Why do some of us think we can “reset” in League 1?

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Said it in another thread. There will be no reset unless Chansiri changes the way he runs things or leaves.

Can’t see either of them happening.

Yup, anyone under contract,  that has any resale value, we should be listening to offers for.

But you can see him still not wanting to sell anyone. Ridiculous 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If we do go down we need to harness the longer term opportunities though. Some Clubs that have gone down have come back with some momentum and a renewed culture of winning rather than doom and gloom. 

That's another really good point. Reset shouldn't just be about recruitment. it should be about re-establishing confidence, a team ethic and a winning mentality. Probably easier to do that in L1 than the Championship.

• Like 2

There needs to be a plan (on and off the pitch) and it won’t be a quick fix, that’s for sure. I can’t see us doing a Hull (who’s owners also have a poor relationship with the fan base) and immediately push for promotion.  We have a manager for that division, but worries me whether the hierarchy will provide him enough resource, but also control.

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would say, definitely Iorfa and Bannan. If we can get them to give us one more season, as long as we are prepared to assemble a squad that can challenge. If not, it’s pretty pointless, we might as well cash in. Of the out of contract players, we may have to consider entrusting some of the younger players, as they will be needed as back up Others like Reach and Lees, I would withdraw the contract offers, as I don’t think they are the players to get us out of league one. They probably won’t fancy it either. Strangely, probably a player like Rhodes or Marriott, would be useful in that division, but again, probably don’t see their next move being league one

Think Iorfa has another year anyway. I can’t see anyone being too bothered about buying him in the summer as he’s just had a serious injury and let’s be honest athleticism forms a huge part of his game as he’s not the smartest defender. We don’t know yet how he’s going to be once he returns so I can’t imagine anybody desperately trying to sign him until they’ve seen how he’s recovered.

7 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That's another really good point. Reset shouldn't just be about recruitment. it should be about re-establishing confidence, a team ethic and a winning mentality. Probably easier to do that in L1 than the Championship.

Wigan haven’t found that this season.

I’d expect the core of the squad next season to be lads like Brennan, Galvin and Hunt.

And it wouldn’t surprise me if we give another year to some that are due to leave like Pelupessy and Hutch.

I think we’ll struggle again 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Think Iorfa has another year anyway. I can’t see anyone being too bothered about buying him in the summer as he’s just had a serious injury and let’s be honest athleticism forms a huge part of his game as he’s not the smartest defender. We don’t know yet how he’s going to be once he returns so I can’t imagine anybody desperately trying to sign him until they’ve seen how he’s recovered.

Good points, and that’s why it’s crucial we tie down Urhoghide, just in case he isn’t the same player on his return

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

You forgot to mention the next points deduction when the mystery accounts appear. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Munchausenboy said:

There needs to be a plan (on and off the pitch) and it won’t be a quick fix, that’s for sure. I can’t see us doing a Hull (who’s owners also have a poor relationship with the fan base) and immediately push for promotion.  We have a manager for that division, but worries me whether the hierarchy will provide him enough resource, but also control.

I always got the impression with Moore that he fits what the club under DC wants. As monk did. He’ll work with a squad, be positive and try and be attacking probably moreso than Monk.

I do think the manager has input into recruitment but there are a few involved. Ideally you’d have a manager highlight a position and then him and recruitment Id a list of targets in order and then the finance is worked out by others. But the parameters of that need to be agreeable. For example you could tell that Pulis wanted a different player to what Monk was willing to accept. I think Moore has shown at Doncaster that he can get younger players on loan and work with them and that seems to be how we wanted to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve thought for a very long time that whatever happens with regards to our league status, we will lose every player who is out of contract.

I think we will also lose some players who are under contract. Bannan, Luongo and Iorfa will definitely be sold and I wouldn’t be surprised if Palmer and Paterson attracted interest.

There is no way we can be competitive straight away when we’re looking at such a turnover of players.

The likelihood next season is another relegation battle regardless of the division we find ourselves in. Thing is I think Chansiri has finally found the right manager. Moore has a burning desire for a variety of reasons to succeed here. He’s surrounded himself with people who have that same desire.

The fact that he’s took this job when he could’ve stayed at Doncaster and more than likely gone up with them says a lot about the man. The fact that he won’t go public with any criticism of the players and emphasises a lot on us all being in it together says a lot about the man.

These comments might well and truly look stupid in 12 months time but I genuinely believe that eventually we’ll have a totally different young, vibrant and competitive team under Darren Moore and we will indeed start that journey back up the league pyramid and reach a place that we’re all happy with.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Bulgaria

If we can keep fit Dom, Luongo, Windass, Paterson and Harris, and retain Osaze,  then I believe we have a chance in league one.

A few wins in league one which is entirely possible will bring some positivity to the club. 

Regardless of the shiitshow behind the scenes, it's amazing what wins can do to the whole atmosphere at Hillsborough. 

Last time we were relegated to L1 (and also in 2003) we finished the first season back down in 15th place. 

When you studt recruitment, particularly in summer 2010, you can see why. Also Megsons promotion team included hardly any of the losers we signed the previous year when we first came down. 

Will we go for youth, pace, strength, up and coming players, exciting players? Will we balance that out with experience and committed players? Or will we sign a load of slow over the hill codgers like Gary Teale, Clinton Morrison, Paul Heffernan, Chris Sedgwick etc. 

How can people expect a 'reset' when the owner of the club has openly lied, about the investment he's put in and the club can't even settle refunds?!

Does that sound like the basis of a club that can be reset to come back stronger?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whowantstoberich said:

A wise man once said, ‘if you have hope, you have everything’!

I lost hope in these embarrassing, wasters ages ago

With chansiri at the helm I think league2 football is a genuine possibility in the next two years or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’ve thought for a very long time that whatever happens with regards to our league status, we will lose every player who is out of contract.

I think we will also lose some players who are under contract. Bannan, Luongo and Iorfa will definitely be sold and I wouldn’t be surprised if Palmer and Paterson attracted interest.

There is no way we can be competitive straight away when we’re looking at such a turnover of players.

The likelihood next season is another relegation battle regardless of the division we find ourselves in. Thing is I think Chansiri has finally found the right manager. Moore has a burning desire for a variety of reasons to succeed here. He’s surrounded himself with people who have that same desire.

The fact that he’s took this job when he could’ve stayed at Doncaster and more than likely gone up with them says a lot about the man. The fact that he won’t go public with any criticism of the players and emphasises a lot on us all being in it together says a lot about the man.

These comments might well and truly look stupid in 12 months time but I genuinely believe that eventually we’ll have a totally different young, vibrant and competitive team under Darren Moore and we will indeed start that journey back up the league pyramid and reach a place that we’re all happy with.

Tho only flaw in your thinking is DC interfering with player recruitment/contracts/refusing to sell players etc etc. 

11 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Tho only flaw in your thinking is DC interfering with player recruitment/contracts/refusing to sell players etc etc. 

He’ll have no choice but to change. We go down to League One, you’ll see a certain advisor ride off into the sunset. Racing certainty.

Guest Hornsby

Will take decent dosh. We re skint.

Otherwise, wud got Zahore, Cosgrove etc.

Iou s dont cut it, even in 3rd Division.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

While I don’t disagree mate, we only need to look at Barnsley. Those ‘inferior’ players have created quite the ‘team’. This is what we need and what I believe Moore can deliver - a team!

But they have completely different set up and are more proactive, rather reactive like we have been. If we continue running the club in the same way, we won't come back like Barnsley did. 

• Like 1