Pizza Cup selection rules

I think we all agree it's demeaning that we're in a competition against Newcastle's U23s. 

I'd be happy to only play our reserves for as long as we're in it, but there are rules which stop us doing that. 

The depth of our squad means we probably won't have too many issues but here's the rules on the four 'qualifying' players we must include the team:

EFL clubs must have at least four 'qualifying' outfield players in their line-ups, with such a player meeting these requirements:

Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture

Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season

Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career

Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club

A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

• Like 1

poo waste of time cup and no one would cry if we got knocked out, but we have a lot of players that could do with competitive minutes. Wildsmith, Gibson, dele-bashiru, corbeanu to name but a few. Also decent opportunity to ease windass and shodipo back in when ready. Use the cup for better reserve team football

• Like 3

Think of it as extra reserve games for the players to show what they can do and gain extra match fitness for when and if they're called upon in the season.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, tcuc3e said:

I think we all agree it's demeaning that we're in a competition against Newcastle's U23s. 

I'd be happy to only play our reserves for as long as we're in it, but there are rules which stop us doing that. 

The depth of our squad means we probably won't have too many issues but here's the rules on the four 'qualifying' players we must include the team:

EFL clubs must have at least four 'qualifying' outfield players in their line-ups, with such a player meeting these requirements:

Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture

Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season

Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career

Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club

A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

It’s easy. Let’s assume we keep the same starting 11 next game. We can still field an excellent team even if we change ALL eleven. A lot of players still need game time such as Corbeanu, Sow, Gibson, Johnson just to name a few.

I think its a good opportunity for players that's not been involved much to get a bit of game time. 

Being already out of EFL Cup I don't see much of a problem, group games are well spaced out, after Newcastle next game isn't till October.

• Like 2