Academy over achieving despite poor club support

It’s just embarrassing.

I tell you something the people in charge Haslam etc, the coaches must be bloody good. I mean they keep getting poached by bigger clubs, and we replace them and then we actually now have talent coming through as you say.

We also have an interested fan base, something which the club ignores. If Röhl is to stay then the link to the first team can only improve. 

• Like 7

I’ve said many many times this is the area we should’ve invested whatever money we had as soon as we came out of the premier league but essentially we’ve always been run from the top by shortsighted folk who look at the first team or the ground and nothing else.

I’ve seen this past week as most of us probably have a couple of goals the Academy teams have scored from the high press that Röhl favours. I can’t remember a time when this sort of obvious style was present in other sides within the club.

I think should Röhl stay one thing he’ll try and do by hook or by crook is drag the Acsdemy kicking and screaming into the 21st century. It’s’ll be a very difficult thing to do under this owner but maybe a different kettle of fish entirely under a new one?

• Like 6

To play devil's advocate they are doing the job well despite all the "trimmings" of better facilities over night stays etc. So maybe the question is are they needed?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, darra said:

To play devil's advocate they are doing the job well despite all the "trimmings" of better facilities over night stays etc. So maybe the question is are they needed?

Yes

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, darra said:

Do we REALLY need hot water in the toilets at the ground?

What about better catering?

Cheaper shirts? Do we REALLY need cheaper replica shirts?

etc

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

So we make massive losses because we blow money on players who are past their best and have no re-sale value.

But instead of investing it in young talent who could make us millions, we ignore it. 

That's Chansiri-nomics :Chansiri:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, darra said:

Where does that race to the bottom stop? Maybe we should just make them train in Hillsborough park with jumpers for goalposts and save ourselves a few more quid. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, darra said:

Are you meaning the difference between Chelsea paying an 18 year old £50k o.w. and the old days of having the young players clean the boots of the senior players?

32 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

So we make massive losses because we blow money on players who are past their best and have no re-sale value.

But instead of investing it in young talent who could make us millions, we ignore it. 

That's Chansiri-nomics :Chansiri:

But we are investing in young talent. Maybe not as much as we need to, but much more so than for many a year. The facilities might be lacking investment, but we are upping the spend on players and coaches.

We now target premier league academy rejects rather than whatever strategy we had before. U21s train with the first team. They see a path to the first team. Take away the politics and personalities and see the different treatment of Cadermateri and Hirst. The academy is (close to) delivering better results because we’re focusing (spending) on the players.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

It’s just embarrassing.

I tell you something the people in charge Haslam etc, the coaches must be bloody good. I mean they keep getting poached by bigger clubs, and we replace them and then we actually now have talent coming through as you say.

We also have an interested fan base, something which the club ignores. If Röhl is to stay then the link to the first team can only improve. 

Rholl has been including the Academy coaches in with the First team training to help to create  a system of all teams playing the same style.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I’ve said many many times this is the area we should’ve invested whatever money we had as soon as we came out of the premier league but essentially we’ve always been run from the top by shortsighted folk who look at the first team or the ground and nothing else.

I’ve seen this past week as most of us probably have a couple of goals the Academy teams have scored from the high press that Röhl favours. I can’t remember a time when this sort of obvious style was present in other sides within the club.

I think should Röhl stay one thing he’ll try and do by hook or by crook is drag the Acsdemy kicking and screaming into the 21st century. It’s’ll be a very difficult thing to do under this owner but maybe a different kettle of fish entirely under a new one?

Apart from the early 1970's to 1984, we have never invested in the Youth set up.

We have spent very little in the Ground or Training facilities, every penny has been spent on the First team, with poor results.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Rholl has been including the Academy coaches in with the First team training to help to create  a system of all teams playing the same style.

Beggars belief that it has taken 9 years to take this revolutionary step. This is where a director of football/technical director has been missed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darra said:

If I was the devil, I would fire all my advocates. 

13 hours ago, Busted flush said:

Owls u21 and U18 academy teams are having a great season with both teams sitting in second place in their respective leagues. For the first time in many years there are a number of outstanding prospects coming through the ranks, all the way down to U14 level.

Cadamarteri, Puthi, Reed and Charles are all examples of players stepping up into the first team spotlight.

And yet all this promise is seemingly disrespected and ignored by the club.

They operate out of sub standard training facilities compared to almost every other team in their leagues, but still manage to overachieve despite the lack of club support.

A classic example of this is Tuesdays game away at Bristol City with a lunchtime ko

Unlike their peers though there is no overnight stay for the boys, its an early morning, 4 and a half hour coach trip to a game they must win to keep in contention for the top spot.

Good luck boys, you certainly deserve it

Well said. They deserve much praise.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Do we REALLY need hot water in the toilets at the ground?

I like your thinking, but why stop there?

Do we even NEED water? 

A bit of sawdust should do it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Beggars belief that it has taken 9 years to take this revolutionary step. This is where a director of football/technical director has been missed

We change manager / styles every other week

Owlstalk Shop