Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

26 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Young people haven’t lost interest in sport, they’ve lost access to it. 

Too many TV streams, a lot of which are unaffordable for many people 

did they ever have access to it? I know when growing up Sky was the first place I could watch football (forget F1, cricket etc) 

Just now, Burnsie said:

did they ever have access to it? I know when growing up Sky was the first place I could watch football (forget F1, cricket etc) 

True. Just feels like it’s gone bonkers. it’s basically a different subscription for each tournament (FA Cup, League, Carling Cup, champions league)

Takes me about 30 mins to find out what channel some of the bigger games are on 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

True. Just feels like it’s gone bonkers. it’s basically a different subscription for each tournament (FA Cup, League, Carling Cup, champions league)

Takes me about 30 mins to find out what channel some of the bigger games are on 

oh, 100%. it forces "#truefans" towards IPTV 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Yep.

It's interesting that in a week where everyone has been up in arms about the greed of American influence,  I think the NFL actually leads the way in terms of accessibility - especially where international growth is concerned. 

NFL Game Pass costs me £135 per year, and with that I get 24/7 coverage all year, access to every single game that season - for every team - either live or on demand (apart from whichever Sunday games Sky have got, funnily enough), tons of on demand programming..

The comparative value for me to watch live football in my own country is absolutely dreadful, and the result is that most of the time I just don't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Could be an argument for 1 free to air game to be broadcast a week.

33 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yep.

It's interesting that in a week where everyone has been up in arms about the greed of American influence,  I think the NFL actually leads the way in terms of accessibility - especially where international growth is concerned. 

NFL Game Pass costs me £135 per year, and with that I get 24/7 coverage all year, access to every single game that season - for every team - either live or on demand (apart from whichever Sunday games Sky have got, funnily enough), tons of on demand programming..

The comparative value for me to watch live football in my own country is absolutely dreadful, and the result is that most of the time I just don't. 

That's not the main issue though, its that the selected clubs will be immune from relegation stopping the traditional heritage of the game. 

It goes against the grain.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I agree, just as unaffordable as attending a game. Fans being priced out whichever way they try to access.

Hopefully football has had a dose of reality throughout covid and the ESL debacle and focuses more on value for money, not just treating fans like (customers) cash cows. 

I highly doubt it, but can hope. 

Edited by striker

Guest LondonOwl313

Sky is pretty cheap.. I pay £25 a month on Now TV for sports. Loads of premier league and championship games, sky sports news, loads of cricket, golf. It’s good value. If it was free you wouldn’t get good coverage.

iFollow is much more of a rip off at £10 for one game. Personally think that’s worth about a fiver 

16 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Sky is pretty cheap.. I pay £25 a month on Now TV for sports. Loads of premier league and championship games, sky sports news, loads of cricket, golf. It’s good value. If it was free you wouldn’t get good coverage.

iFollow is much more of a rip off at £10 for one game. Personally think that’s worth about a fiver 

When it was free in the 1980s then except for the times when there was no coverage at all because there was no TV deals then there were a maximum of 2-3 hours of recorded football highlights per week plus the Saint & Greavsie...  

11 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

When it was free in the 1980s then except for the times when there was no coverage at all because there was no TV deals then there were a maximum of 2-3 hours of recorded football highlights per week plus the Saint & Greavsie...  

Ten minutes of highlights on Match of the Day for all the football clubs I don't support was plenty for me.  

They have literally highlighted all the good bits for you and taken all the hours of faffing about with throw ins and passing it about in your own half out. 

Well, not so much of the last part. It was the '90s.  All the hopefully hoofing it up the pitch for the big one to knock down and the little one to run onto.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That's not the main issue though, its that the selected clubs will be immune from relegation stopping the traditional heritage of the game. 

It goes against the grain.

Did you mean to quote me with this?

I know that. I was quoting FreshOwl specifically about the ease of access to actually watching the game, and how English football could and should learn from how one of the major American sports handles their televised content. 

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

Did you mean to quote me with this?

I know that. I was quoting FreshOwl specifically about the ease of access to actually watching the game, and how English football could and should learn from how one of the major American sports handles their televised content. 

Was just quoting you, didn't read other posts in relation to it.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I pay nearly that for a TV licence....only forr MOTD. Now that's a rip off! I need to pay to access Netflix ... That I'm already paying for?!

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

ifollow isn't as bad a price when you get the full season or monthly pass (especially if it is a busy month). £20 monthly, £140 for the season. Yeah, it's a lot of money  to watch ONLY Wednesday and I wish instead it covered all clubs, but since I've moved abroad it's all I have 😅 Just a pain in the backside too when a match is on the equivalent of sky over here, I either have to sign up for a month at £40 a month, or have audio only. 

Edited by Owl-about-that-then

30 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Ten minutes of highlights on Match of the Day for all the football clubs I don't support was plenty for me.  

They have literally highlighted all the good bits for you and taken all the hours of faffing about with throw ins and passing it about in your own half out. 

Well, not so much of the last part. It was the '90s.  All the hopefully hoofing it up the pitch for the big one to knock down and the little one to run onto.

Possibly and it suits me also as I'm not interested in watching wall to wall coverage of other football teams so have never had Sky,. But Sky didn't take away free live football and put it behind a pay wall because before Sky there were only a few live games shown per year - they will  show more live games over this weekend than a whole year in the mid-80s. 

Iptv £40  for the year

VPN £20 for the year 

Football from all over the world 

Bt sports

Sky sports 

Movies 

All you need

Sky's a ripoff

• Like 2