Greatest player we ever had you know...

4 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

I remember been an the dell as young lad 

and I swear di canio must have rounded there keeper “it felt like 5 times” more likely 2/3 , I was just waiting for him to put it in the net. Think we won 3-2 

maverick, enigma & a player who got you out of your seat 

I think he got board so he scored. Paul Jones was diving all over the place. He took on the defender then after he’d done the keeper the defender had got back so he did him again. Brilliance.

Imagine how good he could have been if he wasn’t playing with the likes of Andy Booth and Guy Whittingham ?!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think he got board so he scored. Paul Jones was diving all over the place. He took on the defender then after he’d done the keeper the defender had got back so he did him again. Brilliance.

Imagine how good he could have been if he wasn’t playing with the likes of Andy Booth and Guy Whittingham ?!

Saw him do a talk at the city hall and he named Andy booth as one of his favourite strike partners 

I think Waddle was the classier player he was at the end of his career with us and matured into something special as a footballer,

(I have never seen anyone literally walk around an opponnent he didn't need pace).

Absolute phenomenal at times... obviously the West Ham game was probably the best single performance from a Wednesday player in our history.

Di Canio ability wise was just about on level, but I think 'cos he was in a poorer Wednesday team him (and Carbone) had

more influences on games.

I remember Man Utd rolling up at Hillsborough, 40k there and both him and Carbone took them apart.

Our side had Earl Barrett, Booth, Atherton in and they had Neville, Sheringham, Cole, Beckham and Scholes.

The way he left has stuck in some Wednesday fans head in a bitter way but for me I would pay to watch Di Canio play probably more

than any other Wednesday player, loved his style and passion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, room0035 said:

In my 40+ years of watching the Owls

Best player we had for Ability was Chrissy Waddle. and we had him in the twilight of his career

The most hard working pro we had was Des Walker 

The best Captain we had was Nigel Pearson

The most decorated international I think was Irish - Nigel Worthington

The best striker we ever had was David Hirst (when fit)

And the biggest drinker - thats got to be Sheridan, Palmer, Hirst........ lol 

Just think there is any Owl out their under 22 that has never seen our team play in the top flight. We had a team with internationals in, we had multi million pound player that in today's market would have been worth tens of millions, we had fa cup matches at Hillsborough, international euro 96 Hillsborough was one of the host venues.

I don't know if these times will ever return because over the last 6 years we have slowly gone backwards and with the bloke in charge we will fall further until he either brings in someone to run the club or sells up.

Wasn’t it strongly rumoured that Des Walker sometimes got told not to come to training cus he was a bit of a cnnt?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Cant be doing with listening to the sheep who bleat on about how he was a fancy dan etc etc just because they heard someone at the club say it 

He was the greatest talent of them all

Never doubted his talent, just his attitude, not a team player, and teams win trophy's not individuals.

With his talent he should have been spoken of as one of the greats of the game along with Best, Cruyf, Pele etc, all world class players every fan recognises about.

Greatest player we ever had...?

No one is alive that ever saw him play but Andrew Wilson has to be in with a shout.

He's the club's record goalscorer with 216 goals (all 199 league goals in the top tier), and he won two League Championships and an FA Cup winners' medal with The Wednesday.

He was top scorer for six seasons and made nearly 550 appearances (which would have been a lot more had it not been for the big England v Germany World Cup match of 1914-1918).

I would have loved to have seen him play before deciding who the greatest player was!

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
22 hours ago, room0035 said:

In my 40+ years of watching the Owls

Best player we had for Ability was Chrissy Waddle. and we had him in the twilight of his career

The most hard working pro we had was Des Walker 

The best Captain we had was Nigel Pearson

The most decorated international I think was Irish - Nigel Worthington

The best striker we ever had was David Hirst (when fit)

And the biggest drinker - thats got to be Sheridan, Palmer, Hirst........ lol 

Just think there is any Owl out their under 22 that has never seen our team play in the top flight. We had a team with internationals in, we had multi million pound player that in today's market would have been worth tens of millions, we had fa cup matches at Hillsborough, international euro 96 Hillsborough was one of the host venues.

I don't know if these times will ever return because over the last 6 years we have slowly gone backwards and with the bloke in charge we will fall further until he either brings in someone to run the club or sells up.

Roland was most dedicated, say ex team mates.

1 hour ago, Bluewings said:

Hirst was explosive.

Can you imagine a fit David Hirst playing next to Di Canio. Champions league level 100%

Wowzer.

There was a difference though, for me. Hirst turned up every week and put everything into every game, despite his injury woes. He was one of, if not the most effective footballer I have seen - what I mean by that is he delivered every ounce of talent he had and didn’t leave anything in the locker. He was also a ‘big game’ player. The harder the game, the better he was. He was a mans man. 

Dicanio was brilliant, blessed with incredible skill, but the bottom lip could also go and he could drift in and out of games. A Dicanio born in Yorkshire, there would have been an English Maradona.

3 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Trevor Francis worthy of a mention.  He arrived even later in his career than Waddle, but in some of his cameo performances you could see real quality, the likes of which I’ve not seen in a Wednesday shirt too often.

I agree with this. Tricky Trev was clearly blessed and put in some great cameos. He also the reason I am starting a one man campaign to bring back stanchions. What a beauty that was 😀

10 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Wowzer.

There was a difference though, for me. Hirst turned up every week and put everything into every game, despite his injury woes. He was one of, if not the most effective footballer I have seen - what I mean by that is he delivered every ounce of talent he had and didn’t leave anything in the locker. He was also a ‘big game’ player. The harder the game, the better he was. He was a mans man. 

Dicanio was brilliant, blessed with incredible skill, but the bottom lip could also go and he could drift in and out of games. A Dicanio born in Yorkshire, there would have been an English Maradona.

100% agree with this.

Hirst turned up did his upmost every game, literally cannot remember him having an off game either.

In his prime he's the best centre forward I've seen in a Wednesday shirt.

1 hour ago, 1867Heaven said:

Wasn’t it strongly rumoured that Des Walker sometimes got told not to come to training cus he was a bit of a cnnt?

Not that I ever heard, but for a guy he was 8 out of 10 virtually every games over 8 full seasons, he played 307 or 316 games in the league. As far as Owls fans were concerned he was Mr Reliable unlike some of the fools we have had in the squad over the last 20+ years

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Roland was most dedicated, say ex team mates.

Rolly was the best international/ foreign player we have ever had - I do think at some point in the future he will end up our manager as well - that is unless DC sends the club out of existence.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Not that I ever heard, but for a guy he was 8 out of 10 virtually every games over 8 full seasons, he played 307 or 316 games in the league. As far as Owls fans were concerned he was Mr Reliable unlike some of the fools we have had in the squad over the last 20+ years

Not knocking Des performance wise

43 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Wowzer.

I remember one game ,v West Ham, and because the lino did not give him a throw in, he spent 5 min's arguing with him.

We were to all intent's and purposes, down to 10 men, in which time Tony Cottee scored the only goal.

For all his brilliance, when he turned up, time's like this tarnished his time with us for me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

100% agree with this.

Hirst turned up did his upmost every game, literally cannot remember him having an off game either.

In his prime he's the best centre forward I've seen in a Wednesday shirt.

One of the best games I ever remember seeing.......was 0-0 v Blackburn. We had Hirst and Bright up front versus Hendry & May and they had Shearer and Newall versus Pearson and Viv I think. Not a f***ing inch was given, nor taken. No one shirked a tackle, no one dived or feigned injury, it was a bruising end to end battle. Absolutely brilliant game, exactly how football should be played. It was exhilarating to watch and bet they had bruises on every inch of their bodies. Hirst v Hendry was magnificent that day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

I am not sure I would put it as strongly as that but I think Des Walker had a reputation of being a bit awkward.

I think him and Emereson Thome didnt see eye to eye.