Things I hate in modern football

On 06/08/2022 at 23:35, TomtheOwl95 said:

Agree.

It was always there in the background but since Klopp went in it went into overdrive.

The constant needs for EVERYTHING to be about them within the fanbase winds me up as well.

Had it last night with Sarrs goal. Somehow twisted to how Alonso scored a better one. Nobody cares your a national embarrassment. 

• Like 3

On 06/08/2022 at 23:02, Southie_Owl said:

Liverpool are what annoy me most about modern football. 

The first FOUR news stories on the sky sport app right now are about Liverpool.  FOUR.   As I said in a thread about the lionesses coverage - theirs is deserved.  The media love-in for Liverpool annoys me 

Don’t forget though, they were going for FOUR trophies last season… & won only the 2 least important ones.
They’re also going for FOUR again & will no doubt fail again, but it will dominate the sports media. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I think the point is that, now we have VAR to look back at the passage of play, if the flag goes up incorrectly it'll stop the play and potentially prevent a legitimate goal. By allowing the attack to develop even if the assistant thinks it's offside, they won't be adversely affecting the passage of play. And you can't really blame the linesman for an injury occurring - the players have to be responsible for their own actions/movements on the pitch. In the moments of an attack the players often don't look for the flag first, and they don't always hear the whistle either.

In any case, they've actually altered the guidance to officials for this season, with the now flag only being delayed if the call is very tight or if there's an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

No VAR in the Cymru North. 

Sky and Liverpool again.

Ok so this time it's a coincidence:

Just switched the TV on right now and it's Liverpool V Newcastle 4-3 from the 90's incidentally the same thing that was on when I went to bed last night.

I was greeted within 3 seconds to:

"Brilliant Liverpool goal"

Channel changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Potts said:

Some Jeb End from FIFA deciding to change how teams kick off. What was the point of that?

It's better now. What was the point of a rule where the ball had to go forward, when 99% of the time it would just be tapped forward and passed backwards anyway? Now teams can get the ball where they want without having to have two players at the centre spot in order to do it.

• Like 1

“Expanding the global brand” and the resulting fans across the globe calling each other mancs and scousers on Twitter despite never having been anywhere near NW England.

Social media teams that just tweet about how they “go again on Tuesday”. This is why I love Josh Windass (who doesn’t do this) happy to get into a full debate with fans, so refreshing. 

The sheer hypocrisy of it all. The World Cup in Qatar, bent as hell money making its way throughout our game, etc.

Bang average players earning millions. I have no problem with the very best earning their share of this huge industry. But to see mediocre Championship players earning more than what a CEO of a FTSE 100 earns represents how fizzed up the inflation has got.

• Like 1

"GOAT" everyone who is at the top of any sport now is the GOAT. 

No matter what the sport. Football, MotoGP, F1, rugby... they are incomparable to the past. They can be the best of a generation (even that is highly debatable with different positions and leagues) but you can not compare them to players of the past like Puskas and Cruyff who would have lumps kicked out of them on mud bath pitches and having smokes 20 fags that morning still changed the game with skill and ability.

• Like 4

The media are the worst thing about modern football 

Id be personally happy if they took the prem off to that euro fantasy keague thingy, too the media and click baiting social media users with them, and we can all get back to having a proper game of footy

Division 1, 2, 3 amd 4 with none league below 

all back to normal, it would be bliss 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Sky and Liverpool again.

Ok so this time it's a coincidence:

Just switched the TV on right now and it's Liverpool V Newcastle 4-3 from the 90's incidentally the same thing that was on when I went to bed last night.

I was greeted within 3 seconds to:

"Brilliant Liverpool goal"

Channel changed.

Fk liverscum. Its never them

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

"GOAT" everyone who is at the top of any sport now is the GOAT. 

No matter what the sport. Football, MotoGP, F1, rugby... they are incomparable to the past. They can be the best of a generation (even that is highly debatable with different positions and leagues) but you can not compare them to players of the past like Puskas and Cruyff who would have lumps kicked out of them on mud bath pitches and having smokes 20 fags that morning still changed the game with skill and ability.

Also when people say more than one person are GOAT's.

Completely negating the point of the statement in the first place.

Just now, vulva said:

Thing is, he never used to be. He’s spent that long in Liverpool, he’s actually turned into one of them. 

You might be right.

Just complains about everything. 

If you'd asked me several years ago who I preferred out of him and Pep, I'd probably say Klopp. But in the last few years Jurgen has become such a whiny ballbag and he seems to think the entire footballing world should revolve around him and Liverpool. 

You then throw in what is a largely lapdog media. 

• Like 1