Why do some of us think we can “reset” in League 1?

If we go down its going to be a hard slog to get back.                                                                           No money to buy players.

Nothing in the under 23s coming on.

13 players out of contract.

History in last few years of poor recruitment.

No big Jack to put a stop to the decline. 

• Like 1

The good thing with league 1 is that being skint shouldn't matter half as much as it does in the championship.

Theoretically at least we should have the budget to recruit a competitive team. And at that level the club name should be a big draw to players.

Moore also has experience of putting together a good league 1 squad and knows what's required to do well in that league.

I just really hope that Chansiri let's Moore drive the recruitment and he's not pushed towards signing a load of wasters that Paxo wants us to sign.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 10:06, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

You can't always buy from waitrose and Marks and sparks, there is some decent stuff in Iceland and aldi or lidl

While I don't like Chansiri and my disgust for the man has been made clear many times, don't agree with  the argument that we have no money to spend. 

We've hardly spent anything for years due to FFP, that pressure should be easing and we're also seeing an end of the big legacy contracts from the Carlos era.  

He will assume ticket revenue will rebound and to do that depends on recruitment. Everyone has been cautious due to covid, but not spending is not an option. Chansiri can't afford more than one season in L1, notwithstanding the fact that as we stand wouldn't be able to put out a team.

IMO, the biggest concern is who will be spending the money. Needs to be Moore, not Paxo. 

I'd rather Chansiri sold the club, but if he's hanging around like a bad smell, better dig deep in his pockets, because that's all he's good for and due to the half arsed way he runs the club, will take more money than if we had some structure in place. 

Best signing of the summer remains a new owner. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 10:06, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

I think most think in relation to clearing out the majority of alleged overpaid,under performing players......The relegation is a sideshow to that, and inevitable anyway....in my view.

I do agree though that many imagine we go again and bounce  back to the Championship,as Champions...Indeed i fully expect the Clubs marketing strategy for the new season,to be just that.....STILL  high prices but necessary for a push 'straight back' to the Championship...

The only people who can bring down high prices in my view are the supporters,and its clear from comments on here people are still prepared to keep paying.....

We need to replace most of the team. It would hopefully be easier to do in league one. 

We should still have a bit of clout as regards recruiting players.

Replacing them if we stayed up would be a bit more tricky. 

Hopefully Moore can do a bit of a wilder and bring in younger hungry players and get us some momentum. 

Rather stay up but maybe we could go forward with a backwards step. 

1 hour ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

You can't always buy from waitrose and Marks and sparks, there is some decent stuff in Iceland and aldi or lidl

Absolutely.We do all our shopping at Aldi's and there's some very good bargains to be had.

• Haha 1

If we learned anything from our last stint in League 1, it's that the Billy big b0llocks attitude that we're too big for that league and are simply just visiting while we get our house in order is not the approach to take. There's a reason that league is like a graveyard for badly run clubs of yesteryear trying to turn their fortunes around, e.g. Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton, Hull, Blackpool etc.

My biggest concern is Chanisiri and how he'd react (as always) - you just know our strategy would be to sign as many over-the-hill Championship players as possible (like we did last time we went down) and Moore would have a month or two to impress or he'd be shown the door.  I have absolutely no faith in his ability to manage this football club, if we still have one come May,  and we'll continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. I think he's in for a big shock once fans return to the terraces and can voice their frustrations, maybe then he'll take notice and either seek help or sell up (at a reasonable price).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DlNGLE said:

Although we’ve got the youngest squad in the league, with last year’s relegation battle and the promotion the year before, they’ve got plenty of experience of getting the job done when the pressure is on. Should stand us in good stead. 

As they're demonstrating these days?