Lee Gregory

3 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Best striker we could hope for in our system.

Absolute no brainer to keep him here if we can.

Again, nobody is saying we shouldn’t keep him.

I give in, discussing logical business strategy on Owlstalk is like discussing Covid treatment with Donald Trump.

Edited by JemmoJemoJemmo
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 83owl said:

No guarantee of that whatsoever. Some partnerships work, some don’t. Windass is hardly the most selfless of players and quite often plays with his head down.

1 year deal for me. Pretty standard at this level and age.

That’s why I said he would provide assists for Windass -  Gregory gets a goal every 2 games according to BBC stats so that makes him a 20 plus goal a season striker if fit but obviously he won’t play every game but still think he’s definitely worth the risk and if Windass plays we won’t have to just rely on him. He also holds the ball up well and brings the rest of the team into the game a bit like Hooper and McLean did. He also scores goals at important times. No brainier for me. 

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

And if he did we would easily replace him.

But the very reason that we could easily replace him and that he is 34 and no clubs in English football offer 34 year olds two year contracts - is why it’s just nonsensical rubbish.

With who ? 

Like to see them both back for next Season, those 2 up front, with Bannan right behind them.  Windass really doesn't have a perpetual injury record, he caught a bad one last Season, but Players  can, and do, recover from such injuries.  

Guest DoesJackHunt
20 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

That’s why I said he would provide assists for Windass -  Gregory gets a goal every 2 games according to BBC stats so that makes him a 20 plus goal a season striker if fit but obviously he won’t play every game but still think he’s definitely worth the risk and if Windass plays we won’t have to just rely on him. He also holds the ball up well and brings the rest of the team into the game a bit like Hooper and McLean did. He also scores goals at important times. No brainier for me. 

Exactly this mate, I don’t mind replacing him with a younger guy who’s proven to do the same. However, I would like us to get a younger guy with similar attributes (a bit more pace) and get Gregory to show them the desire and commitment it takes to make that talent work for them at this level. We need to keep Lee and add to it in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

16 goals in 36 league games is hardly scoring goals for fun 

Yes it is. More than favourable return.

Thanks for your inane contribution to a genuine discussion. 

Exit's that way. 

10 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

It’s not needed though is it?

We have him for this season, if we still want him at the end of the season we can offer him another contract then. He’s unlikely to get a better offer than us.

Nobody in The Champiinship will be rushing in for him and if we are still in League One we are more attractive than all the rest.

As mentioned in a later reply. 

Maybe it is. Can we afford to have Lee Gregory's agent touting him about in Jan for the summer when we have a promotion to achieve?

When the worst case scenario is we have a decent striker to bring off the bench in the Championship?

100% agree Gregory is short term - but promotion next season is not a given. 

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Again, nobody is saying we shouldn’t keep him.

I give in, discussing logical business strategy on Owlstalk is like discussing Covid treatment with Donald Trump.

You’re not being logical though mate, your argument is solid if you are listing realistic replacements. You are not though and that’s the issue for me personally. 

Let just give him a contract and get some guys we can get to learn of him. If it turns out they can do better and Gregory’s on the bench for the second season who cares? , he’s not really about pace so he will still provide an extra goal scoring threat from the bench in games where we need a goal. It’s an absolute no brainer. Sometimes a player just fits and Lee Gregory fits mate. 

44 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Yes it is. More than favourable return.

Thanks for your inane contribution to a genuine discussion. 

Exit's that way. 

It’s not even 1 in 2. That’s not insane, and it’s bloody league 1. Thanks for coming 

Edited by FreshOwl

31 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

You’re not being logical though mate, your argument is solid if you are listing realistic replacements. You are not though and that’s the issue for me personally. 

Let just give him a contract and get some guys we can get to learn of him. If it turns out they can do better and Gregory’s on the bench for the second season who cares? , he’s not really about pace so he will still provide an extra goal scoring threat from the bench in games where we need a goal. It’s an absolute no brainer. Sometimes a player just fits and Lee Gregory fits mate. 

There are three players that scored more than him in League One last season that are all out of contract as we speak. (Stockton, May, Smith)

Its the same every year.

Guest DoesJackHunt
28 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

There are three players that scored more than him in League One last season that are all out of contract as we speak. (Stockton, May, Smith)

Its the same every year.

Are we going to be able to get them ? 

20 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He’s a good League One striker that’s not quite cut it in The Championship.

Lets not overplay it in our typical fashion.

He has a year left on his contract and he’s 34 at the start of this season. No need to offer him a longer contract.

The harsh reality is that at the start of the season after he’ll be 35. If he decides to leave he’d be very easily replaced regardless of our division.

who is this replacement who is east to get and replaced him?? 

every club outside the top 6 want a proven goal scorer!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Its the same every year.

Of those three, only May scored at a better rate than Gregory.

Only Smith matched him for assists, and that's with Gregory having played significant fewer minutes than the others due to his injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Of those three, only May scored at a better rate than Gregory.

Only Smith matched him for assists, and that's with Gregory having played significant fewer minutes than the others due to his injury.

One played for Cheltenham and one played for Morecambe!