Why do some of us think we can “reset” in League 1?

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

We have a L1 GK in net thats why

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

Whether we go down or not we need a reset as so many players are out of contract, which IMO is a good thing.

The problem is that last summer's recruitment was so awful it does not bode well for the future.

Normally I'd say it's nonsense. It's not like getting relegated deems all current contracts null and void. 

In our current situation however most of the squad is our of contract so we can 'reset' but tbh we could do that's without a relegation

Just now, northeastowl said:

I’m Chansiri’s biggest critic however I still think we would walk league 1. It’s a pretty horrendous league and none of the clubs have a penny to spend. 

Even with DCs pathetic recruitment strategy we’d have too much quality. 

I’m sure Sunderland and Ipswich fans said the same.

Guest Andy W

In it's present form, no.

Reset would mean regroup, get rid of the rubbish (ie all) and rebuild.

If we were capable of that, we would have been constantly doing that and we haven't. 

I can see another relegation quite easily

1 minute ago, northeastowl said:

A hell of a lot more than them. 

Remind we what we've spent in the last 3 seasons? 

500k on Patterson, 400k Windass, 800k Luongo, 250k Iorfa, 200k Pelupessey? Something like that. 

Just the other year Sunderland spent £3M on Will Grigg (ironically he turned out to be like Jordan Rhodes). 

Just now, northeastowl said:

A hell of a lot more than them. 

Proof of that?

I’m not being facetious. Genuinely not sure it’s the case. The fact we’ve been struggling to pay players on time, can’t fix the undersoil heating, DC securing a loan against the ground, no money spent in January when it was clear we needed to to stay in the division. I’m genuinely worried about our financial position. 

But then at the same time we’ve just paid compo for an out of work manager.

So it’s very confusing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Remember losing 

1-5 Exeter

0-4 Leyton Orient

3-5 Peterborough

1-4 Peterborough

0-3 Tranmere

2-4 Plymouth

1-3 Plymouth 

As well as some other crackers all in the same season. 

Didn't Stevenage give us a battering too?

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Remind we what we've spent in the last 3 seasons? 

500k on Patterson, 400k Windass, 800k Luongo, 250k Iorfa, 200k Pelupessey? Something like that. 

Just the other year Sunderland spent £3M on Will Grigg (ironically he turned out to be like Jordan Rhodes). 

We’ve not spent over a million on a player in 4 years.

We’re skint.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Proof of that?

I’m not being facetious. Genuinely not sure it’s the case. The fact we’ve been struggling to pay players on time, can’t fix the undersoil heating, DC securing a loan against the ground, no money spent in January when it was clear we needed to to stay in the division. I’m genuinely worried about our financial position. 

But then at the same time we’ve just paid compo for an out of work manager.

So it’s very confusing. 

'Issues with accounts', not paying players on time, constant blaming of Covid to justify this even though 90 other teams all paid players on time. 

Unfortunately, we are heading straight to League 2 For the first time in our History..I seriously think that this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.