Steven Gerrard

Think he lost a key member of his coaching staff in the summer? Read a few suggesting that member of staff was the brains behind the operation. 

In any event, I don't think the fact that he's "Stevie G", Liverpool legend, counts for a great deal when you are managing a club the size of Aston Villa. If anything, it might eventually work against him. 

Villa have spent an awful lot of money since they got back into the PL and bar them staying up, it's hard to see where they've made a great deal of improvement. 

Gerrard appears to be a downgrade on the bloke he replaced in Dean Smith. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think he lost a key member of his coaching staff in the summer? Read a few suggesting that member of staff was the brains behind the operation. 

In any event, I don't think the fact that he's "Stevie G", Liverpool legend, counts for a great deal when you are managing a club the size of Aston Villa. If anything, it might eventually work against him. 

Villa have spent an awful lot of money since they got back into the PL and bar them staying up, it's hard to see where they've made a great deal of improvement. 

Gerrard appears to be a downgrade on the bloke he replaced in Dean Smith. 

Given time he should turn things round, but what some clubs don't give managers is time

3 wins in 15 is appalling. Next up they face Arsenal and then Man City so it doesn't get any easier 

He would have been better off staying at Rangers for a few more years as he was onto a good thing there and then move to Liverpool but his failure at Villa will scupper that

As for Lampard he'll get Everton relegated

• Like 2

At the time, you would think that Rangers was a great place to prepare him for a future PL job. 

Now, the more I think about it, the less sure I am about that. 

Whilst Liverpool weren't the winning machine they are now during Gerrard's playing time, they were still one of the top clubs in the country and won more often than they lost, picked up numerous trophies etc. 

He then goes and manages a club where you effectively have one competitor and are expected to win every single week. 

At no point in Stevie G's career, has he really had to deal with what he is having to do so now, which is a group of largely middling PL players who are going to have good weeks and bad weeks. I just wonder if we are looking at someone who was a top player and can't wrap his head around why the group he's managing now can't reach such standards. The team he had at Rangers isn't probably as good as this Villa team (on paper), but they were the first or second best group of players in Scotland and by a distance. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, SiJ said:

At the time, you would think that Rangers was a great place to prepare him for a future PL job. 

Now, the more I think about it, the less sure I am about that. 

Whilst Liverpool weren't the winning machine they are now during Gerrard's playing time, they were still one of the top clubs in the country and won more often than they lost, picked up numerous trophies etc. 

He then goes and manages a club where you effectively have one competitor and are expected to win every single week. 

At no point in Stevie G's career, has he really had to deal with what he is having to do so now, which is a group of largely middling PL players who are going to have good weeks and bad weeks. I just wonder if we are looking at someone who was a top player and can't wrap his head around why the group he's managing now can't reach such standards. The team he had at Rangers isn't probably as good as this Villa team (on paper), but they were the first or second best group of players in Scotland and by a distance. 

It's a bit of a throwaway remark but anybody who's half decent playing Fifa would have a decent chance managing Rangers or Celtic to the title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, darra said:

It's a bit of a throwaway remark but anybody who's half decent playing Fifa would have a decent chance managing Rangers or Celtic to the title.

As would a blind man, fail with either of those you should be anywhere near a football team

20 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

In 2 years time both Wednesday and Villa will be swapping divisions, I'm convinced of that, they will end up like us and Derby with a points deduction

No chance, Villa have had their blip and come through it ok