Garry Monk “there were a lot of things wrong at SWFC”

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The 7 previous years are totally irrelevant though as they were pre investment in the squad.

We had 3 top half finishes in 4 years when Monk came in. The main reason we didn’t finish higher than 12th in 2018/19 is because Jos had us in 18th halfway through. Bruce’s form was 5th best over the second half of the season so it was proven that we could do it 

12th isn’t top half so it’s 2 top half finishes in 4 years previous. You can talk about form all you want but form is temporary every team in the division will have periods of good form throughout the season that is why you’re judged over a season and not just a few weeks.
Our form for the first few weeks of Thompson being in charge was good but it doesn’t mean we are a good team, our form was good enough to see us to 3rd but it doesn’t mean we are a good team.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, 83owl said:

12th isn’t top half so it’s 2 top half finishes in 4 years previous. You can talk about form all you want but form is temporary every team in the division will have periods of good form throughout the season that is why you’re judged over a season and not just a few weeks.
Our form for the first few weeks of Thompson being in charge was good but it doesn’t mean we are a good team, our form was good enough to see us to 3rd but it doesn’t mean we are a good team.

So is 12th bottom half then? Last time I looked at the table there were 24 teams and 12th was on the top half page unless they’ve moved it lol.

it’s a bit different comparing a team over 5-10 games than over half a season. Given we had Jos dragging us down for half of both the 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons it’s hard to judge a full season and the half a season under Bruce is all we have to go on when it comes to judging what the potential was

I dislike monk, the dreary football, the constantly baffling decisions both tactically and transfer wise and the way he always would talk the talk but never walk the walk.

But the fact is we have had ONE great season and ONE good season recently and then progressively got worse, and always we blame the managers.

Carlos Playoffs twice then the team gassed "Oh he wasnt keeping them fit he lost the plot"

Jos "Oh he was too negative and didnt have a clue tactically"

Bruce, bailed after a few weeks to manage his boyhood club in the division above us probably on better pay too.

Monk "Too negative, bad in the transfer market etc"

Pulis "just here for the money, a wide boy on the blag"

Thompson "Not experienced or smart enough" 

And all ready people have the knives out for Moore.

Truth is both managerially and Above this club has been mismanaged for decades, The ONLY time we were going in the right direction was under Mandaric, and for the first couple of years when everyone loved Chansiri when he was spunking money down the drain on us, and people cheered him off the bus.

Look, we are fizzed, we know this, it will end up with a buy out, or administration, or his family will get pissed off at the wasted money and put people in charge them selves.  In the mean time, theres no point getting all partisan over this.  The worst part about being a Wednesday fan is our continued decline can not just be attributed to one person, its a succession of people who either through neglect, incompetence or just well intentioned ignorance have spent most of the last 30 years shafting us one way or another, with about 5 seasons where we had "joy" as fans.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, leftpeg said:

I dislike monk, the dreary football, the constantly baffling decisions both tactically and transfer wise and the way he always would talk the talk but never walk the walk.

But the fact is we have had ONE great season and ONE good season recently and then progressively got worse, and always we blame the managers.

Carlos Playoffs twice then the team gassed "Oh he wasnt keeping them fit he lost the plot"

Bruce, bailed after a few weeks to manage his boyhood club in the division above us probably on better pay too.

Truth is both managerially and Above this club has been mismanaged for decades, The ONLY time we were going in the right direction was under Mandaric, and for the first couple of years when everyone loved Chansiri when he was spunking money down the drain on us, and people cheered him off the bus.

Look, we are fizzed, we know this, it will end up with a buy out, or administration, or his family will get pissed off at the wasted money and put people in charge them selves.  In the mean time, theres no point getting all partisan over this.  The worst part about being a Wednesday fan is our continued decline can not just be attributed to one person, its a succession of people who either through neglect, incompetence or just well intentioned ignorance have spent most of the last 30 years shafting us one way or another, with about 5 seasons where we had "joy" as fans.

NAIL 
HEAD

WELL AND TRULY HIT

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Very good post this mate.

Firm believer that most managers (like in ANY organisation) need a good and healthy environment to do their job. 

The environment at Wednesday has been shambolic for years and years - with the exception of a few years under Mandaric.

Until the club itself sorts itself out from top to bottom. Puts a proper management structure in place, employs people who have the best interests of the club at heart, sort out the youth and recruitment system, commercial side of things, invest in the stadium, training ground - Christ you name it there’s so many problems. Until someone steps in and runs us properly we will continue to struggle. It’s quite clear Chansiri isn’t the man to do that. 

And the very frustrating thing is - he could do so much to at least begin to get the wheels in motion. But he doesn’t seem interested in doing it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Jos and Monk are the 2 worse appointments since the Premier League was created. After CC, we had solid team that needed new direction but not much more. Jos undid all CCs positive work and should never have been appointed based on his CV. After Bruce we had a solid team that needed continuity. Monk came in and undid all Bruce’s positive and should never have been appointed based on his CV. DC has made every managers job unnecessarily difficult but Jos and Monk were appalling 

• Like 2

So just to be clear,

Garry Monk did not sign any of the drivel that has left us in the bottom three. The same manager that said he was going to leave us with a mobile and dynamic squad.

Carlos main criticism on here is the drivel signed after Wembley.

Forgive my ignorance for those defending Sir Garry, how come Carlos was signing players but he wasn't.....(in many opinions not mine).

Another little tickler I would like answerd for Monk cheerleaders,

Why did he play Forestieri at left wing back away at Luton. Any competent manager at this level does no such thing......

Excited for the excuses for him on that one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Shortened your last post down to the only bit that really matters

That's not fair though is it.

Most people acknowledge that the managers here have to work under difficult circumstances and none of the managers have been the biggest issue.

There are however, clear flaws that some managers like Monk has caused of their own making. Unless you think someone instructed him to say he had been personally tracking Da Cruz, or someone forced him to play Forestieri at wing-back, or someone got into his head and convinced him that Adam Reach would be most effective playing as a central striker behind a front man? 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Most people acknowledge that the managers here have to work under difficult circumstances and none of the managers have been the biggest issue.

There are however, clear flaws that some managers like Monk has caused of their own making. Unless you think someone instructed him to say he had been personally tracking Da Cruz, or someone forced him to play Forestieri at wing-back, or someone got into his head and convinced him that Adam Reach would be most effective playing as a central striker behind a front man? 

Spot on, although I am sure that must be Chansiri fault, I can't see a manager of Sir Garry pedigree playing someone like FF at wing back. Surely not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leftpeg said:

If I could give this 100 trophies and 100 loves I would.

29 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Garry Monk has failed at four different clubs as a Manager. 

That's four failures

How many managers out of the last FIVE have succeeded under Chansiri?

Think Monk just won this one

I thank you

*Mic drop*
*leaves stage to standing ovation*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

31 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Garry Monk has failed at four different clubs as a Manager. He has a history of falling out with players and dropping experienced goalkeepers. It can’t all be Chansiris fault.

He kept Birmingham up in this league with a points deduction.

would have been handy had he been allowed to repeat the trick here.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It doesn't matter who the manager is here

It literally does not matter

It makes no difference

None

It's like everyone realises this, accepts this, but the second a new manager is installed 80% of fans forget and start thinking there will be a hopeful bright future of change and good decision makiing

It really really REALLY doesn't matter who the manager is at Sheffield Wednesday 

Not really

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It doesn't matter who the manager is here

It literally does not matter

It makes no difference

None

It's like everyone realises this, accepts this, but the second a new manager is installed 80% of fans forget and start thinking there will be a hopeful bright future of change and good decision makiing

It really really REALLY doesn't matter who the manager is at Sheffield Wednesday 

Not really

What is the point of any of this then?

What is the point of showing support to the team right now? It is destined to fail and we shouldn't care less if the manager plays the best attacking player in the squad at right-back or the left-footed winger up front or if he thinks Da Cruz is going to be the next star having tracked his progress? 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

What is the point of any of this then?

What is the point of showing support to the team right now? It is destined to fail and we shouldn't care less if the manager plays the best attacking player in the squad at right-back or the left-footed winger up front or if he thinks Da Cruz is going to be the next star having tracked his progress? 

Monk left about 4 or 5 managers back though 

I think the reality is that the club isn't set up to succeed. it just isn't
There are players at the club who will have sorted themselves out with new clubs already via their agents - that's 100% gonna be the case
We have a disfunctional scattergun approach to anything and everything 
Nothing at the club has improved in the last 6 years other than a big telly

I'm not even on a downer about things at the moment - I'm fine - i'm numb to it all

I just can't understand why people suddenly think things are about to change and get better when a new manager is installed when the same issues exist

For me it is irrelevant who is manager, could be Darren Moore, Garry Monk, Carlos again, Alex Ferguson, Paolo DiCanio, Kevin Keegan, Jos Luhukay - it doesn't make an ounce of difference to me anymore because the situation is so messed up

No manager can succeed here - especially this season - because of the sheer volume of monumental issues, and because of the way the club is run.

Even I fall for it though - when a new manager comes I get excited and hopeful

But then I see 14 players are out of contract, I see us lose games, I see poor performances, I see the chairman come out and instead of giving us a plan he calls the fans bad customers

I see the same issues this time next season regarding contracts too if the club doesn't start planning ahead

But like the chairman says - he can't plan ahead because football isn't like any other business 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop