Why do some of us think we can “reset” in League 1?

We have to, it’s the only option. 

It’s a league where with the salary cap removed we can take our pick. Typically players the championship clubs don’t want yet or younger players not ready but needing game time mixed with experience too. Hull City seem to have done that and they looked a mercenary bunch this time last season.

Sunderland struggled but they had some big contracts hanging over them and their former owner didn’t have the money.

If DC was skint as people keep saying the club wouldn’t have survived this season. He will have had to cough up north of 20m id bet. When Milan took us up we were losing 6m a season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

It depends. For example, when we had the big clear out last summer, I suggested at the time, that it would be extremely difficult to rebuild at championship level. Incredibly we’ve fallen into the same trap again this season, with seemingly no lessons learned. Of course, it will still be difficult to rebuild, even at this level, but the third tier will at least be a little bit more forgiving. Even a poor rebuild like last season, won’t necessarily be so catastrophic. That said, if we don’t get it right, we may find ourselves lingering in the lower reaches for a long while. 
However, if we get it right, and can convince our better players under contract players to stay, at least for one season, we might just be competitive Again, I feel this is going to depend on our front line recruitment, there is no way our under contract strikers are suddenly going to start scoring, just because we’ve dropped a level. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

It depends. For example, when we had the big clear out last summer, I suggested at the time, that it would be extremely difficult to rebuild at championship level. Incredibly we’ve fallen into the same trap again this season, with seemingly no lessons learned. Of course, it will still be difficult to rebuild, even at this level, but the third tier will at least be a little bit more forgiving. Even a poor rebuild like last season, won’t necessarily be so catastrophic. That said, if we don’t get it right, we may find ourselves lingering in the lower reaches for a long while. 
However, if we get it right, and can convince our better players under contract players to stay, at least for one season, we might just be competitive Again, I feel this is going to depend on our front line recruitment, there is no way our under contract strikers are suddenly going to start scoring, just because we’ve dropped a level. 

Who would you say are our better under contract players you would want to stay? I genuinely can’t think of any that I would be bothered about leaving given their wages-effectiveness

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

This is a good post. As I said n my OP, I don’t think relegation enables us to reset but, as Siggi points out, it’s better to reset in the Championship than League 1. 

Of course it is. But these reset in league one comments are based on the club going down not because anyone actively wants us to or thinks that is preferable surely?

If we do go down we need to harness the longer term opportunities though. Some Clubs that have gone down have come back with some momentum and a renewed culture of winning rather than doom and gloom. 

• Like 1

Just now, 83owl said:

Who would you say are our better under contract players you would want to stay? I genuinely can’t think of any that I would be bothered about leaving given their wages-effectiveness

I would say, definitely Iorfa and Bannan. If we can get them to give us one more season, as long as we are prepared to assemble a squad that can challenge. If not, it’s pretty pointless, we might as well cash in. Of the out of contract players, we may have to consider entrusting some of the younger players, as they will be needed as back up Others like Reach and Lees, I would withdraw the contract offers, as I don’t think they are the players to get us out of league one. They probably won’t fancy it either. Strangely, probably a player like Rhodes or Marriott, would be useful in that division, but again, probably don’t see their next move being league one

There won't be a reset at this club until managers are free to sign their own players, the players get paid on time, and people who have a proven track record of running a football club badly cease to be involved in the running of the club. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I don't think we are even close to bottoming out. This is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better 

29 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agreed. Hold tight

Misery needs company

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Some of my mates have trotted out the line “If we get relegated, at least we can reset” - that’s a comment that we’ve all heard said on here recently and frequently in the past.

Can we really “reset”’? I’m not sure we can. What would enabled us to? What would become the catalyst for change?

All I can envisage is fewer fans attending, less money and players with lesser ability because we have no money to buy good players. 

Because it has happened to so many clubs like us. Man City before money, Leicester recently, Leeds, Pigs, Saints....

While the points you make are true, division 3 is less relentless than the Champ and we are unquestionably the biggest team in it. Therefore, we will attract the best league one players, but we will also become attractive to young players who will get more game time, either as an Owls player or Prem loany. A relegation challenged Champ club isn’t enticing for anyone.

It makes it all the more saddening, if Shaw leaves. He would really have come of age with a full season of first XI football under his belt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Ok. Change the word “buy” to “recruit” and read again. 

Doubt we will be buy anybody we should be maybe the biggest draw in LGE 1 for any out of contract players we need a large squad of players who will not get out worked and outfought unlike the current bunch 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

After reading up on FFP rules, being relegated means on promotion back to championship, we have another 3 seasons to go for it. 

Now this assumes 1, that we can get back up and 2, Chansiri still has funds to pay for another crazy 'go for bust' approach.

Other than this slight silver lining, I'm not sure.

• Haha 1

It’s a very good point. Think people maybe assume because the last 2 times we was in this division it only took 2 seasons to get back up and we came up with better sides than we went down with. 

However our ownership doesn’t allow us to be pragmatic and proactive. You only have to look at Sunderland, Ipswich and you can even go back to Sheffield United who spent 6 years in the division. Being a big club with off the field issues doesn’t guarantee success in L1. I worry it’s going to get worse before it gets better. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

Depends. 

I think we should have a season in league one where promotion is not our main priority. Recruit some young players, and get some experienced players on loan. I think this is a more considered approach, and it will allow a new squad to properly gel. The following season aim for the top six. It will allow us to analyse what we actually need, rather than spaffing money to try and get out of league one at the first attempt. Then we may have some asserts that could be worth a bit of money. A properly gelled squad will have quite a bit of momentum in the championship and should be capable of finishing midtable. 

Totally agree, except I think we should be planning for a few seasons in League 1.

Some of us saw this coming a long time ago. The recruitment screw-up engineered by DC and his advisors was always going to take several seasons to unwind, and we're finally close to  reaching that point. Admittedly I had no idea just how bad the consequences would be or the extent to which DC would compound his errors, but we are close to the point where we can press the reset button. Whether we do so successfully remains to be seen.

The biggest risk as I see it is that we're in something of a downward spiral, and once you're in that position it's not easy to break out of it. It can be done, but it will need patience and shrewd recruitment. So our priority next season should be to stop the rot, break out of our freefall, and aim for stability. We absolutely need to avoid the mistakes of Chansiri's first couple of years where we bunged money at a bloated squad of underachievers and players with little resale value. Darren Moore should be allowed to pick a favoured system and we should recruit players who suit that system. And DM needs to be part of that process - he really needs to insist on having the final say.

I would like to see a few of the more seasoned members of the current squad stay, if - and only if - they're up for the fight. And I'd like to see some of the youngsters become regulars. Thereafter, be shrewd. Go after some of the better players in L1 and L2. Look for rough diamonds and lower league players who have the right attitude and are ambitious to play at a higher level. Hopefully within a couple of seasons we will have a squad that is competitive in L1 and can be progressively and incrementally improved. I think once we've turned the ship around and are heading in the right direction again, it'll become easier to recruit a better calibre of player.

I'm now resigned to relegation, but in a way I feel better for that acceptance. I no longer get upset at dropping points or let throwing away a winnable game spoil my whole weekend. This season is a write off, but next season is a whole new adventure and I'm actually quite looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Guest hirstysfags
1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It worked last time but mm was a lot more sensible and pragmatic.

MM knew what a football was.

Ideally we’d get a full reset including ownership or some changes in structure but that seems unlikely. It’s not unlikely that we will follow what we were doing last summer in terms of bringing some players up from u23 and looking to take players like FDB or some of the ones in January. Put it this way whilst DC might have history for trying to keep players and renewing contracts, most won’t want to. So we have to bring new ones in, albeit with the potential to get better.

57 minutes ago, Siggi's Jonnson said:

We can reset whatever league that we are in next season, with the amount of players out of contract. But in league 1 we will reset with inferior players to the ones that are in the championship. 

While I don’t disagree mate, we only need to look at Barnsley. Those ‘inferior’ players have created quite the ‘team’. This is what we need and what I believe Moore can deliver - a team!

3 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Doubt we will be buy anybody we should be maybe the biggest draw in LGE 1 for any out of contract players we need a large squad of players who will not get out worked and outfought unlike the current bunch 

that’s one of the thing that annoys me so much about this current crop of wasters. Doesn’t matter how good a player you are, Work rate, giving everything costs nothing, that should be a given yet so many of our players don’t do that.