GDH : Gregory, Delgado, Hendrick

Albertowl 

Please enlighten me as to what skills Hendricks has then? I can't see any added value in him. Passed it. 

Is he someone you would trust to give much needed 150% effort for the Owls? If he is getting £35k a week even if he doesn't play.....how passionate will he be? 

Sorry, it's a deffo no from me. Pity we couldn't send him back and save £35k a week and bring in a younger, proven alternative? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Coventry signed for Charlton 20 days before Byers left Wednesday.  He left on the last day of the window.  I would imagine Röhl knew by then he wasn’t getting a direct replacement.

Coventry was just one player. 

I'd be amazed if Röhl didn't have others he was interested in.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not sure I subscribe to that idea tbh. It's standard practice for clubs to not move players on, until a replacement is signed. It's often cited as the main reason why the January transfer window is so slow. 

If Röhl was after a midfielder to replace Byers, you agree a deal in principle with Blackpool, and only ratify it once a midfielder is signed.

I suspect it was more to do with Byers not willing to play 2nd fiddle, and wanted regular football in order to earn himself a move, instead of seeing his contract dwindle down sat on the bench. 

Unless there are contractual issues (eg appearances trigger extra payments or contract extensions) it makes sense to fill the spare places.

I'm confident DR will make the right decision.

59 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Not sure I subscribe to that idea tbh. It's standard practice for clubs to not move players on, until a replacement is signed. It's often cited as the main reason why the January transfer window is so slow. 

If Röhl was after a midfielder to replace Byers, you agree a deal in principle with Blackpool, and only ratify it once a midfielder is signed.

I suspect it was more to do with Byers not willing to play 2nd fiddle, and wanted regular football in order to earn himself a move, instead of seeing his contract dwindle down sat on the bench. 

That's the way most clubs would do it, yes.

But it seems strange that we were clearly in the market for a central midfielder yet we allowed three to leave and failed to recruit any.

Would be interesting to see how Delgado does when fit as he does look to have some decent technique but lacked that pace to really make use of it when playing in Xiscos counter attacking team. Whether that changes with what Röhl is doing who knows but we do seem to start attacks higher up the pitch 

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That may or may not be correct.  What is certain is that he would have known by deadline day no one was coming in.  You know, the day he allowed Byers to leave.  It’s clear to see the two decisions were not related.

12 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

That may or may not be correct.  What is certain is that he would have known by deadline day no one was coming in.  You know, the day he allowed Byers to leave.  It’s clear to see the two decisions were not related.

The vast majority of deals happen on deadline day.

It's not inconceivable that we were trying to get other deals over the line up to the final hours.

Either way, it's left us short in the centre of the pitch if either Bannan or Vaulks get injured.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The vast majority of deals happen on deadline day.

It's not inconceivable that we were trying to get other deals over the line up to the final hours.

Either way, it's left us short in the centre of the pitch if either Bannan or Vaulks get injured.

I think it’s time you accepted that Byers wasn’t in the manager’s plans.  I trust his judgement, perhaps you ought to.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I think it’s time you accepted that Byers wasn’t in the manager’s plans.  I trust his judgement, perhaps you ought to.

Eh?

I've accepted that Byers clearly wasn't in Röhl's plans.

I just also think it's clear he wanted to strengthen the centre of midfield, too.

🤷‍♂️

Think all 3 would serve a purpose being registered to be honest. Delgado like said above clearly has something, and I'll not be judging him when playing out of position in the dullest system I've seen at S6 this century. He would be handy off the bench at right wing back if Pol is ever struggling. Gregory for me would be a bigger goal threat than Smith and Fletcher so he'd be worth adding to the squad and we're clearly very light in centre midfield so Hendrick would be a decent back up with all that experience, and probably would be our biggest goal threat from centre mid, which doesn't say much because none of them score a goal who play there.