VAR

Why can't they get it right?

Use feet to show whether they are offside.  An elbow being offside is ridiculous.

Take away the pitchside monitor and tell the ref to overturn the decision, like cricket and rugby.

Have some consistency....

It's supposed to help the refs, the players and the fans, all it's doing is annoying everyone.

• Like 2

The offsides are ridiculous

But i think even worse is theyve got refs overturning decisions that they made, which even when slowed down and stopped are still not clear. 

The West Ham one yesterday sickening. The Arsenal one today was so soft and not an obvious error so why even does it go back.

I feel annoyed for teams i dont even like.

VAR in world cup and Europeans has generally been good.

Its Premier League where its overused.

"The goalkeeper comes to take it, and actually fumbles it out of his hands five or six yards, so he could never recover it," said Moyes, who added he was "embarrassed" for VAR official Jarred Gillett. "Then he acted as if he had a shoulder injury. I'm amazed that VAR sent the referee to see it.

🙄 

Nothing wrong with VAR, it's the muppets who are telling the on pitch refs to re look at things. I loved how Michael Oliver went against it, more should be doing that. He should have done it yesterday at Old Trafford because that's never in a million years a foul on Eriksen. The worst of the weekend has to be the Bowen one though, how has any premiership referee recommended someone to review that? Where is Bowen meant to go? He can't make his foot disappear around Mendy. Murphy was spot on when he said on MOTD that ex pro's should sit alongside the refs at Stockley park,  and actually give the refs an opinion and some help from a footballers point of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Nothing wrong with VAR, it's the muppets who are telling the on pitch refs to re look at things. I loved how Michael Oliver went against it, more should be doing that. He should have done it yesterday at Old Trafford because that's never in a million years a foul on Eriksen. The worst of the weekend has to be the Bowen one though, how has any premiership referee recommended someone to review that? Where is Bowen meant to go? He can't make his foot disappear around Mendy. Murphy was spot on when he said on MOTD that ex pro's should sit alongside the refs at Stockley park,  and actually give the refs an opinion and some help from a footballers point of view.

But most ex-pros don't know the rules

• Like 1

Agree with the OP that offside should be judged on where a player’s feet are. Yes, you can score a goal with other parts of your body that aren’t your feet, but offside is about where you are when the ball is played, and you don’t run on your shoulders. It’s a really stupid interpretation of the offside law. 

With VAR… I’ve always thought that football should use a review system, each team gets two VAR reviews a game and once they’re used up, the ref’s decision is final. Reviewing every single decision with VAR is overkill, it’s completely tedious

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Agree with the OP that offside should be judged on where a player’s feet are. Yes, you can score a goal with other parts of your body that aren’t your feet, but offside is about where you are when the ball is played, and you don’t run on your shoulders. It’s a really stupid interpretation of the offside law. 

With VAR… I’ve always thought that football should use a review system, each team gets two VAR reviews a game and once they’re used up, the ref’s decision is final. Reviewing every single decision with VAR is overkill, it’s completely tedious

Personally, and I've said it on here before, I think a better idea is to allow the officials a small margin for error, just like they do with the 'umpire's call' in cricket. If it's a very close decision that would otherwise lead to them replaying the footage several times or trying to locate relative positions of toes or limbs, then they just revert back to the referee's on-field decision. That way only serious errors would be overturned, which was supposed to be what VAR was for in the first place.

• Like 2

They should not pull play back for a foul in the buildup, unless it's a red card challenge. 

Offside should not require 10 lines and 15 freezeframes for a decision. 

Penalties should be given/not given only if it's clear and obvious. If you have to rewind 15 times to see if there was/wasn't contact, then it's not a clear n obvious foul/dive.

I just wish they'd use it to assist referee's rather than make every decision "The correct one, by the letter of the rules"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Personally, and I've said it on here before, I think a better idea is to allow the officials a small margin for error, just like they do with the 'umpire's call' in cricket. If it's a very close decision that would otherwise lead to them replaying the footage several times or trying to locate relative positions of toes or limbs, then they just revert back to the referee's on-field decision. That way only serious errors would be overturned, which was supposed to be what VAR was for in the first place.

Cricket as a sport has a much better approach to the use of video technology. Obviously by nature it’s much more stop-start than football, but still. 

Personally I think a review system would add a bit of extra drama — used both your reviews up in the first half and the opposites have just scored a dodgy last minute winner? Deal with it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Which pro's do you get?  you see pundits who are ex forwards lean towards attacking play and ex defenders and goalies have a different opinion.  

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

Personally I think a review system would add a bit of extra drama — used both your reviews up in the first half and the opposites have just scored a dodgy last minute winner? Deal with it

True, but then you have the opposite effect where teams will use it tactically, which wasn't the reason for VAR to be brought in. For example, Wednesday pull it back to 2-1 in injury time and want to get things going again quickly, the opposition decide to use their remaining review to stall things and nullify our momentum. Wednesday lose. It's not so much of a problem in cricket because it's not such a time-limited sport.

The other thing is that the reason people wanted VAR in the first place as to put an end to really bad refereeing mistakes. A review system wouldn't put an end to them - it would just put an end to the ones that a team reviews.

At the weekend we saw how badly the officials behind VAR are operating it. In your example you could have the VAR ref getting it wrong twice so you lose your two reviews unfairly, and then when the on-field ref makes a terrible mistake with the dodgy last minute winner there would be nothing you could do about it. You'd be absolutely apoplectic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Totally agree. Rather than take 5 minutes looking over and over again at whether a players big toe is offside go with the refs original decision like as you say in cricket.

21 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

Why can't they get it right?

Use feet to show whether they are offside.  An elbow being offside is ridiculous.

That literally never happens. It's any part of the body that can legally play the ball. No official anywhere has ever used an elbow. A shoulder maybe, but they're different parts of the body...

If y'all can find me one instance where the elbow was used, I'll retract my statement immediately

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

That literally never happens. It's any part of the body that can legally play the ball. No official anywhere has ever used an elbow. A shoulder maybe, but they're different parts of the body...

If y'all can find me one instance where the elbow was used, I'll retract my statement immediately

Fans rage at VAR once again as Liverpool's Roberto Firmino denied goal due to marginal offside | Daily Mail Online