Things I hate in modern football

The good vloggers are the lads who support the lower league teams, like the lad who does Fleetwood videos etc. 

I know that Thodknob supports Bolton, but he also seems to support every other team. 

12 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

What psses me off is wages 

Some on 200k a week. Doctors who save lives for people should be on more money than they are......Don't give me this bullcrap its a short career for them..footballers are paid obscene money 

What's realistically your proposal to cut their wages?  Across the market as a whole, wages are driven by revenues; so it would seem if you want lower wages you want either a greater share of revenue to accrue to owners and non-paying employees, or you want to restrict the ability of clubs to grow revenues. 

My preference is clearly for the latter, but that's more of a matter of my saying that the commercial success of football makes me like it less. Footballers doing well out of commercial growth is one of the aspects I mind least, overall.

19 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I subscribe to The Athletic. There’s some good stuff that they seem to break / know before other outlets, but you’re right, some of it is just Uber nerdy: piece today analysing the lowering % of through balls last season 🤷‍♂️

I don't know what I hate more. That they did an article on that, or the hatred I have for myself knowing that I'd quite enjoy reading that

• Haha 1

On 11/08/2022 at 13:43, SiJ said:

Jurgen Klopp. 

Great manager, but a full weight knobber. 

Seems to happen with all the managers that go there eventually. Houllier, Benitez and now Klopp. Always catch the 'never my fault' mentality.

• Like 3

Just now, andym1 said:

Seems to happen with all the managers that go there eventually. Houllier, Benitez and now Klopp. Always catch the 'never my fault' mentality.

I'm not including Evans, Thompson and Dalglish 'cos it was already bred into 'em.

They do really but into the whole "It means more" nonsense. 

The mainstream media play a huge part in this. 

No other club in this country gets more favourable coverage than Liverpool, not even close. It's only amplified by the rise of social media. 

This current Liverpool side are a top, top team, no disputing that, but the way some of their players are lauded as the best of all time in their position (I'm looking at you Virgil Van Dijk) just does my nut in. I swear if he had signed for Chelsea, City etc., he wouldn't be spoke about in quite such gushing terms. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 3

Agree with all the points on here, really fallen out of love with the game compared to when I started following it in the late 80's/90's.

Maybe some of that is getting older and life just generally taking over but the things that really get on my boobies is time wasting and feigning injury. The commentators will then defend it calling it 'game management'. fizz right off with that, just call it what it is. Cheating. 

• Like 1

The worst bit about modern football is how corporate it is. 

The top clubs are really now just sporting franchises. They're more concerned with the fans abroad, the ones on social media than they are those who go week in and week out. 

The game often feels quite sanitised, lacking any real soul to it. 

The competitive element has been largely removed, insofar pretty much everyone outside of the top 6 is effectively a supporting cast member and making up the numbers. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They do really but into the whole "It means more" nonsense. 

The mainstream media play a huge part in this. 

No other club in this country gets more favourable coverage than Liverpool, not even close. It's only amplified by the rise of social media. 

This current Liverpool side are a top, top team, no disputing that, but the way some of their players are lauded as the best of all time in their position (I'm looking at you Virgil Van Dijk) just does my nut in. I swear if he had signed for Chelsea, City etc., he wouldn't be spoke about in quite such gushing terms. 

Agree with all this.

Like the other year when people were saying they're the greatest Premier League champions, completely ignoring the fact they didn't retain it.

Also when the broadcasters specifically stop so You'll Never Walk Alone can be observed, no other club gets that.

Also the complete over rating of some of the more average players, the likes of Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott being talked up more than say a Foden when they've done nothing at that level.

23 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

There's too many pointless statistics. There's 2 that count - the score and the time played. the rest are bo!!ocks

Football has been turned into American Football with all this so-called analysis

Some of our fans with the “how did we lose that” after Charlton last week... simple amswer

they scored and we didnt :duntmatter:

Another one doing my nut in is “we’ll fight to the end”... its the least I expect from the team ffs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

The good vloggers are the lads who support the lower league teams, like the lad who does Fleetwood videos etc. 

I know that Thodknob supports Bolton, but he also seems to support every other team. 

We’ve got a couple of lads who vlog and I dont mind them if thats what they wanna do fair play, at least theyve stuck with the club and they dont get many views, it does seem to be for the love of the club and doing it for their own amusement 

whereas as you say vloggers like Thogden literally follow all the big clubs just for the clicks 

And to top it all off he’s got some “beef” with the lass Stunt Pegg ffs... ******** football vlogging “beef”?

Modern game dislikes?

Football was meaningless before the Premier League

Hype - games being the most important in their history, ignoring other division wins/relegation battles/cup wins  etc.

changing the shirt every year

cheating - diving/claiming corners and throw ins/holding an imaginary card/fake injuries    unless there is blood or the shin bone is poking through then play on

corruption in Fifa/Uefa

media trained players saying absolutely nothing interesting

handshake before a match

the refusal to punish clubs properly for misdemeanors 

robbie savage having his mum on everything

robbie savage

a match stopping for player cramp, a head injury yes, cramp no

the champions league format

i'd best stop, i could be here a while.....

• Like 4

The obscene wages. 

I understand its economically driven,  but I think a cap of say £80,000 a week maximum is more then reasonable. 

The excess revenue can be passed on to consumer and ideally grass roots to build better facilities in local communities and have tickets capped across the board. 

• Like 1