Steven Gerrard

18 hours ago, darra said:

It's a bit of a throwaway remark but anybody who's half decent playing Fifa would have a decent chance managing Rangers or Celtic to the title.

Well Gerrard didn’t do very well then and maybe they should have got a Fifa player. He won 1 trophy out of 9 in his time at Sevco. Fewer cups than St Johnstone managed with a twentieth of his budget.

On 29/08/2022 at 11:00, SiJ said:

Think he lost a key member of his coaching staff in the summer? Read a few suggesting that member of staff was the brains behind the operation. 

In any event, I don't think the fact that he's "Stevie G", Liverpool legend, counts for a great deal when you are managing a club the size of Aston Villa. If anything, it might eventually work against him. 

Villa have spent an awful lot of money since they got back into the PL and bar them staying up, it's hard to see where they've made a great deal of improvement. 

Gerrard appears to be a downgrade on the bloke he replaced in Dean Smith. 

Michael Beale - he joined QPR in the summer.

Gerrard sets the blue print for what he wanted and it was down to Beale and Tom Coulson to implement it.

Everything I’ve heard about Beale has been extremely positive so I hope he makes it.

As for Gerrard - the Villa move always seemed questionable as I did not see how it allows him to progress his move to Liverpool. It’s always a case of mid table mediocrity where you can either put some results together and are better than sliced bread or you get into a rut which quickly becomes a landslide 

Gerrard is a hero of mine - a great player, stopped ten in a row and is now turning that lot into a rabble. Keep it up Stevie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Well Gerrard didn’t do very well then and maybe they should have got a Fifa player. He won 1 trophy out of 9 in his time at Sevco. Fewer cups than St Johnstone managed with a twentieth of his budget.

What was the budget gap between Rangers and Celtic after they had a 10 year head start and uninterrupted access to Europe? Or between the sides they’ve punched above their weight against in Europe?

Regardless, it wasn’t a particular secret that Beale was a big part of the Rangers setup and it was always going to be a test for Gerrard without him. 

I never understood moving to Villa as being a better career move in terms of wanting the Liverpool job. Managing Rangers gave Gerrard experience of title challenges, deep runs into multiple cups (with expectations to win them) and Europe. He gets experience of none of that at Villa. The only thing he gets more of in the PL is eyeballs, and they’re currently all watching him do a sh*t job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

What was the budget gap between Rangers and Celtic after they had a 10 year head start and uninterrupted access to Europe?

Not actually that big, because just like the old club who died and cheated the taxpayer out of over one hundred million pounds, the new club has spent money way beyond what they can afford in order to try to keep pace with their rivals.

And with the Scottish coefficient being low at the time and with the half empty stadiums in Sevco’s absence, the money that Celtic were getting when their rivals weren’t around was a lot less. And Rangers were rightly made to start again at the bottom. It wasn’t some unfair punishment. They were there because they were liquidated, they started again, the license for the old club no longer had relevance and could not be used. That club was gone along with their debts. New company, new start, new licence = League 2.

Or between the sides they’ve punched above their weight against in Europe? 

They’ve performed excellently in Europe and punched way above their weight but that was pretty much all GvB. The run to the final was not Gerrard. And they do deserve huge credit for that to be fair.

Regardless, it wasn’t a particular secret that Beale was a big part of the Rangers setup and it was always going to be a test for Gerrard without him. 

I agree. It has become clear that Beale was a lot of the brains behind the operation and he is struggling without him.

I never understood moving to Villa as being a better career move in terms of wanting the Liverpool job. Managing Rangers gave Gerrard experience of title challenges, deep runs into multiple cups (with expectations to win them) and Europe. He gets experience of none of that at Villa. The only thing he gets more of in the PL is eyeballs, and they’re currently all watching him do a sh*t job.

Villa was a strange choice I agree but he felt it was the right choice to make. If people are honest about his time in Glasgow he only challenged for the title once (the year they won it) and he only ever made 1 cup final which he lost. He didn’t really get the deep runs in the cups that you say. I think overall other than the Covid season title that he won, and a few results in Europe (which GvB later eclipsed) his time at Rangers was a failure. 

36 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Villa was a strange choice I agree but he felt it was the right choice to make. If people are honest about his time in Glasgow he only challenged for the title once (the year they won it) and he only ever made 1 cup final which he lost. He didn’t really get the deep runs in the cups that you say. I think overall other than the Covid season title that he won, and a few results in Europe (which GvB later eclipsed) his time at Rangers was a failure. 

Rangers still had decent European runs prior to last season and reached domestic semi’s and finals, although I agree reaching the final last year was on GvB. Something was “off” at Rangers before he went to Villa and I don’t think they reach that final under Gerrard if he stayed.

That said, I don’t think you will find many Rangers fans who regard stopping the 10 and delivering 55 in an unbeaten season as “failure”. Yes he should have won more, particularly in terms of Scottish cups, but credit has to go where it’s due for that season (even if it’s to Beale..)

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 1