Pizza Cup selection rules

6 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

Wouldn’t mind this if the prem under 21’s couldn’t enter, that’s what makes it a joke and takes the edge off a cup competition for the smaller clubs (and yes at the moment that includes us)

That's the bit I hate. 

Look, it is clearly a competition there for the lower league sides to make some money, have a day at Wembley and win a trophy. 

The idiot who figured chucking in Under 23 teams should be shot out of a cannon. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That's the bit I hate. 

Look, it is clearly a competition there for the lower league sides to make some money, have a day at Wembley and win a trophy. 

The idiot who figured chucking in Under 23 teams should be shot out of a cannon. 

100% agree preferably straight into a brick wall

We have so many players that need game time and a fair few of our U23’s that we thought would get a chance this season. 

This will serve as a great chance to get them involved and ready if called upon for league starts. I can’t wait to see some of these in action. 

Guest LondonOwl313
10 hours ago, Big Malc said:

Is it compulsory for clubs to enter this competition?

Would assume so.. it’s 16 groups of 4, 48 league clubs and 16 academies.

I don’t see a problem with it.. it’s disrespectful to pull out. We’re in league 1 and it’s part of being in this league.

Those selection rules look so vague.. we must have 20 players who’ve played 40 games in their career so can pretty much pick what team we want.

We’re probably the strongest side in the competition so why not go out and win it as long as we’re prioritising the league.

44 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

How embarrassing to win this cup tho. Could you imagine the stick we'd give dem Blavdes if they won it. Honours board and all that.

Who cares what they think? Obviously this isn’t the priority, but if we makes some progress in it we might as well give it a shot. 

My only objection is the Premier League under 21s being in it.

For some clubs this competition represents the best chance of silverware and a Wembley day out, so I get why it’s important in some respects.  However, our priorities whenever we are in this division is:

1.  Promotion

10.  FA Cup run

11.  League Cup run

486.  Half time music

487.  Papa John’s Trophy

The fact that they have to dictate to clubs what team to put out demeans it as a competition before it’s even started.  Let the clubs who want to take it seriously do so, and let the clubs who want to use it as a reserve game do so - there two genuinely prestigious cup competitions that take priority.  The risk of losing key players to injury and suspension has to be balanced against improving fitness.

I’d rather we didn’t enter, but if we do then every team should be allowed to put out the side of their choosing.

• Like 2

What a ridiculous set of rules.

YOU have to play at least 4 established players but your opponent can play their U23s.

Luckily, with two centre halfs and two centre mids who won't start the previous game, we've already got the qualifying players we need. Gibson is a prem loan and add either Hutchinson or Dunkley. Add two of Byers, Luongo and Wing, whichever don't start the previous weekend and we are already sorted. Then bring in the younger lads and fringe players.

Do we have a credible full back pair in the younger ranks? I know we've got a left back but what we got at right back?

I want us to go and try and get to Wembley and win this thing. For those who are poo-pooing this trophy, if we get to the final you will all be wanting a ticket. It’s a great chance to see some of the players we haven’t seen yet.

I do think we should be allowed to pick whatever team we want though.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the competition is another victim of EFL incompetence.

PL under 23 teams playing is shambolic and the day one inevitably wins it kills the competition.

Forcing teams to play x amount of previous starters merely adds to the resentment towards the competition.

At the end of the day, teams in league one/two have to play in four competitions and do so with usually much smaller squads than those higher up.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Unfortunately, the competition is another victim of EFL incompetence.

PL under 23 teams playing is shambolic and the day one inevitably wins it kills the competition.

Forcing teams to play x amount of previous starters merely adds to the resentment towards the competition.

At the end of the day, teams in league one/two have to play in four competitions and do so with usually much smaller squads than those higher up.

Why is it a problem? It gives the younger players good experience.. and most of the time they get beat anyway by the league clubs. 

It adds something vs the prior version where it was just the 48 league clubs 

The selection rules are just a bit silly but from our perspective you can pretty much pick the line up we’d want to pick as we’d have at least 4 players that fit those criteria.

14 hours ago, tcuc3e said:

I think we all agree it's demeaning that we're in a competition against Newcastle's U23s. 

I'd be happy to only play our reserves for as long as we're in it, but there are rules which stop us doing that. 

The depth of our squad means we probably won't have too many issues but here's the rules on the four 'qualifying' players we must include the team:

EFL clubs must have at least four 'qualifying' outfield players in their line-ups, with such a player meeting these requirements:

Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture

Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season

Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career

Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club

A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

But an EPL team can play their U23s. One rule for them.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why is it a problem? It gives the younger players good experience.. and most of the time they get beat anyway by the league clubs. 

It adds something vs the prior version where it was just the 48 league clubs 

The selection rules are just a bit silly but from our perspective you can pretty much pick the line up we’d want to pick as we’d have at least 4 players that fit those criteria.

It makes a mockery of the competition. It is a competition for those in League One and Two.

It is one step closer to PL b-teams. 

It is a crap way of making up for the fact U23 league football is rubbish.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, darra said:

But an EPL team can play their U23s. One rule for them.

Maybe if we weren’t so crap and were in the premier league then we could play our under 23s too. We need to earn the right to be up there 

34 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Maybe if we weren’t so crap and were in the premier league then we could play our under 23s too. We need to earn the right to be up there 

If we were in the PL I’d be more than happy for our U23 team to play in this cup.

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

If we were in the PL I’d be more than happy for our U23 team to play in this cup.

Exactly, would be good experience. And I bet most league 1 and 2 clubs who are mainstays of the lower leagues don’t have a problem with it as they get to see some up and coming talent from the big clubs.

Its only our fans who are complaining about it because they see it as undignified having to play the youth teams of clubs they see as peers size wise or even smaller than us. But reality is they’re 2 divisions higher for a reason..

if we don’t want to play in this cup we shouldn’t have been relegated to this league