VAR

15 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The problem at the moment is that the video footage doesn't have a combined resolution and framerate of a high enough quality/speed for the graphic overlays. The coloured lines are accurate and sharp, but they're being overlaid onto video footage that's subject to significant motion blur and lack of clarity. Because of that disparity, it cannot provide the accuracy needed for a black-and-white rule.

So what's your solution besides scrapping VAR?

14 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

So what's your solution besides scrapping VAR?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, having a margin for error with a so-called 'soft signal' from the on-field officials like they have in cricket would help in the short term (although - as I said earlier - I think they should have that with VAR anyway, not just because of the current flawed technology).

And then they should invest more in better technology. Wildlife documentaries - for example - have been using extreme super-slo-mo footage that is of high resolution and record at incredible frame rates for several years now. I'm not saying the technology is absolutely there yet - obviously there would need to be increased depths-of-field in football, for example, in order to ensure all the players are in focus at the same time - but I can't imagine it being far off (and the DoF question may potentially be solvable with technical lenses with tilt/swing movements). And I can't imagine the powers that be are short of a few bob to invest in getting the very best equipment.

But at the moment with offside calls the current VAR system is being used to give a black-and-white answer that it physically cannot provide.

VAR was supposed to deal with ‘clear and obvious errors’

Let’s be right, actual clear and obvious errors occur at less than 1 per game.  It is literally difference of opinions

The 2 decisions at the weekend were IMO wrong and a travesty.  But someone somewhere will make the argument that they were correct - Bowen did make contact with the keeper, only one angle showed a foul by Mitchell etc 

The rules, the laws - they don’t solve the issue, because it was always ‘in the opinion of the referee’.

We think thundering challenges by our players are well-timed and fair - that same challenge on our player is an obvious red.

We’re going to spend years and millions of pounds trying to find a system that gives us the perfection that we can never, ever find.

• Like 2

What was is last weekend 4 or 5 clear and obvious calls VAR got wrong and only 1 overturned by the referee? I’m struggling to actually pick the worst offender, throw up between that West Ham disallowed goal & Newcastle. Shambles.

Stunning how now more than ever with all the £££ in the game it’s still ‘part time officials’ regulating the match and the ‘experts’ hundred of miles away with all the technology in the world can’t get it right.

The FA needs to invest in the recruitment, training and processes behind the VAR system & officials. You’ve got staff on minimum wage or just above over seeing matches where millions of pounds is at play. 

On 06/09/2022 at 12:27, punkskaphil said:

But at the moment with offside calls the current VAR system is being used to give a black-and-white answer that it physically cannot provide.

Correct.... The camera used a basis for offside decisions is on or around the 18 yard line.

This camera is in line with the players concerned in probably only 1 out of 100 cases, if that.

The solution would be to have an aray of hundreds of cameras the full length of the pitch. 

Ironically the only view that is directly in line is that of the assistant referee and he isn't infallible but neither is computer software.

12 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

What was is last weekend 4 or 5 clear and obvious calls VAR got wrong and only 1 overturned by the referee? I’m struggling to actually pick the worst offender, throw up between that West Ham disallowed goal & Newcastle. Shambles.

Stunning how now more than ever with all the £££ in the game it’s still ‘part time officials’ regulating the match and the ‘experts’ hundred of miles away with all the technology in the world can’t get it right.

The FA needs to invest in the recruitment, training and processes behind the VAR system & officials. You’ve got staff on minimum wage or just above over seeing matches where millions of pounds is at play. 

Officials are full time now, aren’t they?

If the FA needs to invest in anything, it’s the recruitment and training of more competent pitch officials.  And some sort of PR putting the likes of Allardyce, Hughes, Pulis and all the other dickheads back in their boxes.

NHL uses VAR but for some calls it's up to the coach to file a "protest"...

If the on-ice call is correct a 2 minute penalty is assessed against the team challenging the call.   The NHL control room does watch every shot on goal and will announce a goal that was missed (e.g. the puck goes in and out so fast nobody sees it) by sounding the horn in the building...  They also review plays where the puck may or may not have crossed the line (under goalie pads etc)...

These usually take a few seconds but there have been instances where it takes 5 or more minutes...  At least the clock is stopped...

MLS seems to do things differently to Premiership...   They can review missed penalty calls, red card infractions missed on the field, offside (officials are told to let the play finish where the call is "close" and then they can call back or allow any goal that results...

Overall - I do like the good old days - but unfortunately the good old days didn't have millions of dollars riding on the outcome....    Sports is all about money... sad but true...

I’ve always favoured a review system.

The tactical element people counter with really doesn’t sit with me. It’s literally no different to the current system except something isn’t checked unless a review is requested. The check wouldn’t come in unless the ball was out of play.

Why would you sacrifice a review to ‘slow the game down’ when you could need it to rule out a goal due to an offence missed by the officials very late in the game?

On 05/09/2022 at 15:28, StudentOwl said:

That literally never happens. It's any part of the body that can legally play the ball. No official anywhere has ever used an elbow. A shoulder maybe, but they're different parts of the body...

If y'all can find me one instance where the elbow was used, I'll retract my statement immediately

Infairness they used Bamfords arm last season. 

In hindsight that's a great decision though 🤣

VAR is just being overused that's the issue, on offside unless there's clear daylight between attacker and defender let it go.

On other decisions like the West Ham or even worse the Newcastle one then the VAR officials need some sort of punishment and told to come out and explain there decisions.

12 hours ago, Waddle93 said:

VAR is just being overused that's the issue, on offside unless there's clear daylight between attacker and defender let it go.

On other decisions like the West Ham or even worse the Newcastle one then the VAR officials need some sort of punishment and told to come out and explain there decisions.

Definitiely over-used.

Seems like every decision and around the box has to go to review. Why?  Is someone basically saying the on-field officials are wrong? Then why have on-field officials?

"Clear and obvious error" was the mantra to justify this boondoggle, yet most reviews are for the obscure and barely seeable.

• Like 1