Record signings - Last 3

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Abdi, Reach, Rhodes? Is that right? 

All bought for large fees, and it's looking likely that all of them will have finished their contracts to leave on frees. 

Almost £20m in transfer fees, and you'd expect all would have been among the top earners at the club. Is the transfer market where Chansiri has failed most?

Reach has been a regular player in the starting XI sooooo

You could argue that he's kinda been worth the money considering he's been an ever present.

He's done roughly 40 games a season...

(But you could also argue that he's been bobbins for ages and it's been like playing with 10 men)

I don't mind players going for free if they have been decent value for there fee like you see at other clubs

But it's hardly ever the case at Wednesday.

I think it's more a failure to sell barely anyone that has been Chansiris biggest failing

Someone with better knowledge might pickup someone I've missed.  but as far as I'm aware the only first teamers we've sold and got a payment for since DC has been here have been

Stevie May (not sure if this was pre or post DC)

Rhoys Wiggins

Jack Hunt

Joao

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Reach has been a regular player in the starting XI sooooo

You could argue that he's kinda been worth the money considering he's been an ever present.

He's done roughly 40 games a season...

(But you could also argue that he's been bobbins for ages and it's been like playing with 10 men)

I don't mind players going for free if they have been decent value for there fee like you see at other clubs

But it's hardly ever the case at Wednesday.

I'm fairly certain that no player has been involved with more goals (either scoring or assisting) than Reach whilst he's been here. £5m is a bargain when you look at comparable transfer fees around the same time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, domSWFC said:

All bought for large fees, and it's looking likely that all of them will have finished their contracts to leave on frees. 

Almost £20m in transfer fees, and you'd expect all would have been among the top earners at the club. Is the transfer market where Chansiri has failed most?

£24 million, makes it even worse.

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

For years we dreamt of having money to spend and when we did,  we wasted it. 

A shame but it’s done now,  the next mission is trying to get Chansiri to sell up as he can’t be trusted to run us correctly 

Spot on.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Based on current form you might argue Reach was poor value. But when you look at the 17/18 season (I think that’s the right season?) when we had injury after injury, could be argued that he kept us in the league - along with Nuhiu’s end of season goal rush. Good value imo.

2 hours ago, domSWFC said:

You wonder why Gibson gets the monk on with us so much given we stuffed £15m into his trousers for two reserves.

• Like 1

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, domSWFC said:

So what’s the alternative, extend the contract of them? No thanks

1 hour ago, Minton said:

I'm fairly certain that no player has been involved with more goals (either scoring or assisting) than Reach whilst he's been here. £5m is a bargain when you look at comparable transfer fees around the same time.

Yeah that was my point

He's been super disappointing this year but tbh over the course of his contract 40 games a season he's been decent value.

Guest LondonOwl313
27 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Yeah that was my point

He's been super disappointing this year but tbh over the course of his contract 40 games a season he's been decent value.

I think £5m is steep for him given what he’s done here. If we’d paid £2-3m and then he was leaving on a free I can see your logic but £5m is loads. Other teams signed better players for less around that time.

He’s not been our worst signing by a long shot but he can’t be described as good value.

Guest domSWFC
29 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Yeah that was my point

I think it depends how you look at it. 40 games a season seems good value for the purchase. But when you think you are also losing that player for free, seems a waste. 

Other than Jack Hunt, I don't think we've sold any first team player. Joao seemed like we got a decent fee for at the time, but if we'd given him a better chance, we'd be selling him for more than double. 

All of our important players leave on frees, either due to us signing them at latter stages of their career, or we give them inflated wages that we can't continue to pay.