Lee Gregory

2 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

But why would you do it now?

It makes no sense.

He is getting older and could visibly go into decline or more likely he could start picking up more injuries. Then you are stuck with a year you regret.

In contrast, he’s just as good as this year. In this scenario, we either get promoted or we don’t. If we go up and still want him we’ll unlikely to be facing loads of competition from other Championship clubs and we’ll almost certainly keep him.

Or we don’t go up, we may get competition from other League One clubs but he’s settled at the biggest club in the division, in the city he and his family are from. Still very unlikely to lose him.

There are possible negatives to giving him a longer contract now but I can’t really see any major positives.

Because the player would be settled, speculation would stop and other teams would look elsewhere. And he deserves it. And it won’t cost us a fortune. 

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

I don’t have an issue with his age I have an issue with offering him a longer contract at this stage or “building the entire team around him”.

However, nothing in football is binary. If he was so outstanding that he was the best goalscorer in the division and thereby single-handedly giving you a right shot at automatic promotion, I’d get the argument to make sure that the team was set up this season to play almost exclusively to his strengths.

He’s not.

He’s a good player, one of the better forwards in the division, but as ever much of our fan base has talked him up to a level beyond reality.

Look unless we are bringing someone in who’s better and you know we are, then we hang on to Gregory for now and try and find younger players who can cut it. 
No ones suggesting Lee Gregory will fire us to the premier league but he could help us to the championship based on his performances last season.He’s proven and we know he’s good for 10 to 15 goals. That’s a good starting point. 

We should keep the players who have done well at this level while we bring in younger players with potential.

I amazed this is even a debate. Gregory is our best striker and he should be staying until we have better, it’s that simple. 

let’s just move on and all agree that we want Lee Gregory next season.

There are bigger things to discuss like our lack of CB’s, a need for a first team keeper and some younger lads up top to help Gregory next season

Just now, vulva said:

Because the player would be settled, speculation would stop and other teams would look elsewhere. And he deserves it. And it won’t cost us a fortune. 

No League One teams are going to offer Wednesday money for a 34 yr old.

No Championship clubs wanted him a year younger on a free. Likewise, they’re not offering us money.

Its all absolute rubbish.

No club is going to offer Wednesday money for Gregory.

Just now, DoesJackHunt said:

Look unless we are bringing someone in who’s better and you know we are, then we hang on to Gregory for now and try and find younger players who can cut it. 
No ones suggesting Lee Gregory will fire us to the premier league but he could help us to the championship based on his performances last season.He’s proven and we know he’s good for 10 to 15 goals. That’s a good starting point. 

We should keep the players who have done well at this level while we bring in younger players with potential.

I amazed this is even a debate. Gregory is our best striker and he should be staying until we have better, it’s that simple. 

let’s just move on and all agree that we want Lee Gregory next season.

There are bigger things to discuss like our lack of CB’s, a need for a first team keeper and some younger lads up top to help Gregory next season

Have you read anything I’ve said?

When have I ever said we should get rid of him?

I’ve said he’s a good striker for this division.

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

No Championship clubs wanted him a year younger on a free. Likewise, they’re not offering us money.

Good, they can’t have him ! 

Just now, torryowl said:

his age dont matter all that matters is he worth his place in the squad  and  at this moment he most certainly is .....

His age doesn’t matter for a place in the squad.

It does matter for offering him another contract.

That is what I’m saying.

2 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Never said they would. It’s not about our transfer fee it’s about the lads mindset. He’s 34 and settled in the City. He was traveling to Stoke from Sheffield every other day so I suspect he’d love to stop here. But he’s 34 and ifsomeone is offering a 2 or 3 year deal his head will be turned. I think he’s a great asset at this level, and probably top class in the group. I’d offer him an extra year. 

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Never said they would. It’s not about our transfer fee it’s about the lads mindset. He’s 34 and settled in the City. He was traveling to Stoke from Sheffield every other day so I suspect he’d love to stop here. But he’s 34 and ifsomeone is offering a 2 or 3 year deal his head will be turned. I think he’s a great asset at this level, and probably top class in the group. I’d offer him an extra year. 

Nobody will offer him a two or three year deal 🤦‍♂️

Because to do so they’d have to pay Wednesday a transfer fee for a 34 year old AND then offer a 34 year old a two or three year deal.

Which 34 year olds in all English leagues have been offered a two or three year deal in the last few years? Ronaldo - anybody else?

Even the likes of Billy Sharp and James Milner have had to settle for one year extensions.

Its just beyond madness and I’ll be amazed if Wednesday do it.

1 minute ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Nobody will offer him a two or three year deal 🤦‍♂️

Because to do so they’d have to pay Wednesday a transfer fee for a 34 year old AND then offer a 34 year old a two or three year deal.

Which 34 year olds in all English leagues have been offered a two or three year deal in the last few years? Ronaldo - anybody else?

Even the likes of Billy Sharp and James Milner have had to settle for one year extensions.

Its just beyond madness and I’ll be amazed if Wednesday do it.

2 years is not much. 1 year on top of his existing deal here. Fee is almost irrelevant as the lad might down tools if someone Iike Boro offer to triple his wages. 

Key word is compromise Gregory probably doesn’t want to leave but can probably earn more elsewhere. Extra year, performance related. Suits us, and him. Commonsense, and better value than throwing money at an unknown like John Jules who conks out after 9 minutes when he breaks his sweat. 

Just now, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

His age doesn’t matter for a place in the squad.

It does matter for offering him another contract.

That is what I’m saying.

if he's playing well enough to earn a new contract(i think he is ) then why not , whats age got to do with it ?.......

Shef U keep renewing Bill Sharp's contract and he's two or three years older than Gregory. 

As long as Gregory is fit, scoring goals, then no reason not to offer him new contracts. 

Yes, you need to be bringing in younger strikers for him to play with and ultimately succeed him but still. 

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
18 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Have you read anything I’ve said?

When have I ever said we should get rid of him?

I’ve said he’s a good striker for this division.

No I haven’t, to be fair. 
Your gist seemed anti- Gregory 

So I got really angry and Carved his name into my chest with a rusty nail. 
maybe I should have read back before I did that.

also I’ve misspelled Gregory so now I’ve be got to walk round with Gegory written across the top of my nipples 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if he's playing well enough to earn a new contract(i think he is ) then why not , whats age got to do with it ?.......

Because he has a year left!

If we think he’s worth another contract in 6-12 months, do it then.

Why does every other club not give 34 year olds two year contracts? Because it makes no sense!

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

2 years is not much. 1 year on top of his existing deal here. Fee is almost irrelevant as the lad might down tools if someone Iike Boro offer to triple his wages. 

Key word is compromise Gregory probably doesn’t want to leave but can probably earn more elsewhere. Extra year, performance related. Suits us, and him. Commonsense, and better value than throwing money at an unknown like John Jules who conks out after 9 minutes when he breaks his sweat. 

That’s like saying Bannan might down tools if Man City offer to treble his wages.

It won’t happen.

Nobody will give us a transfer fee for Gregory. They can’t have him unless they do.

That’s like saying Bannan might down tools if Man City offer to treble his wages.

It won’t happen.

Nobody will give us a transfer fee for Gregory. They can’t have him unless they do.

Bannan probably would. Most players would. 

We probably won’t get a fee, of any significance. But Gregory would just tread water until January, and force a move. Most players would. At 34 he wants to maximize his income  

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Bannan probably would. Most players would. 

We probably won’t get a fee, of any significance. But Gregory would just tread water until January, and force a move. Most players would. At 34 he wants to maximize his income  

And if he did we would easily replace him.

But the very reason that we could easily replace him and that he is 34 and no clubs in English football offer 34 year olds two year contracts - is why it’s just nonsensical rubbish.

Because he has a year left!

If we think he’s worth another contract in 6-12 months, do it then.

Why does every other club not give 34 year olds two year contracts? Because it makes no sense!

every other club .....you sure about that ?