Things I hate in modern football

Shaking hands when games start. Just run out and growl at each other. No one ever died doing that. Ironic thing is, they shake hands, then spend the next 90 minutes trying to get the other player sent off. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

The media are the worst thing about modern football 

Id be personally happy if they took the prem off to that euro fantasy keague thingy, too the media and click baiting social media users with them, and we can all get back to having a proper game of footy

Division 1, 2, 3 amd 4 with none league below 

all back to normal, it would be bliss 

So true. I still call the divisions 1 2 3 and 4 though. 

The complication of even going to a game. When I was young if Wednesday were too far away, I got on a bus and went somewhere else, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Forest etc. Paid at the turnstile. Later when I was wawy for work, I went to see the local team. Never had to take my birth certificate, passport and a utility bill.

• Like 1

What's the point of putting most of the ball outside the quadrant when taking a corner? Makes no difference.

And the stupid hand signals when every corners the same.

And while I'm at it why can't every professional footballer kick a ball from the corner into the penalty area? They spend their whole life practicing kicking a ball 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

The rise of the expert Athletic journalist. Every time I switch Sky on some jumped up little twerp that couldn’t kick a ball 5 yards is arguing Mbappe can’t play in a front 2. 

W@nkers. 

I subscribe to The Athletic. There’s some good stuff that they seem to break / know before other outlets, but you’re right, some of it is just Uber nerdy: piece today analysing the lowering % of through balls last season 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

On 09/08/2022 at 22:04, markg said:

Vloggers 

Yes! 

It was funny when they first started doing it but now they all want to be a phone carrying vlogger ffs 

and theres not one out there that is remotely knowledgble about the game yetnthey will spit out the buzz words and phrases to sound experts. thogden is the biggest gobshyte out of all of them but has amassed a fortune spouting utter drivel.

and Im orobably going to get some pelters for this but... True Geordie... 

started off ranting about some kid for Newcastle now hes an expert on life and the universe as well as every sport on Earth... 

Bonkers!

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 19:17, PeteG_1984 said:

I’ve just noticed another one that’s only been a thing this summer but is driving me insane:

”who has had the best/worst transfer window?”

I didn’t realise that was a trophy but who actually gives a f ?

We dont know whos had the best window until the season gets going and players are coached at their new clubs 

We took a load of stick for signing Chris Martin because he had scored not many goals for Norwich for example.. yet with us he was our main man, held the ball up (yes he dived I aint denying that 😅) and was the focal point of our attacks in the final 3rd.. we signed Jacob Butterfield who was great for Huddrsfield but utterly sh yte for us. 

the point being one mans trash is another mans treasure 

most of these vlogger and video creators are utterly clueless amd just wanna get clicks 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

The complication of even going to a game. When I was young if Wednesday were too far away, I got on a bus and went somewhere else, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Forest etc. Paid at the turnstile. Later when I was wawy for work, I went to see the local team. Never had to take my birth certificate, passport and a utility bill.

Makign a lot of quotes here I apologise but 

Mansfield is a nice little club and I live 5 minutes away so its an easy get to for me that one 

Defiantly my 2nd club and Cloughie being manager tops it off at the minute 

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I subscribe to The Athletic. There’s some good stuff that they seem to break / know before other outlets, but you’re right, some of it is just Uber nerdy: piece today analysing the lowering % of through balls last season 🤷‍♂️

There's too many pointless statistics. There's 2 that count - the score and the time played. the rest are bo!!ocks

Football has been turned into American Football with all this so-called analysis

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

There's too many pointless statistics. There's 2 that count - the score and the time played. the rest are bo!!ocks

Football has been turned into American Football with all this so-called analysis

I don’t disagree with that. It’s good for information about clubs and their inside going ons though.

7 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Sky have driven this for a long time and in the last few years it has really got traction. 

Your 100% on the score and time matter the rest is utter s**t. 

Talking of sky "Soccer" Saturday the name has always annoyed me. Not that I watch it (or haven't done in years) but again Americanisation of our game.   

9 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

Yes! 

It was funny when they first started doing it but now they all want to be a phone carrying vlogger ffs 

and theres not one out there that is remotely knowledgble about the game yetnthey will spit out the buzz words and phrases to sound experts. thogden is the biggest gobshyte out of all of them but has amassed a fortune spouting utter drivel.

and Im orobably going to get some pelters for this but... True Geordie... 

started off ranting about some kid for Newcastle now hes an expert on life and the universe as well as every sport on Earth... 

Bonkers!

I had it recently confirmed to me that the Thogden kid does my nut in. 

I'd only caught snippets of his stuff before and thought he came across as a bit of a numpty. 

Made the mistake of trying to watch him, Ben Foster and Mark Goldbridge do some sort of PL catch up show. I made it to about the 20 minute mark, and then decided I could stands no more. 

He's meant to be a Bolton fan, but is sat there wearing a Bournemouth away top because he thinks it's a nice kit. Get in the sea, you annoying little sh*t. 

Do agree that the rise of True Geordie neatly encapsulates Youtube stardom. Some of the biggest stars on that platform started out by playing FIFA and recording themselves. 

Problem with the football accounts is the way most of them make views will be through clickbait and taking extreme views. A lot of the time, it's the only way to stay relevant. 

In fact, the whole internet, social media football culture can by and large get in the bin. Far too many terrible takes done to provoke reactions.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 22:04, markg said:

Vloggers 

I don't understand most vloggers. While there are the odd one or two decent vloggers out there, most of them seem to have learnt from the same "how to start a football vlog" handbook.

1) Begin your vlog with really poor quality synthesised autotune 'music'.

2) Pretend you're on a Saturday morning children's TV programme from the '80s by energetically starting with something rhetorical like "WHAT.......is going.........ON...?!!"

3) Film yourself walking along the side of a dual carriageway.

4) Show at least twenty minutes of footage of really crucial moments, like a badly overhit corner or a ball rolling out of play near the dugouts.

5) Make sure you - despite obviously having had the camera recording for almost the entire match - somehow manage to miss anything significant, like penalties, red cards, and unsurprisingly, goals.

6) When a goal is scored, make sure you fill the frame with your own face while you celebrate, because that's what viewers really want to see from a football vlog.

7) Finish off with expert analysis of the all events that you somehow failed to actually record, and then add a bit more horrible autotune music to bookend the abomination of content you've just managed to produce.

BONUS: always conform to an outdated stereotype, like dressing up like you've spent decades working down the mines or something, even though you were born in 2003 and got a PlayStation for your fourth birthday.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1