Birmingham City

This may or may not come off, however we’ve heard this all before from various clubs

When Chansiri came in Adam Pearson said something along the lines of DC having the resources not to only get out of the Championship but to have a real go at the Premier League too. That turned out well 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Django said:

This may or may not come off, however we’ve heard this all before from various clubs

When Chansiri came in Adam Pearson said something along the lines of DC having the resources not to only get out of the Championship but to have a real go at the Premier League too. That turned out well 

Was about to make the same point.
All takeovers male the right noises when taking over and a few year down the line the majority of them turn out to be a false dawn.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was about to make the same point.
All takeovers male the right noises when taking over and a few year down the line the majority of them turn out to be a false dawn.

Exactly 

I remember when Strafford came in

, we were getting a new away end, new kop roof, comers joined in. That soon fell flat on its arse 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Django said:

True. Although the fact they have bought the necessary land would suggest the intent and money is there.

Perhaps more pertinently, if it all goes ahead, they’ll not be content finishing 14th in the PL. There’s a growing number of clubs who think they should be elite and in the champions league. Which I think makes a super league or vastly changed PL more likely 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Django said:

Exactly 

I remember when Strafford came in

, we were getting a new away end, new kop roof, comers joined in. That soon fell flat on its arse 

I must've been hibernating when England hosted the 2018 World Cup that those plans were dependent upon...

• Like 2

It’s a bold move - There’s talk of it being a 60k ground… what’s the point!

They should be building a really good 30k ish ground, like Brighton, with all the added stuff that they could fill.

Theyre not suddenly going to get 60k fans turning out, even if they plan to loan it out to events and concerts it seems daft.

The plot itself would be good though if they make it really modern with all the facilities like Brighton and City have done.

2 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

I must've been hibernating when England hosted the 2018 World Cup that those plans were dependent upon...

Incorrect.  Strafford said at the time it wasn’t dependent on England hosting the World Cup.

Hillsborough park is only slightly bigger than the land Birmingham just bought.

Birmingham must be the most underachieving English club , certainly got more prospects than many of the recent Premier league promoted clubs

47 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Hillsborough park is only slightly bigger than the land Birmingham just bought.

Birmingham must be the most underachieving English club , certainly got more prospects than many of the recent Premier league promoted clubs

Maybe but they've achieved a lot this millenium. 

9 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

True. Although the fact they have bought the necessary land would suggest the intent and money is there.

Perhaps more pertinently, if it all goes ahead, they’ll not be content finishing 14th in the PL. There’s a growing number of clubs who think they should be elite and in the champions league. Which I think makes a super league or vastly changed PL more likely 

They'll be lucky to finish 14th in League One next season.

Can see all these grand plans falling flat, and in 5-10 years we'll look back on this announcement as a step on the road to the death of yet another club.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2024 at 09:31, Ever the pessimist said:

I think this is a really interesting wrinkle on it.

I've said on here before that I think the traditional pyramid structure in this country is in big trouble. Between a number of factors I think we're teetering on the brink of the sort of change that might seem wildly unthinkable to many.

To me this feels like a play to keep them in touch with change, and I think that's something you might see more of from big money investors. Investment in infrastructure, "world class" stadiums and facilities, sports "campuses". If there's a future split in how the game is structured, it's a move to make themselves too glamorous and important to ignore. I think it's a bet on answering the question "What does league position really matter if you've got a world class arena and sports complex with wealthy American backers in the second biggest city in the UK?"

Not saying this is something that impacts Birmingham over the next 4 games, next season, 5 years time, maybe not even 10, but this seems like an ambitious long play towards an uncertain future to me..

• Like 1

I am jealous that they have owners talking about new stadium plans and ambitions.   Frankly if a club had basil brush as owner i would be jealous 

But hopefully they will continue to be rubbish on the pitch for these final 4 games.     Come on coventry tomorrow 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I am jealous that they have owners talking about new stadium plans and ambitions.   Frankly if a club had basil brush as owner i would be jealous 

But hopefully they will continue to be rubbish on the pitch for these final 4 games.     Come on coventry tomorrow 

They could drop to league two and still make the prem before us… Ah Chansiri 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1