FA Cup 2024

13 hours ago, Night King said:

Magic of the cup. So far only one team has beaten a team from a higher league in this seasons third round. 

Magic of the cup? Only Leicester, Portsmouth and Everton outside the big 5 have won it since 91. Don't know why anyone gives a throw about the cup tbh

• Like 1

FA CUP is so much than who wins the thing, of course the biggest clubs stand the greatest chance of winning it, that is why Wigan's victory means so much. Over 700 clubs enter it and for some clubs just making the first round is a massive achievement. Maidstone deserve all the plaudits they are getting. Those giant killing games live long in the memories of fans. 

I was at the Wrexham game when they beat Arsenal, no one thought they would win the thing, but the fact that game is still talked about today shows what a magic competition it is. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

FA CUP is so much than who wins the thing, of course the biggest clubs stand the greatest chance of winning it, that is why Wigan's victory means so much. Over 700 clubs enter it and for some clubs just making the first round is a massive achievement. Maidstone deserve all the plaudits they are getting. Those giant killing games live long in the memories of fans. 

I was at the Wrexham game when they beat Arsenal, no one thought they would win the thing, but the fact that game is still talked about today shows what a magic competition it is. 

That's what it's about for most clubs. We'd all love to do a Wigan or Portsmouth but I'd just be happy for a decent run and a big scalp at Hillsborough.

• Like 1

Believing in the 'magic of the cup ' is really now for teams league 1 downwards.

Premier league teams use it as a chance to rest first team players,  and increasingly that goes for Championship clubs as well. 

There's no reward for winning the FA Cup, and a generation has moved on since it was up there with winning the league. There's barely any managers now that would get misty eyed over it, dreaming of leading a team out in a blazer and tie. 

I couldn't tell you has won it or been in the final in the last 10 years. Man City could have won it every year for all I know. 

It may have lost its magic but at this level, for clubs without parachute payments, a good cup run is a decent earner as well. Getting to the semis is worth a few million with the prize money, TV fees and gate money along the way. Could be the difference between getting a few decent players in or not.

Also it's not just about the big 5 winning it most years, getting to the final itself is a huge deal for the fans of clubs who rarely get there. In the last 20ish years off the top of my head the smaller clubs who've got to the final have included Watford, Palace, Stoke, Hull, Southampton, West Ham, Millwall, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Wigan, Leicester. They may not all have won it, and a lot of people may not remember the finals, but those fans will cherish the memories of those cup runs forever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Believing in the 'magic of the cup ' is really now for teams league 1 downwards.

Premier league teams use it as a chance to rest first team players,  and increasingly that goes for Championship clubs as well. 

There's no reward for winning the FA Cup, and a generation has moved on since it was up there with winning the league. There's barely any managers now that would get misty eyed over it, dreaming of leading a team out in a blazer and tie. 

I couldn't tell you has won it or been in the final in the last 10 years. Man City could have won it every year for all I know. 

To be fair to the pl teams I think nearly all of them have named very strong teams just making a normal number of changes. Not wholesale changes like some previous seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Night King said:

To be fair to the pl teams I think nearly all of them have named very strong teams just making a normal number of changes. Not wholesale changes like some previous seasons. 

I think with then having a staggered winter break has allowed them to put out stronger sides. Spurs didn't make wholesale changes and I'm sure they are desperate to win the thing. Will be interesting to see what teams Liverpool, Arsenal and City put out today.

Just now, lukeyswfc said:

The choices on Tv have been poor.

Id have quite like to watch Shrewsbury v Wrexham. Not so bothered about Arsenal Liverpool that will be on TV twice a season minimum anyway.

That’s on tv 

4 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Id have quite like to watch Shrewsbury v Wrexham. Not so bothered about Arsenal Liverpool that will be on TV twice a season minimum anyway.

Got bored of Huddersfield sitting 11 players behind the ball. Watching Shrews & Wrexham now on SC4

11 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

That’s on TV, but generally agree with you 

Would liked to have seen Leeds v Peterborough