Greatest player we ever had you know...

In my 40+ years of watching the Owls

Best player we had for Ability was Chrissy Waddle. and we had him in the twilight of his career

The most hard working pro we had was Des Walker 

The best Captain we had was Nigel Pearson

The most decorated international I think was Irish - Nigel Worthington

The best striker we ever had was David Hirst (when fit)

And the biggest drinker - thats got to be Sheridan, Palmer, Hirst........ lol 

Just think there is any Owl out their under 22 that has never seen our team play in the top flight. We had a team with internationals in, we had multi million pound player that in today's market would have been worth tens of millions, we had fa cup matches at Hillsborough, international euro 96 Hillsborough was one of the host venues.

I don't know if these times will ever return because over the last 6 years we have slowly gone backwards and with the bloke in charge we will fall further until he either brings in someone to run the club or sells up.

• Like 4

Guest T Hardy
27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Cant be doing with listening to the sheep who bleat on about how he was a fancy dan etc etc just because they heard someone at the club say it 

He was the greatest talent of them all

Only player that has come close was FF in his first season there, and if he could play at that level consistently, he’d have been a Premier League player 

I suppose it's an age thing. Curran was the driving force in my attendances, late teens/early twenties. We've had some marvellous players since, but none quite gave me that buzz and motivation that Curran did. Probably teenybopper syndrome. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I thought he political views would have made him a persona non grata.

I can think he's an awesome player whilst still thinking he's an absolute bellend of a man.

In the same way I love Bowie's music but think his sexual preferences back in the day were lets say a tad questionable 

Edited by Gob_Bluth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since I started watching Wednesday regularly since 1988, the 4 players that really stood out for me were Waddle, Sheridan, Nilsson and Hirst. They were part of a quality side at the time. Obviously, Walker was a tremendous defender and Pearson was a top captain. But Di Canio comes in the next category for me.

• Like 1

Curran was quite extraordinary in that promotion season. He was far and away the best player on the pitch most of the time. It often seemed to be the case that someone would give him the ball & he’d just waltz through whatever defence he was up against. He scored 20-ish & could have had many more apart from laying several goals on a plate for others. Honestly expected him to do something every time he got the ball. Great entertainer. How JC persuaded him to leave Southampton I’ll never know. FF threatened to be a similar player in his first season before his ego spoilt things. Waddle really embraced the Wednesday ethos & still cares about us. Wonderful player. De Canio had some remarkable moments too but I always thought he was just passing through. 

Guest Jack the Hat

Great goal, great player. I always thought Carbone was the best of the two Italians as his overall game was better. Hirst was definitely - IMO - a better striker. Difficult to compare as they all had different styles and Hirst played in a far superior team; however my heart sinks when I think about them lot and what we have now.