EFL win appeal over Derby County.

I absolutely detest that some clubs have bent the rules but have got away with it because they went up and the EFL can't do anything about it ...how can this be right didn't Leicester do this and was rewarded by winning the league a few years later?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

I absolutely detest that some clubs have bent the rules but have got away with it because they went up and the EFL can't do anything about it ...how can this be right didn't Leicester do this and was rewarded by winning the league a few years later?

Simple.

In 92, elite football clubs in England decided that they were too good to be under the jurisdiction of the Football League.

And I'll make the point I always do, Sheffield Wednesday voted for that to be the case.

• Like 1

Still amazed at how many of our fans accept rules that are designed to oppress us and they can't see it.

Irrespective of whether you believe our owner to be incompetent, the rules and regulations are stacked so heavily against a club like Wednesday that's it creates a boom or bust situation. We went for it. It didn't pay off. But had we not have gone for it, for the last 5 years we would have been mid table at best. 

Personally, if nothing changes then clubs such as ourselves, Forest, Derby, Sunderland etc should be looking to create a breakaway league.  Just like the Super League was designed to do and although supporters up and down the country protested against it, they were played by the other big boy money men and can't they see it. It was the one recent shot to dismantle the league structures as it is now. 

Enjoy directing your heat at the wrong people.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

I've seen this argument a few times now.

This is incorrect 

The EFL are the regulators of the clubs, they are not the clubs. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12003324/efl-championship-league-one-and-league-two-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-curtailment-proposals

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52705124.amp

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2020/11/efl-clubs-vote-for-five-subs-a-game/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/13/efl-clubs-agree-to-put-their-support-behind-project-big-picture

The clubs are the EFL.  Everything the EFL do, every rule they have, every sanction... Oh why waste time.  

EFL are bad bad people, out to oppress Sheffield Wednesday.

14 hours ago, kobayashi said:

If Derby are penalised points then but not for this season then I would expect SWFC to enquire as to why two clubs that had their hearings and appeals heard between the end of the last season and the end of the current season have had penalties applied to different seasons.

Don't think we would be too interested, would not affect us now.

Probably wise to keep quiet as sure we will be back in front of the EFL again for some other infraction sooner or later.

Something is very wrong with the timing of all of this! We appealed our case in August and the result came out at beginning of November that points deduction was to be cut to 6 points. The EFL appealed the Derby case in the beginning of September and the result is now being speculated over in May! Given the cases started at the same time what is going on? 

Yes we deserved to go down Blah blah blah. I am not saying we didn’t. But something is very wrong with how this has been handled and it has effected the outcome of the league and relegation positions. I personally would like an explanation of why the timing of two cases is so different.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Something is very wrong with the timing of all of this! We appealed our case in August and the result came out at beginning of November that points deduction was to be cut to 6 points. The EFL appealed the Derby case in the beginning of September and the result is now being speculated over in May! Given the cases started at the same time what is going on? 

Yes we deserved to go down Blah blah blah. I am not saying we didn’t. But something is very wrong with how this has been handled and it has effected the outcome of the league and relegation positions. I personally would like an explanation of why the timing of two cases is so different.

Likely because certain club were doing so badly that they did everything they could to delay the appeal hearing.

If they did then can see why Wycombe would consider a legal avenue, also Paul warne seemed very unhappy concerning derby and the comment he couldn't go into about them.

1 hour ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Still amazed at how many of our fans accept rules that are designed to oppress us and they can't see it.

Irrespective of whether you believe our owner to be incompetent, the rules and regulations are stacked so heavily against a club like Wednesday that's it creates a boom or bust situation. We went for it. It didn't pay off. But had we not have gone for it, for the last 5 years we would have been mid table at best. 

Personally, if nothing changes then clubs such as ourselves, Forest, Derby, Sunderland etc should be looking to create a breakaway league.  Just like the Super League was designed to do and although supporters up and down the country protested against it, they were played by the other big boy money men and can't they see it. It was the one recent shot to dismantle the league structures as it is now. 

Enjoy directing your heat at the wrong people.

We have mismanaged our finances beyond wrecklessly. It's like crying about crashing your car when you are doing 80mph in a 40 zone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

We cheated....We went barmy when anyone else did it...We accepted it when WE did it...We slagged leeds off for their prices....We accepted it when we did it...F.ookin' OWN it.

The difference is between us and most of the others is...A chairman who had no f.ookin' idea whatsoever bar throwing money at rubbish.

If Chansiri had took some advice, advice that was readily available for the money he threw about on crocks like Abdi and urby..We might well have got away with it, we didn't cos he's daft.....

Please stop saying WE broke the rules, it was the chairman and we are victims of his incompetent actions😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Don't think we would be too interested, would not affect us now.

Probably wise to keep quiet as sure we will be back in front of the EFL again for some other infraction sooner or later.

It depends...if the offences occurred in the same timeframe and if the hearings and appeals also occurred in the same timeframe then the penalties should be applied in the same timeframe. So both this season or both next season. Both this season they both get relegated, both next year then Derby get relegated and start next season on minus points whilst Wednesday stay up but start next season on minus points!!

Edited by kobayashi
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

We have mismanaged our finances beyond wrecklessly. It's like crying about crashing your car when you are doing 80mph in a 40 zone. 

All roads leads to a closed entry to the Premier League.

You are 1 of 4.

1) Those who yo yo between Prem and Championship who have the benefit of parachute payments.

2) Those who "throw money at it" to compete with those in number 1).

3) Those who don't "throw money at it" and don't have the benefit of parachute payments, but will at no point be serious contenders for promotion.

4) the odd occasion a club gets promotion who aren't in 1,2,3 above, but it's very rare.

You'll often find those in 2 will end up in League 1 at some point.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

All roads leads to a closed entry to the Premier League.

You are 1 of 4.

1) Those who yo yo between Prem and Championship who have the benefit of parachute payments.

2) Those who "throw money at it" to compete with those in number 1).

3) Those who don't "throw money at it" and don't have the benefit of parachute payments, but will at no point be serious contenders for promotion.

4) the odd occasion a club gets promotion who aren't in 1,2,3 above, but it's very rare.

You'll often find those in 2 will end up in League 1 at some point.

Which teams have thrown money at it and ended up in League 1 in recent years because we are the only team I can genuinely think of. Analyse who's gone down to League one over say the 9 years we've been in the Champ. Who has done what we have done and handled our finances so tragically. 

Guest LondonOwl313
42 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Which teams have thrown money at it and ended up in League 1 in recent years because we are the only team I can genuinely think of. Analyse who's gone down to League one over say the 9 years we've been in the Champ. Who has done what we have done and handled our finances so tragically. 

He's absolutely right... think he meant teams in 3) rather than 2) end up in League 1 usually though

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He's absolutely right... think he meant teams in 3) rather than 2) end up in League 1 usually though

Those who don't throw money at it are always less likely to be succesful on average. That's the same case for every league in the World right? Isn't that just an expectation? 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Your take on this throughout this thread is way off to me. If we go along with what you're saying, and don't 'cheat'.. whats the plan?

Do we budget to our £25m revenue when there are 6-8 clubs with revenue of more than double that due to parachute payments?

How do you expect that to play out. Do you expect to compete or would the goal be to finish 16th in the Championship every season?

It all leads back to... if you want to compete, you have to spend. If you don't spend, you're unlikely to compete. Can't blame clubs for wanting to better themselves. Why aren't you calling teams like Norwich, WBA, Fulham, Watford and Bournemouth cheats when they're financing themselves with parachute payments rather than organically generated revenue?

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Those who don't throw money at it are always less likely to be succesful on average. That's the same case for every league in the World right? Isn't that just an expectation? 

I think thats largely the case. Earlier in the thread I posted the promoted sides over the last 10 seasons. Only 5 out of 30 weren't financed by parachute payments or an owner throwing the kitchen sink at it. So basically, if you don't spend you're hoping to be that one team in every two seasons that wins promotion without spending much. There are maybe 14 out of 24 clubs in the league in that bracket so the odds are 1 in 28 (2 x14), or about 3%.

Thats not a business model you can work towards, thats a lottery.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think thats largely the case. Earlier in the thread I posted the promoted sides over the last 10 seasons. Only 5 out of 30 weren't financed by parachute payments or an owner throwing the kitchen sink at it. So basically, if you don't spend you're hoping to be that one team in every two seasons that wins promotion without spending much. There are maybe 14 out of 24 clubs in the league in that bracket so the odds are 1 in 28 (2 x14), or about 3%.

Thats not a business model you can work towards, thats a lottery.

Exactly.