Greatest player we ever had you know...

7 hours ago, markg said:

Saw him do a talk at the city hall and he named Andy booth as one of his favourite strike partners 

Really ?? Wonder why that was.

Booth tried hard but lets be honest his first touch wasnt great he was slower than slow and although good in the air he missed a lot of headed chances. Was IMO just a league too high. Did ok for us but as were a lot of our players then not in the same class as those around them.

For every Carbone there was a Whittingham, For every Thome there was a Atherton. 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Booth tried hard but lets be honest his first touch wasnt great he was slower than slow and although good in the air he missed a lot of headed chances. Was IMO just a league too high. Did ok for us but as were a lot of our players then not in the same class as those around them.

For every Carbone there was a Whittingham, For every Thome there was a Atherton. 

Probably cos he did all the dirty side of it that he didn't like to do perhaps. He didn't go in to too much detail other than to say that he worked incredibly hard. 

I kinda assumed it was a bit like why top players enjoyed playing with players like Heskey etc.

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Rolly was the best international/ foreign player we have ever had - I do think at some point in the future he will end up our manager as well - that is unless DC sends the club out of existence.

They say he was fanatical, training all day which was non existent then.

Can tell too, fast down right and getting back, unlike Citys ex Blade defender.

We are light years away such happy days.

In terms of individual ability, I'd go with Di Canio, but in terms of the greatest ever over an extended period of time, surely has to be Andrew Wilson?

20 years at the club, leading appearance maker and scorer of all time.

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We finished 7th in the Prem league in his 1st season, before we signed DiCanio, when we finished 13th after toying with relegation.

Its a tough one this. Waddle was talented and a comitted team player and still a star in his late career but did he get you off your seat like PdC did ? Paolo for me was a crazy version of George Best he was that gifted and exciting but it was always going to end in tears.  Just enjoy that we had both.  No doubt who was the better person though.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 13:33, room0035 said:

In my 40+ years of watching the Owls

Best player we had for Ability was Chrissy Waddle. and we had him in the twilight of his career

The most hard working pro we had was Des Walker 

The best Captain we had was Nigel Pearson

The most decorated international I think was Irish - Nigel Worthington

The best striker we ever had was David Hirst (when fit)

And the biggest drinker - thats got to be Sheridan, Palmer, Hirst........ lol 

Just think there is any Owl out their under 22 that has never seen our team play in the top flight. We had a team with internationals in, we had multi million pound player that in today's market would have been worth tens of millions, we had fa cup matches at Hillsborough, international euro 96 Hillsborough was one of the host venues.

I don't know if these times will ever return because over the last 6 years we have slowly gone backwards and with the bloke in charge we will fall further until he either brings in someone to run the club or sells up.

Can’t argue with you, other than I think I’d maybe have Mick Lyons as our best captain 

On 28/04/2021 at 08:40, sheriwozgod said:

Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, Nilsson................................the best 4 in 80 years of watching us , put in any order you want.

you must have seen legends like robinson,quixall, dooley,froggatt layne ,fantham, springett,swan,  i'm surprised you havnt included one or two of them .