Lee Gregory

Guest Musttryharder
11 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

I don’t have an issue with his age I have an issue with offering him a longer contract at this stage or “building the entire team around him”.

However, nothing in football is binary. If he was so outstanding that he was the best goalscorer in the division and thereby single-handedly giving you a right shot at automatic promotion, I’d get the argument to make sure that the team was set up this season to play almost exclusively to his strengths.

He’s not.

He’s a good player, one of the better forwards in the division, but as ever much of our fan base has talked him up to a level beyond reality.

I dont think I implied giving him a longer contract. I dont think I implied  either to build the team around him. I dont think he is a good player in this league, I think he is an excellent player in this league. Whilst he can be in the top 8 leading goal scorers then like I said its a no brainer. I also didnt say not to bring anyone else in. If by saying he is an excellent player in this league and a consistant goal scorer then yes, I am talking him up. He as showed his worth at SWFC. 

I think the thing about Gregory maybe because he came into the professional game later and has probably never been a massive wage earner he still looks like he has the hunger to succeed.

His performances and the workload he put in after he came back from injury were very impressive.

I hope he is here next season, playing alongside a Smith type striker to share some of the workload I think he would do really well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He’s a good League One striker that’s not quite cut it in The Championship.

Lets not overplay it in our typical fashion.

He has a year left on his contract and he’s 34 at the start of this season. No need to offer him a longer contract.

The harsh reality is that at the start of the season after he’ll be 35. If he decides to leave he’d be very easily replaced regardless of our division.

We’ll replace him with a 36 year old .

Give him another year as a bit of a just in case. 

How many times do you hear about us, and other teams, that they have a player lined up, definite signing then another club steps in at the last minute and signs them. If he did go who are our recognised strikers? Windass and Paterson?

2 hours ago, nile said:

jayden stockley

is he available?? How much will he cost?? 

also Gregory scored more league goals in less appearances…not saying Gregory is better or vice versa but looking at stats I would say an “easy replacement” isn’t that easy to get to be honest. 

Does he have any ‘options’ on his contract? Either for us or for him? Would that be an acceptable middle ground? Slightly better terms with an option to extend? 

Either way, don’t want to lose him this summer certainly

On 03/06/2022 at 10:09, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He’s a good League One striker that’s not quite cut it in The Championship.

Lets not overplay it in our typical fashion.

He has a year left on his contract and he’s 34 at the start of this season. No need to offer him a longer contract.

The harsh reality is that at the start of the season after he’ll be 35. If he decides to leave he’d be very easily replaced regardless of our division.

Doubt very much that 15 goals + strikers are easy to replace at any level. Would think adding a further year deal would suit both parties. Has got that extra bit of class at league 1 level and hopefully would be a decent backup for a last year in the championship. 

3 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

You’d hope that if we really wanted them we could attract Cheltenham and Morecambe players.

As it is, it looks like we have money to spend which gives us even more options.

Lots of position's need strengthening, centre half, defensive centre mid , goalkeeper, as well as forward line. So can not blow our budget on one forward. Not saying that's what you are implying but the budget will have to be shared across various roles.

13 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Lots of position's need strengthening, centre half, defensive centre mid , goalkeeper, as well as forward line. So can not blow our budget on one forward. Not saying that's what you are implying but the budget will have to be shared across various roles.

There is no budget according to Chansiri

lol

21 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

There is no budget according to Chansiri

lol

There been no budget for 7 years that why we have lost the best part of £250 million to go backwards.

we should know at the start of every season, what the player budget is, how many tickets, shirts, merchandise needs to be sold to break even or hit a certain figure. We should know what offers players we can accept or try and get more.

but i suspect very little of this happens under DC as with £20m losses season in season out.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

People like me! 
look let’s get better.

Who are we getting Luke and you better list some names or just foook off with your miserable sh!te 

post your list of realistic replacement pal ! 

Stop going personal because you disagree 

Talk to people who care about that your saying 

Guest DoesJackHunt
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Stop going personal because you disagree 

Talk to people who care about that your saying 

So no list Luke, nice one