Klopp - criticising fans!!

Rogers

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has told any supporter "not in the right shape" for Saturday's top-of-the-table Premier League encounter with leaders Arsenal to give their ticket to someone else.

Klopp - whose side are a point behind the Gunners - criticised the Anfield atmosphere during Wednesday's 5-1 Carabao Cup quarter-final win over West Ham.

The Reds galloped to their joint-biggest win of the season to book a two-legged last-four encounter with Fulham. Yet, despite goals for his side from Dominik Szoboszlai, Cody Gakpo, Mohamed Salah and Curtis Jones, who scored twice, Klopp felt the atmosphere inside the stadium was flat.

That was even though it was just the second time there were 57,000 present after the opening of the upper tier of the Anfield Road Stand.

After Sunday's goalless draw with Manchester United, television pundit Gary Neville said: "The atmosphere was the worst I've seen at Anfield ever.

"I've always been complimentary of Liverpool fans. It's the biggest crowd they've had here in 60 or 70 years but it's the quietest crowd I've seen in this game."

And Klopp was no more complimentary after the win over West Ham.

"In the first half, when the boys played exceptionally, I was not overly happy with the atmosphere behind me," he said.

"I asked people: 'What do they want?' We changed a lot of things and we dominated West Ham like crazy and missed chances. If I was in the stands, I would be on my toes, 1,000%.

"I don't know if the Man United game was that bad that we have to say sorry we didn't smash them?"

Are they too many tourist fans at Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea?   

28 minutes ago, darra said:

It was saying on the radio this morning that fans are complaining about high ticket prices and the number of games being played at the moment making it unaffordable. 

Well, that's the price of being a modern day footballing powerhouse.

Not saying it's right, but that's what Liverpool are these days.

As for Klopp, he's probably one of the few managers who can get away with that.

Truth is that the Anfield atmosphere is a bit of a myth. Tremendous for European nights and other big games, flat as a pancake for most other matches.

Reason it was flat on Sunday is because they expected to win comfortably. Last night...well, it's West Ham in the quarter final of the cup isn't it.

He's such a nasty piece of work, I'm not sure this will go down well with fans. 

Even if he has a point about the atmosphere, there can be many mitigating factors. At least they are coming through the door. 

Football has always been somewhere where you can forget your troubles for a couple of hours, but maybe the struggles of your average working class fan now just can't be wiped out leading to a more subdued atmosphere. 

Just such a negative take from Klopp, he could have been encouraging rather than critical, but that's not his style. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, darra said:

It was saying on the radio this morning that fans are complaining about high ticket prices and the number of games being played at the moment making it unaffordable. 

I’m sure the tourists will buy them for the one off experience 

• Like 1

Now the grounds bigger they could probably do with doing what Real Madrid do and have a section just for the actual fans to create an atmosphere.

It’ll be loaded with tourists now.

Plus football is expensive, life is expensive and it’s Christmas. Not surprising people are giving it a miss. How much was a ticket?

3 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

Corporates init. It did for the atmosphere at ManU and it'll do the same for the atmosphere at Anfield. 

Foreign business men paying 2grand a ticket aren't going to be belting out Freddie and the Dreamers hits

Or Gerry and the Pacemakers.................................................they made it famous. I've forgot who originally did "Never Walk Alone"

Prefer "Ferry Across the Mersey" myself

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

Or Gerry and the Pacemakers.................................................they made it famous. I've forgot who originally did "Never Walk Alone"

Prefer "Ferry Across the Mersey" myself

I think Celtic sang it first.

Dortmund sing it too.

It's no more unique to Liverpool than high ho is to Wednesday, but the Scousers have smartly managed to lay ownership to it.

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

I think Celtic sang it first.

Dortmund sing it too.

It's no more unique to Liverpool than high ho is to Wednesday, but the Scousers have smartly managed to lay ownership to it.

There is always the debate about who adopted the song first

I believe its originally from a musical but undoubtedly hugely popularised by Gerry and Co

It seems to make more sense that the song was adopted by a scouse team from a scouse band than a bunch of other fans found it from some obscure musical tbh

But not a hill id be prepared to die on...

Edited by scram

1 hour ago, scram said:

There is always the debate about who adopted the song first

I believe its originally from a musical but undoubtedly hugely popularised by Gerry and Co

It seems to make more sense that the song was adopted by a scouse team from a scouse band than a bunch of other fans found it from some obscure musical tbh

But not a hill id be prepared to die on...

You'll Never Walk Alone was not Marsden's song – it started life as a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel.

• Thanks 2