BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday under ANOTHER transfer embargo

• Ten Championship clubs have been placed under a transfer embargo 
  • Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City are three of the teams in question 
  • Some clubs are believed to be taking the penalty early ahead of the summer
  • An unnamed official warned that the pandemic will impact sales of players 

The clubs in question were Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Cardiff City, Coventry City, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Luton Town, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City.

All of those clubs on the list were approached for comment. No responses were forthcoming.

Of those, it is understood that Huddersfield have now come off the list, while Stoke are expected soon to follow suit, with both clubs being hit with the penalty thanks to administrative — rather than financial — issues.

However, the shocking size of the group has illustrated the strain clubs are under, thanks in some cases to overspending.

On Tuesday Coventry issued a statement confirming the transfer embargo, while explaining they had take a Government option to file company accounts with a three month delay.

The transfer window does not reopen until the summer. Some believe clubs are taking the penalty now hoping that they will be in a position to trade their way out of embargo when it reopens.

‘In the January window, with a couple of exceptions, it was mainly loans. While top players may move, Championship clubs will do well to get decent money for the players they’re already looking at selling.’

Can’t see it posted anywhere so apologies if I’ve missed that but it looks like we are under another embargo.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9438517/amp/Championship-facing-financial-armageddon-TEN-clubs-placed-transfer-embargo-month.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Guest Hornsby
6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Can’t see it posted anywhere so apologies if I’ve missed that but it looks like we are under another embargo.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9438517/amp/Championship-facing-financial-armageddon-TEN-clubs-placed-transfer-embargo-month.html?__twitter_impression=true

Either our local press didnt know so club mugged em again or they did and ignored it.

And Biggs is Mails local footy stringer so latter seems most likely.

Given there are 10 clubs in there and we just posted a profit in our accounts this seems more a Covid -19 or delayed accounts issue? If it’s the former I think the EFL approach is quite heavy handed.

At this rate we might have more leeway to rebuild if we do down as I don’t think this would apply.

• Like 1

Who cares whether we’re under an embargo now, as long as it’s lifted before the window reopens. We weren’t going to be spending money anyway, so with plenty of big earners going, there will be funds to replace them with frees and loanees. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Given there are 10 clubs in there and we just posted a profit in our accounts this seems more a Covid -19 or delayed accounts issue? If it’s the former I think the EFL approach is quite heavy handed.

At this rate we might have more leeway to rebuild if we do down as I don’t think this would apply.

Does it not apply if we're in L1?

Knowing our feckinluck we'll end up stopping up on GD or something.

lol

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Who cares whether we’re under an embargo now, as long as it’s lifted before the window reopens. We weren’t going to be spending money anyway, so with plenty of big earners going, there will be funds to replace them with frees and loanees. 

The more concerning thing for me is this is yet another embargo under the current owner. I reckon this’ll be the third or fourth time this has happened.

Going forward with a squad rebuild needed in the summer, this is very worrying as the club appears to be continually financially mismanaged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

The more concerning thing for me is this is yet another embargo under the current owner. I reckon this’ll be the third or fourth time this has happened.

Going forward with a squad rebuild needed in the summer, this is very worrying as the club appears to be continually financially mismanaged.

All those things are true Trev, but I don’t think we’d have been spending anything anyway. If we couldn’t find the money for a left back and a striker, that may have saved the club an estimated 8m, in the January window, we were never going to be spending in league one With only about a dozen players contracted for next season, they will have to allow us to sign frees, and bring in loanees. Seriously, I don’t think it would be anything other than that anyway