bit of Sheffield Wednesday social history that should be documented may be missed out on by either the club reporter of the local press reporters. 

Id ask him how the pie was and if he likes the new carpets 

I think that’s why I run owlstalk and not the green un though 

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Before my time, how so?

Short version   .he fell out of favour with alan brown and told he was surplus.  donny rovers wanted to sign him and wednesday instead of giving him a free  after such long service demanded a 5k fee depriving finney of a better contract at belle vue ... he'd also been promised a testimonial game but after moving  to donny  the club said he couldn't have it at hillsboro so sent a side over there to play it in front of some paltry  attendance  .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Short version   .he fell out of favour with alan brown and told he was surplus.  donny rovers wanted to sign him and wednesday instead of giving him a free  after such long service demanded a 5k fee depriving finney of a better contract at belle vue ... he'd also been promised a testimonial game but after moving  to donny  the club said he couldn't have it at hillsboro so sent a side over there to play it in front of some paltry  attendance  .

Good old Wednesday - been shitesters for many years then

19 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

IMG_20240410_084521.jpg

I’m one of those who had the pleasure of seeing him play .

A proper old fashioned winger . I can’t remember ever seeing him have a bad match .

He was an ever present when I started going 

Derek Wilkinson on the other wing .

How come players like him got kicked up in the air week after week but were never injured in those days ?

Great memories 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, M Royds said:

Who else was there last night?

The list I’ve got out to now is Wilko (who looks to have barely aged), Finney (he must be the eldest ex-player), Hirsty. I saw this tweet from Glen Whelan, which was a nice touch. 👇 

"Noise does be electric". Could he be any more Irish? lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I’m one of those who had the pleasure of seeing him play .

A proper old fashioned winger . I can’t remember ever seeing him have a bad match .

He was an ever present when I started going 

Derek Wilkinson on the other wing .

How come players like him got kicked up in the air week after week but were never injured in those days ?

Great memories 

The main thing I remember about Finney and Wilkinson ( Derek ) is that they were both 2 footed and could beat their man on the inside or or outside. When they'd tormented their man enough they would swap wings and continue the torment.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

GKvfz2rXMAA3uIt.jpg

Two of my most outstanding favourites during my sixty four years of supporting Wednesday.

Belated thanks to both of you.

(always biased towards Alan, we were both born in the same village).

• Like 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I was in that 'paltry' attendance.  We lost 6-5 just after the Everton game.

Didn't know he left on bad terms.  Brown was always one for playing youth.  Didn't always work. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I was in that 'paltry' attendance.  We lost 6-5 just after the Everton game.

Didn't know he left on bad terms.  Brown was always one for playing youth.  Didn't always work. 

Yes I remember being there too 

it was midweek after the Cup Final and on reflection it was a pretty mean thing to do .

There’d have been a fair few thousand more who’d have traipsed down to Hillsborough to cheer their Cup heroes and Finney