Academy over achieving despite poor club support

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Do we REALLY need hot water in the toilets at the ground?

What about better catering?

Cheaper shirts? Do we REALLY need cheaper replica shirts?

etc

How water, or at least warm water, in the showers would good 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Broomhill Owl said:

The U ‘18s played on Saturday I believe, but it’s now Tuesday, I’ve seen nothing from the Club and don’t know the score.

Exactly !  They actually dont give a damn. They rely on fans spreading the word on social media.

They won 2-1 by the way

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

But we are investing in young talent. Maybe not as much as we need to, but much more so than for many a year. The facilities might be lacking investment, but we are upping the spend on players and coaches.

We now target premier league academy rejects rather than whatever strategy we had before. U21s train with the first team. They see a path to the first team. Take away the politics and personalities and see the different treatment of Cadermateri and Hirst. The academy is (close to) delivering better results because we’re focusing (spending) on the players.

Not so sure that's true. If you knew how little academy players are paid you might change that opinion

3 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Rholl has been including the Academy coaches in with the First team training to help to create  a system of all teams playing the same style.

This is true 👍 

2 hours ago, Broomhill Owl said:

The U ‘18s played on Saturday I believe, but it’s now Tuesday, I’ve seen nothing from the Club and don’t know the score.

They posted this on twitter. It is one of only a few occasions they actually put something up on match days. The Academy does appear to be doing well in spite of obvious issues with facilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broomhill Owl said:

The U21's are playing away at Bristol now ht 0-0 we've had more possession , corners, shots on target courtesy of Skybet which I stumbled accross by accident looking for the horses for Aintree 

2 minutes ago, nile said:

Favour onukwuli with the goal, he seems to be doing well for us 

He’ll be training with the first team in pre-season mefinks?

• Like 1

Our spotlight for the unders is shoddy.

Its largely why no one has a clue.

And yet at Leeds they get thousands watching at times because it’s advertised and updated.

We have long needed to do more with our academy.

Hopefully we are making progress in some regard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

The U21's are playing away at Bristol now ht 0-0 we've had more possession , corners, shots on target courtesy of Skybet which I stumbled accross by accident looking for the horses for Aintree 

I think you’re wrong mate.

IMG_1640.jpeg

4 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Bristol twitter feed

@BristolCityAcad 

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

But we are investing in young talent. Maybe not as much as we need to, but much more so than for many a year. The facilities might be lacking investment, but we are upping the spend on players and coaches.

We now target premier league academy rejects rather than whatever strategy we had before. U21s train with the first team. They see a path to the first team. Take away the politics and personalities and see the different treatment of Cadermateri and Hirst. The academy is (close to) delivering better results because we’re focusing (spending) on the players.

If we spent what we have wasted this season on Gregory, James, Smith, Brennan, Fletcher, Hendricks, Diaby sat in the stands never playing we would probably improve what been spent on the youth set up 10 fold.

When you look at all the what I would call smaller clubs that are punching above their weight a lot of the time when you look at transfer history they are selling players they have brought through the youth system..  We on the other hand had the likes of George Hirst who we managed to let go for next to nothing..   We need massive investment, DC came in and concentrated on the team with the promise of investment when we get into the Prem but lets be honest even if we had made it into the Prem that playoff season we would have come straight back down and been in basically the same position as we are now...   

We need a new owner but I am not sure we are a particularly good prospect, our fan base is large but poor, it makes a difference as we get little income from commercial advertising because of the wealth and type of fan base we have, which I am not knocking but it does make us a poor prospect for investors.

• Haha 1

There's a live proposal for a New Training ground on the table  -  Chansiri is not interested....praying he'll change his mind 'cos it wont be there forever...! Haslam and the staff do a great job with bare bones resources.

56 minutes ago, Stan Dupowls said:

There's a live proposal for a New Training ground on the table  -  Chansiri is not interested....praying he'll change his mind 'cos it wont be there forever...! Haslam and the staff do a great job with bare bones resources.

I suspect he would only be interested if someone else will foot the bill?

U21s are top of their league with 4 games left to play after Phuthi scored in the second half to make it 2-0, although the piglets have 4 games in hand and are 6 points behind. 

Brilliant effort from the players and coaching staff working under what sound like difficult circumstances.

This club has such huge potential if it’s properly run/funded…

It makes no difference how the academy is doing if we don't give them a chance and contracts. 

We have out of desperation given players a chance lately. If it wasn't for that would they have got picked.... no not on  previous evidence. 

We need players coming through more than we have ever done. However if they don't see it as possible it's not going to help that happen.

As for funding, absolutely along with the training ground and stadium. Huge investment needed and has nothing to do with FFP. That's why new owners are needed. 9 years of failure on this front by Chansiri.