Euro 2021

13 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

What annoyed me about Rashford was him not looking at the ball. 

He never does. He always takes penalties like that. Looks at the keeper until he moves then hits it the other way.

Genuinely don't understand how the is any blame for a missed penalty unless you go for some kind of panenka.

We should have gone at them. That is the crux of the matter. We sat off and they took over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

It's seems to be something in the English 'DNA' go ahead in a game and try and hang on regardless of the clock or team match up or anything. Worst thing thay could have happened for us 

I take it you didn't watch any Italian football in the 80s and 90s?

lol

• Haha 1

Gutted.

Saka and Sancho shouldn’t have been put in that position. Too young. I feel for them.

Southgate got it tactically all wrong second half. Too worried about losing, which is a theme of his management against the better sides. 

You’d hold your hands up and accept it if they gave it a go. But they didn’t that second half. That’s what’s annoyed me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rodger Wylde said:

I take it you didn't watch any Italian football in the 80s and 90s?

lol

Im a bit young for that mate 😂 but sick of seeing England and Wednesday worry more about the opposition then imposing ourselves on them 

Ah man.

So bloody close.

I'm gutted, but feel like we've got something more to build on than we did after losing the semi in 2018.

Credit to Italy for the way they out manouvered us for more than an hour in that game, they really put their all into the whole tournament and deserved winners. 

Just not to be, I hope the one thing we take from it is to keep playing our own game rather than inviting the opposition on, I felt if we'd got that 2nd tonight Italy were done. 

We'll go again.

• Like 1

Another time we face another tough knockout match in a major tournament = another game Southgate gets schooled by a manager

I wish he wouldn’t be in place to ruin Qatar for us.

That game was there for the taking and he bottled it with his negative approach.

Goals win games and we have wonderful talent…but the never get off the bench

Italy’s older players have stuck around to make them solid as fk

we went with the youth and had to abandon our older players

Italy were just slightly better, in the game and at penalties, by one

honestly the blame game is worse than the pity party

bring on the WC

• Like 3

Reflecting on the tournament as a whole, 

Massive credit to stones, Maguire, Shaw and pickford, and saka (final apart) 

Hit and miss - Kane and sterling 

Disappointed - Mount 

Think the fact that our best players overall were defenders makes the mindset more baffling, or is it a consequence of the mindset? 

Also mount had a shocker of a tournament imo, had high hopes coming in for him, wouldn't be in my XI now. 

Just now, McRightSide said:

Another time we face another tough knockout match in a major tournament = another game Southgate gets schooled by a manager

I wish he wouldn’t be in place to ruin Qatar for us.

That game was there for the taking and he bottled it with his negative approach.

Goals win games and we have wonderful talent…but the never get off the bench

Didn’t see the Iceland game? 

I can only assume Rice was injured, because to take him off for any other reason would have been scandalous.

How Mount survived 99 minutes as well is beyond me. A passenger.

Annoyed that we didn't change it at half time personally. I accept that it's on the players sometimes when they drop too deep and play scared. Hard for a manager to influence it too much from the touchline and get them to push out. That's when you need your leaders on the pitch to take control (they didn't). But when you've got them all in for 15 mins at half time...and then send them out exactly the same for the second half. Poor.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Italy’s older players have stuck around to make them solid as fk

we went with the youth and had to abandon our older players

Italy were just slightly better, in the game and at penalties, by one

honestly the blame game is worse than the pity party

bring on the WC

I don't think we have any decent older players to be fair 

2 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Reflecting on the tournament as a whole, 

Massive credit to stones, Maguire, Shaw and pickford, and saka (final apart) 

Hit and miss - Kane and sterling 

Disappointed - Mount 

Think the fact that our best players overall were defenders makes the mindset more baffling, or is it a consequence of the mindset? 

Also mount had a shocker of a tournament imo, had high hopes coming in for him, wouldn't be in my XI now. 

Sterling had an amazing competition 

Just now, TheGodfather said:

I can only assume Rice was injured, because to take him off for any other reason would have been scandalous.

How Mount survived 99 minutes as well is beyond me. A passenger.

Annoyed that we didn't change it at half time personally. I accept that it's on the players sometimes when they drop too deep and play scared. Hard for a manager to influence it too much from the touchline and get them to push out. That's when you need your leaders on the pitch to take control (they didn't). But when you've got them all in for 15 mins at half time...and then send them out exactly the same for the second half. Poor.

bizarre change. 

but he always makes it

rice was having the game of his life

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

HOW DO ITALY MISS 2 PENALTIES BUT STILL WIN IN 5 PENALTIES FFS RASHFORD

Not Rashford’s fault. Nor is it Saka’s nor Sancho’s; it’s Southgate’s. We were being overrun in midfield - does Southgate take off Mount (our least effective player) and stiffen us with three combative midfielders? No, he takes off our Rice -our best midfielder at that point. 
Italy were camped in our half in the second half - does he bring on Grealish? No, he brings on Saka a winger-cum-wingback -effectively, a change in player but not formation. 

Fvvcking rubbish from Southgate - he’s too conservative.   

Just now, shandypants said:

Not Rashford’s fault. Nor is it Saka’s nor Sancho’s; it’s Southgate’s. We were being overrun in midfield - does Southgate take off Mount (our least effective player) and stiffen us with three combative midfielders? No, he takes off our Rice -our best midfielder at that point. 
Italy were camped in our half in the second half - does he bring on Grealish? No, he brings on Saka a winger-cum-wingback -effectively, a change in player but not formation. 

Fvvcking rubbish from Southgate - he’s too conservative.   

Yeh bulk of blame for Southgate but Rashford's penalty was atrocious 

Any penalty that misses the target is terrible.

but why tf didn’t we go with the core players that had played the tournament 

grealish, Sterling, handerson, walker etc

they must have been awful in training with pens?