Pizza Cup selection rules

Papa John’s pizza isn’t even very good. 

If it was the Dominos cup I’d feel differently I guess. 

I love a Domino’s Texas BBQ. That’s a pizza I’d put a decent lineup out for! Papa John’s just gets Wildsmith in goal and as many kids as we can get away with!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tcuc3e said:

I think we all agree it's demeaning that we're in a competition against Newcastle's U23s. 

I'd be happy to only play our reserves for as long as we're in it, but there are rules which stop us doing that. 

The depth of our squad means we probably won't have too many issues but here's the rules on the four 'qualifying' players we must include the team:

EFL clubs must have at least four 'qualifying' outfield players in their line-ups, with such a player meeting these requirements:

Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture

Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season

Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career

Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club

A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

If it’s so demeaning and beneath us then we should win it easily shouldn’t we. And who doesn’t like a day out at Wembley. 

Completely wrong attitude mate. We are where we are for a reason. We’re a third division club for a reason. 

We should approach this as an opportunity to win some silverware and put the icing on the cake of what will hopefully be a promotion season. 

No room for a big time Charlie attitude from the club, players or fans.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

Papa John’s pizza isn’t even very good. 

If it was the Dominos cup I’d feel differently I guess. 

I love a Domino’s Texas BBQ. That’s a pizza I’d put a decent lineup out for! Papa John’s just gets Wildsmith in goal and as many kids as we can get away with!

Agreed,  true story: my first “date” with my partner we picked up a papa John’s pizza and took it back to her place (where I was a perfect gentleman). We both felt unwell after dinner and believed it was the pizza.  Therefore, this cup makes me feel sick.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agreed,  true story: my first “date” with my partner we picked up a papa John’s pizza and took it back to her place (where I was a perfect gentleman). We both felt unwell after dinner and believed it was the pizza.  Therefore, this cup makes me feel sick.  

Meat Lovers? 😂

Edited by Morepork

12 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Pathetic competition. Something we could really do without 

Say that to all those smaller lower league clubs who it gives a chance to actually win something, have a day out at Wembley and so forth. 

In recent times, it has been won by the likes of Coventry, Southampton and Sunderland. Wonder if they consider it to be "pathetic"? 

Yes, it isn't our main priority and I loathe the fact we have to play Newcastle Under 23s, but let's try and not be quite so arrogant, eh? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

How embarrassing to win this cup tho. Could you imagine the stick we'd give dem Blavdes if they won it. Honours board and all that.

Coventry, Southampton, Sunderland...

• Thanks 1

I'm not for one minute advocating that we go full steam ahead into trying to win the Pappa John's trophy.  Clearly, our priority is to push for promotion. 

My point is that knocking the competition and dismissing it is a bit embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

Wouldn’t mind this if the prem under 21’s couldn’t enter, that’s what makes it a joke and takes the edge off a cup competition for the smaller clubs (and yes at the moment that includes us)

It was a joke even before the PL clubs joined, with them trying to enforce team selection criteria.