Benjamin Mendy Not Guilty

BIG D

I understand the conviction rate for rape is quite low. 

Just because someone isn't convicted, doesn't automatically mean the allegations were false and made up. 

Edited by SiJ

On 13/01/2023 at 20:31, SiJ said:

I understand the conviction rate for rape is quite low. 

Just because someone isn't convicted, doesn't automatically mean the allegations were false and made up. 

I think the reason that the conviction rate is quite low is probably because it’s usually one persons word against another.

Does one believer the accuser’s account of what happened or the defendant ?

There aren’t often third party or independent witnesses to corroborate or provide testimony as to what did or didn’t happen.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2023 at 03:42, MSN SYSOP said:

So we can ralk about this which is still a live trial........but we can't talk about Hillsborough disaster which we lots know what happened that day.

Why are you diverting this thread? Weird behaviour.

it's great that people on here are educating people that perhaps have attitudes that may add to the reasons why women don't report rape, yet you are trying to divert the topic onto something totally different.

I'd politely suggest that it you want to once again go over the Hillsborough disaster that you do it somewhere else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

I think the reason that the conviction rate is quite low is probably because it’s usually one persons word against another.

There aren’t often third party or independent witnesses to corroborate or provide testimony as to what did or didn’t happen.

Probably lots of other variables too. 

Like who has the best lawyer etc 

Or the money for the best one etc 

On 13/01/2023 at 13:56, I Love Coffee said:

Criminal charges need bringing against those who raised these fake allegations

I never understand comments like this. "Strange" that it only get said in cases of Rape or sexual assault.

nobody ever suggest this if it's any other crime. Say I get I to a kerfuffle, injury someone, go  to court get found not guilty due to lack of evidance. No-one suggests that the accuser should be charged for lying.

And people wonder why so many people do not report these types of incidents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

Bang on, often no physical evidence and (quite rightly) our  system follows "beyond reasonable doubt"  this of course means that with any crime, justice isn't forthcoming in some situations.

Too many people do not understand the consent law and victims also have there.lifestyle under scrutiny. That old view of prostitutes can't be raped if they are at"work"

On 14/01/2023 at 03:42, MSN SYSOP said:

So we can ralk about this which is still a live trial........but we can't talk about Hillsborough disaster which we lots know what happened that day.

Why do you want to keep talking about something that happened 34 years ago?

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2023 at 13:56, Guest I Love Coffee said:

Criminal charges need bringing against those who raised these fake allegations

What possible crime do you think they have committed?

Just because something doesn't meet the standard of evidence to secure a conviction beyond reasonable doubt, doesn't mean the allegations are fake.

45 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

What possible crime do you think they have committed?

Just because something doesn't meet the standard of evidence to secure a conviction beyond reasonable doubt, doesn't mean the allegations are fake.

Agree with you but what if they are? Shouldn’t there be further investigation?

Just now, Plonk said:

Agree with you but what if they are? Shouldn’t there be further investigation?

How?

If you can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that something was rape, you aren't going to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it wasn't rape, either.

In fact, given that there was clearly enough evidence for the CPS to feel it was worthwhile taking the case to trial in the first place, it's even harder.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owlinexile said:

How?

If you can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that something was rape, you aren't going to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it wasn't rape, either.

In fact, given that there was clearly enough evidence for the CPS to feel it was worthwhile taking the case to trial in the first place, it's even harder.

I didn’t say it was easy I was asking if it should happen. I think if evidence is provided in court to disprove the allegation ( which it must have been for a not guilty result) that evidence should be investigated. Not just in rape cases I hasten to add, but it rarely happens unless a trial judge recommends it. It does seem to be a weakness in the legal system. How many miscarriage of justice cases where it is shown the police fabricated evidence result in further enquiries? Getting way of the subject but felt the need to respond. 

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

I didn’t say it was easy I was asking if it should happen. I think if evidence is provided in court to disprove the allegation ( which it must have been for a not guilty result) that evidence should be investigated. Not just in rape cases I hasten to add, but it rarely happens unless a trial judge recommends it. It does seem to be a weakness in the legal system. How many miscarriage of justice cases where it is shown the police fabricated evidence result in further enquiries? Getting way of the subject but felt the need to respond. 

You do realise the vast majority of rape claims never make it to court, right?

And you realise that the overwhelming majority of rape cases that do go to court result in not guilty, right?

So, far from putting an even tougher burden on the victims there needs to be a real look at reforming how rape cases are assessed and tried

14 minutes ago, scram said:

You do realise the vast majority of rape claims never make it to court, right?

And you realise that the overwhelming majority of rape cases that do go to court result in not guilty, right?

So, far from putting an even tougher burden on the victims there needs to be a real look at reforming how rape cases are assessed and tried

Scram I did say I wasn’t referring exclusively to rape cases. And yes I understand those statistics a lot better than you could understand. But I have also seen a lot of cases where the complainant or their witnesses have blatantly lied with no repercussions. But I also agree that absolutely nothing should be done to make it difficult for victims to get justice.