New Head of Recruitment Appointed

42 minutes ago, 1867tim said:

OK ... firstly I have to say I thought SYPTE was a bizarre name for a bus company, but I got used to it and SYMCA really takes the chocolate digestive.  Now, let's say we are not just nerdy SYMCA bus spotters, but seemingly addicted to their use to the extent that we never like to miss any bus and that our addiction has led us to micro watch and comment on everything the chairman of  SYMCA does.  Should we say:

1.  Oh, so now you have buses and drivers.  That's a good thing for us.  Now, about your pricing and ...

2.  Say nothing on SYMCATALK and wait to see what happens next. (Some addicts find this difficult)

3.  Ignore the fact and keep on complaining that the chairman never does anything right.

4.  Ignore the fact, keep complaining and hope that the drivers feck off at the first opportunity.

I spent my first 35 years taking the 2, 3 and 4 attitude in most areas of my life.  Nowadays, if the bus company owner didn't have a driver and now he's got one, I'm happier.  If the corner shop didn't have chocolate digestive and now it does, yippee.  It's like if my wife stopped buying lingerie and then said " Honey, ..."  

She hasn’t stopped buying lingerie 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Marc_Degryse said:

A strong CV but most of his experience is with youth scouting, not first team.

As we don't bother to develop young players / let the decent ones we do have go on frees or for a pittance, it's difficult to see how he fits in with our established model. Granted he'd be a good signing for 95% of clubs at this level, just not with our sheet show of an administrative function.

Unless we've realised that the only way out of our general predicament is to build a strong core of youth players?

🐷✈️

I must've imagined Bailey starting the last two games and being offered an improved contract by us...

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 1867tim said:

I think for most people, it is quite basic really.  If we think someone has done something wrong, we point it out the issue, the potential consequences and suggest corrective action.  If we feel someone has done something right - especially, after being wrong - we acknowledge, praise and encourage them.  That's how people relate, it's not kissing arrse.  Being unable to do that, is a bit like licking your own.  I've got my grip, thank you,  yours seems gripey, grudgy and unhealthy to me.

I think for most Chairman, it's quite basic really. Ours on the otherhand, is a clusterfuck.

Numerous times people have attempted to point out things he's done wrong, the potential consequences and suggested corrective actions. Each time, he's failed to heed the advice. If I was dealing with a child, then yes, my approach would be as you have outlined. But we are not dealing with a child here, but a fully grown adult, who by his admission only, is a businessman. Nothing so far is backing that up.

What he has done is something extremely basic. If you feel you need to heep praise for something so fundamental as appointing a Head Of Recruitment, then you are obviously pandering to his ego. He doesn't need praise, he's needs a kick up the arsse. Metaphorically not literally of course. If he was to stand aside, appoint someone to sit between him and the management team, and hand over all responsibilites to that person for the day-to-day running of the club, then I would say "well done". But not for recruiting a member of staff, who we needed to replace, probably due to Chansiri himself. It's yet another situation he's likely created through his own arrogance.

The only encouragement he needs, is to pack up and go. If you feel my comments are gripey, grudgy or unhealthy, then that's something you've decided. That's certainly not my position. I don't go through the day carrying this around with me, as I have better use for my head space than filling it with all things Chansiri.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, McRightSide said:

We very nearly recruited a new head of finance from a club in our league - which many of you hold as a model of how to run a club 

He met Chansiri a number of times and was close to agreeing but in the end it was more personal reasons that prevented him from joining

He didn’t have any issues with Chansiri or what he wanted from the role.

Am always amazed how little our FD gets mentioned given all the financial issues we’ve had. It’s no secret it’s John Redgate - he like Channers doesn’t live in Sheffield, I can’t recall Radio Sheff have ever spoken to him. No big deal but he knows what’s what.

8 minutes ago, Stan Dupowls said:

Am always amazed how little our FD gets mentioned given all the financial issues we’ve had. It’s no secret it’s John Redgate - he like Channers doesn’t live in Sheffield, I can’t recall Radio Sheff have ever spoken to him. No big deal but he knows what’s what.

Is he still FD. He was a regular in the box for a long time. Not seen him for a few years. 

57 minutes ago, 1867tim said:

Are you basing that on your experience with your wife or is it just a wild and nasty stab in the dark?

it was a humorous if slightly cheeky remark hoping to give a little giggle in the dark cold night of the winter. I will in future try and refrain from commenting on your posts as you are so obviously the tedious sort, with a  lack of humour. I meant no harm and apologies for offending your sensitive nature .

All the best to you. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

it was a humorous if slightly cheeky remark hoping to give a little giggle in the dark cold night of the winter. I will in future try and refrain from commenting on your posts as you are so obviously the tedious sort, with a  lack of humour. I meant no harm and apologies for offending your sensitive nature .

All the best to you. 

I too was trying to be humorous. Sorry to seem tedious.  All the best to you, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Is he still FD. He was a regular in the box for a long time. Not seen him for a few years. 

Yes he is….was vulnerable to Covid so not a regular back up here. No excuses now tho…!

Interestingly I do know Channers has preferred (or been forced to) rentals and loans on anything compared to cash out - unless for first team players. 
Also, and frustratingly he doesn’t believe in the Academy. I recon Danny and co. will force that issue tho’ big time!

What a bloody great appointment. Fantastic experience. Working with all the best managers and teams of the recent era of English football. 

Think last 3 years at Cardiff in very difficult circumstances the recruitment has been their saviour. 

Really looking forward to seeing moves in the transfer market in near future. Together with a manager who I think is going to be a legend if backed properly. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I think for most Chairman, it's quite basic really. Ours on the otherhand, is a clusterfuck.

Numerous times people have attempted to point out things he's done wrong, the potential consequences and suggested corrective actions. Each time, he's failed to heed the advice. If I was dealing with a child, then yes, my approach would be as you have outlined. But we are not dealing with a child here, but a fully grown adult, who by his admission only, is a businessman. Nothing so far is backing that up.

What he has done is something extremely basic. If you feel you need to heep praise for something so fundamental as appointing a Head Of Recruitment, then you are obviously pandering to his ego. He doesn't need praise, he's needs a kick up the arsse. Metaphorically not literally of course. If he was to stand aside, appoint someone to sit between him and the management team, and hand over all responsibilites to that person for the day-to-day running of the club, then I would say "well done". But not for recruiting a member of staff, who we needed to replace, probably due to Chansiri himself. It's yet another situation he's likely created through his own arrogance.

The only encouragement he needs, is to pack up and go. If you feel my comments are gripey, grudgy or unhealthy, then that's something you've decided. That's certainly not my position. I don't go through the day carrying this around with me, as I have better use for my head space than filling it with all things Chansiri.

Load of rubbish. Dc does something right and this us your response. Have fun walking in rain on your march. Seriously why even bother. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

You say the chairman is a clusterfuck, needs his arrse kicking and we should encourage him to pack up and go.  I say his recruitment since Xisco left has been exceptional, give credit where credit is due and we should encourage him to continue to resolve our many, many problems with similar outcomes.  So, we are diametrically opposed.  In the nature of things, the chairman will go at some point, I hope he puts thing right and that we all enjoy success before he goes.

31 minutes ago, 1867tim said:

You say the chairman is a clusterfuck, needs his arrse kicking and we should encourage him to pack up and go.  I say his recruitment since Xisco left has been exceptional, give credit where credit is due and we should encourage him to continue to resolve our many, many problems with similar outcomes.  So, we are diametrically opposed.  In the nature of things, the chairman will go at some point, I hope he puts thing right and that we all enjoy success before he goes.

This is how I see it….

Chansiri had the opportunity to appoint DR before the season started, but he went for XM instead. The one with the least impressive CV. We all know how that went, so let’s not dwell on that.

Second opportunity arises and he appoints DR, not a proven manager, but has a good philosophy about how a team should progress. So at this point (hopefully) this is where things started to alter. Chansiri listened to what DR was suggesting. Getting in the right people to run the footballing side and improving a team low on confidence, confidence which had been lowered by Chansiri’s actions at the beginning of the season. There’s still a long way to go on improvements, recruitment and ultimately staying in the Championship. All which can be achieved under DR. So, yes partial credit to Chansiri for eventually doing something good, and let’s be honest, very lucky that DR was available.

But you always have that nagging feeling that he’s only a small step away from an embarrassing rant and undoing all that goodness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1