FFP regulations for league 1

26 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Doesn't the wage paying problems we've seen this year prove he has no money left?

We know from the last set of accounts that we have significantly reduced our 3 year losses cycle. So there should have been room to 'lose' the money needed to pay those wages in the given months they were paid late. 

Yet it didn't happen.

This. 

We have completed the 3 year FFP cycle that cost us points. We have dramatically reduced the wage bill and at the same time sold a few players and the stadium to show a profit. If the chairman had the money and resources he surely wouldn't be avoiding paying his main staff in a time when it is most crucial for them to be paid. A time when a relegation would damage the clubs finances significantly. There are still gullible fans that believe he has been hampered by evil FFP rules or he would be putting loads of money into the club. They have been dazzled by 2 years of wreckless vanity spending. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

I've been sat nodding off today - I'm knackered after yesterday's exhausting game

And the exhausting revelations about what has gone on that also came to light.

We are in a bad way, if the OP is right though it does give the owner a chance to literally put his money where his mouth is if owner investment is allowed to count towards tunrover in terms of spending allowances at this level.

How many times have we been told he is unable to spend what he wants on the team due to the rules restricting it?

I won't hold my breath.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

This. 

We have completed the 3 year FFP cycle that cost us points. We have dramatically reduced the wage bill and at the same time sold a few players and the stadium to show a profit. If the chairman had the money and resources he surely wouldn't be avoiding paying his main staff in a time when it is most crucial for them to be paid. A time when a relegation would damage the clubs finances significantly. There are still gullible fans that believe he has been hampered by evil FFP rules or he would be putting loads of money into the club. They have been dazzled by 2 years of wreckless vanity spending. 

Sadly it is hard to look beyond this.

As you say, if money was available, surely it would have been spent on ensuring players were paid on time at critical moments. 

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

I reckon he's broke and we're going to see and feel that next season.

No significant signings in 4 years, i can't see that changing now.

I disagree. If hes broke, how on earth has he kept the club afloat on his own, with no revenue coming into the club?

I know you arent allowed to say this on here, but i really hope it turns round for Chansiri. We all know hes made lots of mistakes but i think he genuinely wants to do his best and see us succesful.

If the OP is correct then we could actually be in a reasonably strong position next season.

Again unlike most here, i think we could have some fun next season

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Its obvious that he had access to lot of cash. Then he spent it.

And now he hasn't got access to a lot of cash anymore.

Whether that is partly covid related we don't know but the fact is that hes still got my 555 quid plus the seasons before 100 despite me legally asking for it back.

So it probably means that he's got in a huge financial hole.

That or the new IT doesnt work and its really ok.

Didnt DC say though that the club must fund itself...   Cant see him ploughing money into the club, I think the love affair is kinda over but now he is lumbered with a club that he kinda still wants but wants it more as a play thing and does not want to plough more money in as he knows now he will never get it back.

Time will tell on the wages, maybe it's simply a cash flow issue, rather than a reflection of his level of wealth.

Either way, it's certainly been handled very badly. Players finding out the day before a game that their money hasn't gone in!?

And that's the worry with Chansiri - even if he's loaded, the way he runs the club is terrible.

People say "if only we'd won that game at Wembley, or the semi against Hudds" but look at where Hull City and Huddersfield Town are now. Hull coming back up from League 1 and Town in any other season would have been in the thick of a relegation scrap. Who's to say we would have faired any better?

If the strategy in League 1 is just DC pumping some money in to sign 30 year old Premier League rejects on big money, then we've learnt nothing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Haven't we learnt anything from this experience. Money is not the only way to create a team. Even if we had aguiro money players of his status are not going to play in league 1.

All the speculation about DC finances is pointless. If we to look at the past his financial backing has been good. Nothing says that things have changed. After a season of zero gate receipts we still standing just. 

Last time we were in league 1 we had a consolidation season the first season. I see the same happening next season. We need to be patient again and let DM build a squad that is for the future. 

Last time we were in league one we had a manager with a proven record of building teams, solid at the back and hard to beat, we had a team with good loans, good free agents, youth players being brought into the team, a chairman who understood football and was able to make big decisions when needed not take 3 months to make the wrong ones and we owned our own ground, we also had no debt to the chairman of any finance institutions.

We couldn't be further away 12 years later if we tried. 

I think the only similarity is we still play in blue and white stripes just. 

Though I am sure with little or no fans income those new shirts will be out and ready within the next 4 weeks. We won't be wanting until October for them to turn up next season.

Didn't the Championship rules regarding FFP change shortly after DC purchased the club?

I thought that in a similar way to League 1's rulings that owners were initially able to spend there wealth as long as it was a donation and not a loan back around 2015, but didn't things change in either 2016 or 2017 (or was that just when he started acting stupid with Fletchers contract, Rhodes deal etc)....just seem to remember DC kicking off saying it was impossible for clubs to compete with the new rulings regarding P&S, and that owners should be able to spend there own money if they wished?

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Think it is also part of the rules that a maximum of 60% of income can be spent on wages.

So although we can pay whatever we want on transfer fees, with the loss of income we are going to be struggling to attract decent players on decent wages.

Yep but in league 1, any donations to the club by the owner are included in the income figure which is different to the championship where the losses owner can cover are limited.

14 minutes ago, TbagMcgraw said:

Didn't the Championship rules regarding FFP change shortly after DC purchased the club?

I thought that in a similar way to League 1's rulings that owners were initially able to spend there wealth as long as it was a donation and not a loan back around 2015, but didn't things change in either 2016 or 2017 (or was that just when he started acting stupid with Fletchers contract, Rhodes deal etc)....just seem to remember DC kicking off saying it was impossible for clubs to compete with the new rulings regarding P&S, and that owners should be able to spend there own money if they wished?

League 1 didn't change same was as championship did. 60% of income can be spent on wages, income includes any gifts from owner. There are no 'caps' on losses. 

• Like 1

Isn’t there a wage cap in League One though? I believe a sensible approach is still needed.

Darren Moore had Doncaster in the playoffs when he joined us and they’ve finished 14th today. I believe he is the right man if able to bring in his own players, something he hasn’t been able to do as yet.

The ball is now firmly in Chansiri’s court.

14 minutes ago, El Toro said:

Isn’t there a wage cap in League One though? I believe a sensible approach is still needed.

Darren Moore had Doncaster in the playoffs when he joined us and they’ve finished 14th today. I believe he is the right man if able to bring in his own players, something he hasn’t been able to do as yet.

The ball is now firmly in Chansiri’s court.

Wage cap was scrapped

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

not totally clued up on league 1 but just had a look at the 6 who finished at top and i dont see any of them having spent a great deal .......you can get out of this division at the right end on cheapies ,freebies and loans  ...the trick is for chansiri is getting the right bloke in as manager and let him get on with it .......

Do you think DM is the right bloke? 

1 hour ago, Eastern said:

If we are potless, then I assume we’ll be getting proper sponsors next season?

I hope we go back to lots of ‘normal’ commercial practices like reasonably priced exec boxes and corporate packages. I’ve got a small business and would love to use Wednesdays facilities but I’m priced right out at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Considering we’ve been paying Champaign ticket prices to watch complete and utter s**t, I think he owes it to the fans to get his hand in his pocket and fund a successful promotion campaign.

How many million does he need to loose before it's back over to the fans?

People want a Brentford style club they just don't want to pay for it.