Things I hate in modern football

xG

Sorry but it's for nerds and hipsters. 

Well, xG itself might be fine. I'm sure it's a legitimate stat to use, perhaps, maybe. I don't really care. What bothers me is people who don't know what the f*ck they're talking about rambling on about xG as a replacement for knowing anything about the sport. Watching the game is fine. Your xG numbers, heat maps and subscription to The Athletic can get in the bin.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The constant tactical nonsense and the words used to describe it.

Vertical compactness, high press, inverted wing backs etc.

11 blokes against another 11 kicking a bag of wind is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, g-owls said:

The constant tactical nonsense and the words used to describe it.

Vertical compactness, high press, inverted wing backs etc.

11 blokes against another 11 kicking a bag of wind is what it is.

You are so right! "Volume in the legs". "3-5-2, alternating without the ball to 4-3-3".  It's not chess or strategic warfare, football is a simple game, why overcomplicate it. The women showed how it should be done, win the ball, attack the opposition and when you lose the ball harass to get it back.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Christ where do we start ....

OTT money that is involved

High cost being charged to fans

New expensive shirts every year

play-acting / diving / gamesmanship

Falling over at the slightest touch/contact - really winds me up - almost like they have a training session on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukFUEI5qz8 - hate it when a player backs in to someone then flops over - when someone feels contact on the top half of the body and their legs mysteriously turn to jelly - when players clutch their face when theirs contact on their chest - when players feign injury or how much they are hurt at the minimalist of contact - when players roll around - (Neymar everytime and in the most recent friendly, Dan Jones at Chesterfield, Adryan at Leeds etc, Dida v Celtic, That player who's a gif meme that gets his ear flicked and every other scammer, cheater and fraud thats committed similar acts) 

Lack of respect for each other

Celebrating wildly scoring a penalty that was incorrectly awarded - absolute joke - instead of shooting it wide or something)

SKY ******** sky .. and rearranging fixtures all time for tv and ******** up travel arrangements 

Corruption within FIFA and UEFA

Absolutely pitiful sanctions for racist behaviour or for flouting the rules instead of points deductions and proper sanctions 

Jimmy Bullard on soccer am - cheeky cockney? no absolute cnvt ...

Every team now playing out from the back and keepers having to be able to play football instead of just banging the ball up top 

Be more stuff no doubt ... 

• Like 1

The all or nothing culture that exists now.

For example, teams lose one game and it's crisis time and win one and they're going to win the league.

Football Twitter/Click Bait or just plain odd titles on articles. For example Haaland V Nunez from the weekend. Like there aren't 20 other players on the pitch.

Similar theme, but the obsession with pundits having to have an opinion on EVERYTHING rather than just saying, "You know what, I don't know".

9 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

The women showed how it should be done, win the ball, attack the opposition and when you lose the ball harass to get it back.

If you lose the ball, you try to get it back

And when you get the ball, try to mount an attack

And most of all make it look like you’re trying

And if the crowd say you’re not - say they’re lying

- S McClaren & Casper

Managers who moan about fixture congestion despite having 30 odd players to pick from plus the best academy players in the country . If you don’t like competing for trophies get knocked out early like we do . Fixture congestion generally means your being successful if Klopp or Pep or whoever don’t have a lot of games come the end of the season I suspect they’ll be looking probably for a new job. 

• Like 1

The change to offside where the linesman waits for an eternity to put the flag up. At the game I went to tonight we all knew the bloke was offside, he plays on  and gets injured challenging the keeper. The linesman then slowly raises the flag. I would love to know why they have been told to do it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Managers who moan about fixture congestion despite having 30 odd players to pick from plus the best academy players in the country . If you don’t like competing for trophies get knocked out early like we do . Fixture congestion generally means your being successful if Klopp or Pep or whoever don’t have a lot of games come the end of the season I suspect they’ll be looking probably for a new job. 

To add to this as well, you had Klopp moaning last week about when the Community Shield was being held.

When in his world does he want it to be f*cking played?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

To add to this as well, you had Klopp moaning last week about when the Community Shield was being held.

When in his world does he want it to be f*cking played?

Winds me  up no end. Talking about player safety then happy to fly half way around the world to play a meaningless cash grabbing friendly.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BridportOwl said:

Winds me  up no end. Talking about player safety then happy to fly half way around the world to play a meaningless cash grabbing friendly.

Yep.

100% agree.

That's another one actually in general, teams from same division playing friendly games against each other.

• Like 1

After reading through all 3 pages so far, there is far more I hate than I realised. I'm not adverse to change or progress - quite the opposite in fact - but some of the things in today's game really do annoy me.

But one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is bands. We don't want to hear you banging a drum for 90 you annoying w@nka. Or your stupid out-of-tune trumpet playing. Go and annoy another sport, like F1 or International Croquet. And take Sky Sports with you. And their money. And goal celebration music. And Gary Lineker. And Rick Parry!

Half and half scarves - get the f*ck out of here you poncey 2 hat. You don't support either team do you, but want to be on the winning side regardless so you don't suffer from PTSD when you lose.