Happy Birthday - Big Ron

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fans who call Big Ron ‘Judas’ are fans who don’t know what REALLY went on at the time 

Big Ron wasn’t to blame in any way 

He left and as a club we wanted him to stay.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

He left and as a club we wanted him to stay.

I thought the reason he wanted to go to Villa was he lived nearby and was fed up with all the driving from Birmingham and back.
Although not sure why that wasn't a problem in his 2nd spell.

Maybe he thought Villa has more potential at the time which would make sense now but back than Wednesday and Villa seemed on a par with crowds etc.

Yes agree Big Ron at the Town Hall reception was nowhere near his normal self, his heart didn't seem in it.

Edited by matthefish2002
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Also known as ‘Judas’ to many Owls fans. Loudly booed on his return with Villa. Memories eh?😂

He was, but he gave us some good times....  only ti.e I have seen us win anything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I thought the reason he wanted to go to Villa was he lived nearby and was fed up with all the driving from Birmingham and back.

" Cough" Redfern Travel 

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

They did didnt they....3rd &qualified for Europe then 7th and 2 cup finals playing some great stuff along the way .

Yes they did, I didn't mean to denigrate Trevor Francis achievement at all, they were indeed good times but I feel that Ron was building us into a permanent top 6 side. Players wanted to play for him, he just had that magnetic personality.

TF was unfairly sacked, oh to be 13 th in the PL now !

However if Ron had stayed and been financially backed I think we would have become an established top side in England.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Fans who call Big Ron ‘Judas’ are fans who don’t know what REALLY went on at the time 

Anybody who knows about the Christmas party understands.

7 hours ago, markg said:

Ah, that one.

As he employed loads of black people, it's fine, and absolutely not racist, to say that someone is 'Just another lazy n-word'

Nice one, thanks for clearing it up.

You’re welcome you patronising c#nt.

Can you ever try to be normal, every post is an attack on somebody. Bore

Just to add to my earlier comment about it being a magical time - was anyone at Alton Towers for the Port Vale evening game in '91?

A win there and we were up.

A bit random buti It felt like Wednesday had taken over the park.

Was a glorious day and remember being on the log flume with school mates and the entire queue line was singing Barmy Army. 
We only drew but in hindsight was for the better cos it was another warm evening in May when we secured promotion against Bristol City at Hillsborough.

Atmosphere was incredible but I mostly remember the mood outside after the game instead.

Walking back up past The Gate & The Travellers (I think?) was just pure joy. 
... We need those nights back. Especially for the long suffering younger ones.

Hopefully Röhl will be their Big Ron.

14 hours ago, paulrs said:

Wondered how long it'd take on this thread for someone to mention it, didn't take long did it.

Listened to the Undr The Cosh podcast with Don Goodman recently, who played under Ron at West Brom. He said the idea of Ron being racist is ridiculous and what's happened to him since with him effectively being 'cancelled' is very unfair.

I don’t get this… so is Don Goodman suggesting that Big Ron just did some form of accidental naughty name calling ?  

or is he saying that Ron is so thick that he just happened to come out with that comment ?

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What was the reason? 
I’ve heard on here that Villa doubled his money but then there are others that say we matched Villas offer. 

Then there’s location in that Villa was closer to home.