Moore

11 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Unfortunately he thinks he's a master tactician, he isn't.

Does he?  And if he doesn't, he's realistic enough to do what he thinks best.  That;'s what he gets paid for.  He tacticianed his way to the best home record in the country last season and a more than respectable position given that his team didn't know each other at the start.  Give him break - but I guess that's never going to happen...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Some of the reaction is over the top , but equally the apologists are really pushing the envelope as well.

Just in the last 12 hours on here

The red card wasn`t DM,s fault

The Byers / Smith spat wasn`t DM,s fault

Allowing free headers wasn`t DM,s fault

Paterson not being a natural striker isn`t DM,s fault

Interested to hear how the red card was the managers fault to be fair 

26 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Interested to hear how the red card was the managers fault to be fair 

Yep..........I,ll give you that , but you get the point I,m making , he is being absolved of things that ARE under his control , and his backers are just as one eyed as some of those who leap on him every verse end.

12 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Yep..........I,ll give you that , but you get the point I,m making , he is being absolved of things that ARE under his control , and his backers are just as one eyed as some of those who leap on him every verse end.

I think with these things and at this level nothing will be perfect, even Warne at Rotherham had some stinkers last season. In this instance I think Moore needs a re think of how to prevent teams doing what Sunderland did ie pinning back our wing backs and ditching any zonal marking. Which I’ve always hated.

But by the same token if a ball is sailing over your box and through a defender who doesn’t head it then that’s frustrating and difficult for any manager as any change of system would suffer if basic things like that are going wrong.

When he came in and we got relegated I thought he was very Naive with a very limited tactical nouse.

Last season I still had the same feeling and thought he was outthought by other managers at times. He got us to the playoffs and deserved another shot this season.

This season we have not started as well as I would have expected with the players at his disposal.

Other managers seem to act more swiftly changing tactics and formations as the game unfolds. Darren seems slower doing this.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Lets calm down a bit win saturday  10 pts from 5 promotion form ,But i do not like 3-5-2  . Chansiri will step in if not in top 6  end of september .

Yes, on the face of it, but we could easily have drawn the matches with Charlton and MK Dons (fortunate penalty) based on the quality of our performances. That so we would now be on three points not seven. Fine lines TBF but the actual performances so far probably put us higher than we deserve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Does he?  And if he doesn't, he's realistic enough to do what he thinks best.  That;'s what he gets paid for.  He tacticianed his way to the best home record in the country last season and a more than respectable position given that his team didn't know each other at the start.  Give him break - but I guess that's never going to happen...

On the back of the good run in the second half of last season, he bottled it in the play-offs by reverting to the negative tactics so wastefully employed in the first half of the season. The squad was good enough for automatic promotion, the manager wasn't. He's been there 17 months now, time to deliver. Neill got Sunderland promoted  in just over four months of being in charge. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Because they want to blame the manager. Because they'll seize on any reason to blame the manager.

We played with 10 men for two thirds of the game. We were always in trouble from that point. That, and nothing else was the reason we lost.

Still, I'm sure someone will pop up to say that a "proper manager" would have found a way to win that.

I think we all knew this thread would appear as soon as we lost a game this season. 

We would probably have won last night were it not for the sending off. We were certainly well in the ascendancy at that point.

The reality is if you play with 10 men for an hour against a decent side you are very likely to lose. 

I personally would have kept Byers on but I doubt it would have changed the outcome. 

The telling thing will be how we bounce back against Bolton on Saturday. I won't say its a must win but we could very much do with the 3 points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think we all knew this thread would appear as soon as we lost a game this season. 

We would probably have won last night were it not for the sending off. We were certainly well in the ascendancy at that point.

The reality is if you play with 10 men for an hour against a decent side you are very likely to lose. 

I personally would have kept Byers on but I doubt it would have changed the outcome. 

The telling thing will be how we bounce back against Bolton on Saturday. I won't say its a must win but we could very much do with the 3 points.

The overreaction to a defeat was certainly expected. 

Keyboard warriors must be knackered, feeding on any opportunity to moan, moan, moan.

1 minute ago, SwellOwl said:

The overreaction to a defeat was certainly expected. 

Keyboard warriors must be knackered, feeding on any opportunity to moan, moan, moan.

Think there was plenty to moan about last night and the previous games have hardly lt the fuse.

• Like 2

You can be critical and still want the man to succeed. 

I have my concerns, but I'm still backing the bloke and hope we can get a positive result on Saturday. 

Just worried we are doing that thing again where we are going to dither for a few months and then be playing catch up. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You can be critical and still want the man to succeed. 

I have my concerns, but I'm still backing the bloke and hope we can get a positive result on Saturday. 

Just worried we are doing that thing again where we are going to dither for a few months and then be playing catch up. 

Yep.

There's a lot to like about Moore's management of the club, and our form during the second half of last season was brilliant.

But the way we've started this season has been a bit concerning: he spoke about having greater tactical flexibility, but thus far when it's been apparent that teams are targeting us with crosses into the box, very little has changed and it's cost us. 

His interview after last night's game concerned me a bit: he seems to be trying to excuse our defensive lapses because they're no longer coming from set plays, as if that somehow makes it better.

I'm still hopeful that he'll get it right, but he needs to sort the glaring issues soon, because there's no way we'll get automatic promotion unless he does.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, debram said:

Think there was plenty to moan about last night and the previous games have hardly lt the fuse.

We are not into our rhythm yet but we're 4 games in so not panicking yet.

Big reaction needed on Saturday, does show the squad needs a few more additions.

Guest Jack the Hat
21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

There's a lot to like about Moore's management of the club, and our form during the second half of last season was brilliant.

But the way we've started this season has been a bit concerning: he spoke about having greater tactical flexibility, but thus far when it's been apparent that teams are targeting us with crosses into the box, very little has changed and it's cost us. 

His interview after last night's game concerned me a bit: he seems to be trying to excuse our defensive lapses because they're no longer coming from set plays, as if that somehow makes it better.

I'm still hopeful that he'll get it right, but he needs to sort the glaring issues soon, because there's no way we'll get automatic promotion unless he does.

Good comments and I agree with all except I’m not hopeful. Hope I’m wrong but I’d be surprised if I am

Guest Jack the Hat
22 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

We are not into our rhythm yet but we're 4 games in so not panicking yet.

Big reaction needed on Saturday, does show the squad needs a few more additions.

We are coming to the end of his 3rd transfer window and we are still short in defence and up top. The defence looks considerably worse than last season. Dc has backed him so I’m fed up if that excuse. We look rudderless.