Teams You Desperately Wanted To Win One Off Games

Typically root for the underdog, and when it looks like they’ve got a chance then I get more invested in them: remember being gutted that Gillingham lost that play off final v City.

Was delighted Charlton beat Sunderland in that penalty shoot out too - although that was more as I knew Wednesday would have a better chance of finishing above Charlton than Sunderland the following season.

7 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

One one team here Uddersfield . lol

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47637bee4b14b5bef150

That was a great day. Me and my Dad went to watch the rugby final on the same day so travelling back up at the same time were the United fans and I had some Wednesday emblem I could wave to the coaches. Last thing they needed that day was a random Wednesday fan mocking them that they didn't expect to see lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That was a great day. Me and my Dad went to watch the rugby final on the same day so travelling back up at the same time were the United fans and I had some Wednesday emblem I could wave to the coaches. Last thing they needed that day was a random Wednesday fan mocking them that they didn't expect to see lol

Nine years on, and the ball's still in orbit. lollol

• Haha 1

City v QPR...

I know they were/are Moneybags fc and what have you, but I've never had a problem with City and a good mate of mine has been supporting them since the days of Jamie Pollock.

So I was really wanting them to pip Man U for the title, who had spent pretty much most of my childhood and early adult life winning everything.

This was also the season we'd just pipped Dem Blades to promotion so there was almost a parallel with two clubs from the same city scrapping it out.

Needless to say, I went a bit nuts when Agueroooo scored. Never seen anything like that.

• Like 1

South Korea beating Germany in the last world cup was pretty special................i was willing those late goals in.

And , ironically , Germany dismantling Brazil on their own patch after all that nonsense before the game with Luiz and Neymars shirt  :biggrin:

Edited by sheriwozgod
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Typically root for the underdog, and when it looks like they’ve got a chance then I get more invested in them: remember being gutted that Gillingham lost that play off final v City.

Was delighted Charlton beat Sunderland in that penalty shoot out too - although that was more as I knew Wednesday would have a better chance of finishing above Charlton than Sunderland the following season.

I'm usually the same, 

But I like man City and always have, I remember wanting them to win, partly due to Weaver, and funny how we have turned into the basket case of the 2 of us since then. 

Other ones I recall are wanting spuds to beat Liverpool in the CL final and atheltico to beat Real in their final a few years back now. 

• Like 1

Wanted Dortmund to beat Bayern in the Champs League final too in 2013.

Think us Brits always tend to gravitate towards the *underdog* unless it's a team you just don't like for whatever reason.

Weirdly, I always wanted Arsenal to beat Man U back in the day when they were the two vying for the league. Think it was because Man U were still the top dogs despite how good Arsensl were. 

Loved those games though. Don't think anything comes close to them these days. It's all a bit too nice with no edge.

City qpr, Liverpool AC and pretty much every Leicester game when it became clear they could win the league, spring to mind. I'm sure I've missed a few.

The Ajax final as a child, is the one that really stands out for me when they had that amazing set of young players.

Remember David Pleat saying how he wanted to sign David's and believed it would happen as I was that young.

On 02/04/2021 at 09:30, Ever the pessimist said:

I agree with both games. City were very fortunate (they've been more fortunate since!).   Someone else mentioned Ghana v Uruguay. I knew the security man (Ghanaian )  at Hillsborough Exchange at the time, and was gutted for him.Ghana were absolutely robbed. In those instances the goal should be awarded. Suarez just acted as a goalkeeper saving the ball in clear sight which saved Uruguay.  Cheating of the worst possible kind.

Once Germany started scoring v Brazil in the semi final I wanted them to keep on scoring just to see the close ups of Brazilians faces in the crowd. They just couldn't believe it.  One of the most remarkable games ever.

12 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I agree with both games. City were very fortunate (they've been more fortunate since!).   Someone else mentioned Ghana v Uruguay. I knew the security man (Ghanaian )  at Hillsborough Exchange at the time, and was gutted for him.Ghana were absolutely robbed. In those instances the goal should be awarded. Suarez just acted as a goalkeeper saving the ball in clear sight which saved Uruguay.  Cheating of the worst possible kind.

Once Germany started scoring v Brazil in the semi final I wanted them to keep on scoring just to see the close ups of Brazilians faces in the crowd. They just couldn't believe it.  One of the most remarkable games ever.

The Ghana attack was offside anyway, Suarez was harshly treated

my first world Cup memory was the Brazil v Italy pens in 94.

I LOVED Baggio. Gutted when he missed his pen. 

It was up there with England getting knocked out in 98 and the euro 2004? Game when Zidane scored twice in Injury time to beat us