Things I hate in modern football

9 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Forestieri v Forest classic celebration

Not talking about Foresteri in particular but goal celebrations seem to go on for a lot longer in modern football.

Used to last about 10 seconds and everyone ran back so game could restart.

Now they regularly go on for 2-3 minutes and the whole team sometimes including subs seems to get involved.

All too over indulgent for me.

• Like 2

The awful shithouse timewasting tactics which seem to be employed by the majority of L1 teams who come to Hillsborough. There's game management and you naturally expect some timewasting towards the end of a game when teams are winning, but teams seem to do it for the full game in this league and usually it's taken to the extreme, blatant cheating, falling over pretending to be injured, keepers making simple catches and then having a lay down for 30 seconds etc. Teams like Wycombe and Gillingham seem to employ it as their main tactic, even a big club like Portsmouth were at it on Saturday, Wycombe were even doing it when they played at home, but the weak gutless refs just do nothing and let them get away with it every time. 

If they don't actually want to play football and try to keep the ball out of play for as long as humanly possible, what's the point of them even having a football team? If we played like that I'd honestly be embarrassed. 

That said I absolutely love it when they come unstuck and we score a winner or equaliser in the time added on for their shithousing! 

Edited by alanharper
  • Like 1

Anyone who's ever said "he has a right to go down there" can get in the sea.  Conversely referees that won't award a penalty if a player attempts to carry on after being fouled are as much to blame.  If they're fouled, they're fouled, it doesn't matter if they went down or not...

• Like 3

Rehearsed goal celebrating celebrations.

Goal music.

Half and half scarves.

Parachute payments.

Fixtures all over the place, which links to too much football on the TV.

Changing kits every season.

European Cup (or champions league) being open to more than just the Champions of each country.

All just off the top of my head. I’m sure I could think of some more given a bit of time.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Rehearsed goal celebrating celebrations.

Goal music.

Half and half scarves.

Parachute payments.

Fixtures all over the place, which links to too much football on the TV.

Changing kits every season.

European Cup (or champions league) being open to more than just the Champions of each country.

All just off the top of my head. I’m sure I could think of some more given a bit of time.

Football Agents.

• Like 3

Most of the above, plus:

the Qatar World Cup

the following 46 team World Cup

the forthcoming new champions league format (current one is bad enough)

false narratives celebrating ‘fairytale’ success stories that are really just traditionally smaller clubs being bankrolled 

Premier League academies in the pizza cup

the pizza cup

the demise of the other domestic cup competitions 

• Like 3