Happy Birthday - Big Ron

8 minutes ago, markg said:

Why?

fk him, the vile racist scum bag 

Racist, he brought more black players into the game than any other manager of his time, yes he used a bad word, but many of his generation still do. I reported one at the Leeds game and the club claim they can’t find him, does that make them racist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, markg said:

Why?

fk him, the vile racist scum bag 

I doubt that ...his generation were brought up were the n-word was common place   that's no excuse and  shouldn't  have said what he did but I dont think that makes him   a vile racist scum bag .

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, torryowl said:

They did didnt they....3rd &qualified for Europe then 7th and 2 cup finals playing some great stuff along the way .

They did indeed and whilst this isn’t a dig at Francis. If Big Ron had stayed another 3 seasons, I genuinely believe we would have won more silverware.

All subjective of course.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

Not according to Carlton he isn’t & he’ll be a better judge than you 

Wondered how long it'd take on this thread for someone to mention it, didn't take long did it.

Listened to the Undr The Cosh podcast with Don Goodman recently, who played under Ron at West Brom. He said the idea of Ron being racist is ridiculous and what's happened to him since with him effectively being 'cancelled' is very unfair.

Best manager of my lifetime, we were very lucky to have him. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Racist, he brought more black players into the game than any other manager of his time, yes he used a bad word, but many of his generation still do. I reported one at the Leeds game and the club claim they can’t find him, does that make them racist.

Ah, that one.

As he employed loads of black people, it's fine, and absolutely not racist, to say that someone is 'Just another lazy n-word'

Nice one, thanks for clearing it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Wondered how long it'd take on this thread for someone to mention it, didn't take long did it.

Listened to the Undr The Cosh podcast with Don Goodman recently, who played under Ron at West Brom. He said the idea of Ron being racist is ridiculous and what's happened to him since with him effectively being 'cancelled' is very unfair.

Best manager of my lifetime, we were very lucky to have him. 

On April 20, 2004, everything changed between Ron and I.

It was during his ITV commentary of the Monaco versus Chelsea Champions League match that Ron made an unforgivable comment about Chelsea player Marcel Desailly. Believing the microphone to be switched off, he said: “…he (Desailly) is what is known in some schools as a ******* lazy, thick ******.”

It was a comment that was picked up on overseas’ feeds. Viewers in the UK were, I’m told, unaware of what he’d said until it leaked out.

Cecily and I were on our way back from Grenada with a stop-off in Barbados. We were in a restaurant watching Monaco play Chelsea. A good friend of mine used to work for British Airways and would look after my car while I was away.

When I saw him the next morning as I picked my car up the first thing I asked him was how that particular game had finished.

And he immediately said: “Have you heard about Ron’s comments?” I had no idea what he was talking about. I drove home and within 20 minutes of me getting back to Walsall I had a call from the Daily Mirror, asking me if I wanted to make any comments about Ron.

At this point I still wasn’t sure what Ron had actually said, other than been told something anecdotally. The one that really set me off was a call from John Goodbody of The Times. He gave me a phone number and asked me to call the PR people of ITV to find out exactly what had happened and then to get back to him, which I did.

I was shocked when I heard the transcript. I immediately rang Ron but didn’t get a response, so I called John Goodbody back and told him of my shock, hurt, disappointment and surprise. Those are feelings I still have to this day.

I actually managed to get hold of him the next day.

What Ron then said has stuck with me since. He said: “To be fair Batman, I thought the microphone was off.”

I don’t swear often, but I can recall my reply: “Ron that’s even ******* worse. Are you telling me you’d have said that if the microphone was off – so the impression you’re giving me is that you’d have used that kind of language anyway?”

I was furious.

The problem with Ron is that he thought he could make a joke about anything and get away with it. You also have to remember that by 2004 Ron was known to a wider audience more for his brilliant analysis as a TV pundit, than he was as a football manager as he had been during the 1970s through to the early 1990s.

I think Ron became somewhat blasé and got carried away with his celebrity status.

It still hurts me now when I think about it. I cannot quite understand what made Ron say what he did and one of the worst things is that he never apologised for the comments.

People could draw their own conclusions based on what they heard but the hurtful aspects of Ron’s comments was his excuse that he got caught with the microphone switched on, and the lack of apology. That’s what really upset me.

You have deeds, you have actions, and you can say you have words. I’m not saying Ron was supportive of black footballers exclusively, more so he was supportive of good footballers.

He didn’t sign me because I was a black player, he signed me because he felt I could bring value to his team.

Brendon Batson (one of the WBA ‘Three Degrees’). A well respected ex-player.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meadows said:

I’d hazard a guess that he’s a lot less racist than you 

What you basing that on?

And how do you mean 'less racist'? Is there a sliding scale of what's acceptable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

He was vilified and rightly so. However, should that overshadow the positive aspects of his entire career? Was a great manager for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

He was vilified and rightly so. However, should that overshadow the positive aspects of his entire career? Was a great manager for us.

Also known as ‘Judas’ to many Owls fans. Loudly booed on his return with Villa. Memories eh?😂

4 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Also known as ‘Judas’ to many Owls fans. Loudly booed on his return with Villa. Memories eh?😂

I was about 15 went he left for Villa, I used to worship him and did feel very let down he left, especially after he said he was staying week before.
But that was over 30 years ago now and seems daft to still feel same way now.
Look back on his time with Wednesday with a great deal of fondness, one of few times in my life you felt Wednesday were glamorous.

He deserves criticism for his remark in the Chelsea game when he thought he mike was switched off.
I read the post that Brendan Batson says he never apologised, I don't think that's true.
Whether that was genuine or just sorry he got caught is a matter of opinion.
But does seem a shame if that totally over shadows everything else he has done in life.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He deserves criticism for his remark in the Chelsea game when he thought he mike was switched off.

I read the post that Brendan Batson says he never apologised, I don't think that's true.

IMG_5730.jpeg

He said: "I am fed up of apologising – [former England manager] Terry Venables rang me up once and he said: 'When are you going to stop apologising?' And I thought: 'Ah, you’re right.'"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

29 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I was about 15 went he left for Villa, I used to worship him and did feel very let down he left, especially after he said he was staying week before.
But that was over 30 years ago now and seems daft to still feel same way now.
Look back on his time with Wednesday with a great deal of fondness, one of few times in my life you felt Wednesday were glamorous.

Whether that was genuine or just sorry he got caught is a matter of opinion.
But does seem a shame if that totally over shadows everything else he has done in life.

I honestly think the only reason he said he was initially staying was due to the timing of when he was initially going to leave. It was on the very day Wednesday were supposed to be having their reception at the city hall. If the announcement he was leaving was after that event I think he would have gone with no u turn.

I went with my dad to that reception outside the town hall and I said at the time, ‘Ron looks like he wants to be anywhere other that here’ It was no surprise to me when he left a few days later.

• Like 1