Greatest player we ever had you know...

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why?

It's not done so with Chris Waddle etc?

Didn’t know Waddle had a Mussolini tattoo?

Anyway, Di Cannio was great. My memory of him is always a bit clouded by how he left and was terrific for West Ham. No doubt the club could have managed the whole situation way better than they did. Wish we’d had him for a couple more seasons at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Only player that has come close was FF in his first season there, and if he could play at that level consistently, he’d have been a Premier League player 

😂 Di Canio was a top player in the PL for multiple clubs over a number of years.

FF has had one very good season in the championship in his 12 year career.

They are miles apart.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest T Hardy
19 minutes ago, 83owl said:

😂 Di Canio was a top player in the PL for multiple clubs over a number of years.

FF has had one very good season in the championship in his 12 year career.

They are miles apart.

Read my post again. 

Guest hirstysfags
2 hours ago, Onge said:

I might not agree with Waddle's views, but I don't recall him ever doing a Nazi salute.

But it's about ability, not political views.

Many years ago we had some great players.

Best we've had ...... David Hirst. World class striker, possibly one of the best in Europe for a few years. Stayed a while, wasn't with us in his twilight years like Waddle and wasn't "passing through" like Di Canio and a few others.

Roland Nilsson probably a close second in my book.

I remember Di Canio's debut at Newcastle first match of the season 97/98. He came on as sub. 99% of players wore black boots then. Di Canio was wearing gold boots. Bright gold. He'd better be good wearing them I thought.

His first touch of the ball was down in the corner at their end facing two barcoder defenders. In a split second he skipped past the first and left the second on his backside as he advanced on goal.

He'll do for me I thought. But as the Celtic fans had warned us, he was one of the most skilfully players ever..... but a bit nuts.

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, 83owl said:

No thanks

Because you’d have to admit you didn’t read it properly before. Fair enough.

Roland Nilsson  (the job he did on Lee Sharpe in the 91 cup final was sheer class)

closely followed by the one and only walking in the Waddle wonderland.

What a team in those early 90s - seems so long ago

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Because you’d have to admit you didn’t read it properly before. Fair enough.

Your original post said only player that came close was Forestieri in his first season.

One or two good seasons of Championship football do not come close to Di Canio in terms of ability. 

Guest T Hardy
2 hours ago, markg said:

Thought Carbone was better than FF.

I probably agree. Was just thinking in more modern times really. FF in 15-16 season was unplayable and a real joy to watch, I don’t think it’s controversial of me to say that if FF produced that form consecutively over a number of seasons, he could have easily played for a Premier League team.

I don’t mean a City or Liverpool, but certainly a Burnley or Brighton type team, I have no doubt 

3 minutes ago, OwlerIT said:

Roland Nilsson  (the job he did on Lee Sharpe in the 91 cup final was sheer class)

closely followed by the one and only walking in the Waddle wonderland.

What a team in those early 90s - seems so long ago

Waddle wins it for me for entertainment value but you couldn't wish for a more solid pro and dependable right-back than Nilsson.

Di Canio was a quality footballer though, great to watch, had a few good away days watching him was at Goodison to watch him score the one in the club 23 years ago, think Booth had just been sent off for time wasting after putting the ball in the net when he was offside, even though the whistle seemed to go after he had struck the shot. 

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Your original post said only player that came close was Forestieri in his first season.

One or two good seasons of Championship football do not come close to Di Canio in terms of ability. 

On reflection, Carbone was better, but I said if that one season was 5 seasons of that form for FF, he’d have probably played in the Premier League, so it’s hypothetical obviously. I’m not saying one great season in the Championship equals the same as a Premier League legend that is Paolo, but I can’t think of a player who had an impact like FF did in his first season here for 20 years, and if he kept that form for a couple of years, I’m certain a Burnley or a Brighton would have taken a chance on him, not sure what’s so difficult to understand about what I’m trying to say. 

8 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I probably agree. Was just thinking in more modern times really. FF in 15-16 season was unplayable and a real joy to watch, I don’t think it’s controversial of me to say that if FF produced that form consecutively over a number of seasons, he could have easily played for a Premier League team.

I don’t mean a City or Liverpool, but certainly a Burnley or Brighton type team, I have no doubt 

Yeah I see what you mean. He was fantastic in that first season 

7 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

On reflection, Carbone was better, but I said if that one season was 5 seasons of that form for FF, he’d have probably played in the Premier League, so it’s hypothetical obviously. I’m not saying one great season in the Championship equals the same as a Premier League legend that is Paolo, but I can’t think of a player who had an impact like FF did in his first season here for 20 years, and if he kept that form for a couple of years, I’m certain a Burnley or a Brighton would have taken a chance on him, not sure what’s so difficult to understand about what I’m trying to say. 

The bit where you said Forestieri was the only player to come close to Di Canio probably.