Kevin Pressman - Testimonial + Danny Wilson

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He was a good English keeper but its the old argument that he was playing for non fashionable team. Keeping him out was obviously Woods, Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Walker & James. Seaman was always the number 1 but I didn't think the others were that much better other than they were playing for bigger or more successful clubs.

I wish we had those options now

When people post stuff like 'he's been found out' when talking about players or managers I'd like to offer my example of this 

If we've ever had a player 'found out' it was Kevin Pressman

Striker gets ball and heads towards goal
Pressman gets ready

Striker knows it's Kevin Pressman in goal
Striker shoots - low on the ground - to either side of Pressman
GOAL

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Pressman gets ready

GOAL

I bet players loved scoring against him. He’d make their goals look so good lol 

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

When people post stuff like 'he's been found out' when talking about players or managers I'd like to offer my example of this 

Pressman gets ready

GOAL

I think his reaction times went a bit towards the end of his time with us.

However, in his prime, he made some amazing saves, and took a decent penalty too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Pressman gets ready

GOAL

That's ridiculous and an easy and tired assumption to make that cos he was bigger than that he couldn't make those kind of saves. We'd have probably got relegated earlier if it wasn't for King Kev. He got us so many points and was agile even for his larger frame!

Great listen on the pod too cheers 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Pressman gets ready

GOAL

It's good the pigs never caught on then.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tjchitt86 said:

That's ridiculous and an easy and tired assumption to make that cos he was bigger than that he couldn't make those kind of saves. We'd have probably got relegated earlier if it wasn't for King Kev. He got us so many points and was agile even for his larger frame! 

It's an overview having watched most/nearly all of his games for Sheffield Wednesday

Anything above waist height he was amazing at - a truly exceptional shot stopper

Anything below knee height to either side of him - GOAL

it's not an attack - it's an accurate view and NOTHING to do with his size or weight (not sure why you even brought that into it?)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I seem to remember watching Kevin Pressman play for England in a B international against Northern Ireland I think Worthington may have played for the Irish too.

Pressman was unlucky there we so many good keepers around when he played. We were so strong in that department. 

14 hours ago, FightLikeAGirl said:

He's lucky Pressman was too weirded out to do anything. He'd have snapped Wilson like a twig.

You think?

I’m not sure you’d want to have much money on Pressman even with the size / weight advantage?

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's an overview having watched most/nearly all of his games for Sheffield Wednesday

Anything above waist height he was amazing at - a truly exceptional shot stopper

Anything below knee height to either side of him - GOAL

it's not an attack - it's an accurate view and NOTHING to do with his size or weight (not sure why you even brought that into it?)

An accurate view in your opinion. I disagree. I brought his size into it because I'd say that despite his larger frame he went against the common view that big fellas can't get down to shots.

Surely 'anything below knee height to either side of the him' would be a goal against most keepers regardless of the standard of keeper!? 90%?

Also here's a link of shot below waist height.... SAVE BELOW WAIST HEIGHT😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Wall said:

I think his reaction times went a bit towards the end of his time with us.

However, in his prime, he made some amazing saves, and took a decent penalty too

Yeah gunna say I remember his penalty against Watford to send us through in the FA Cup around 97/98 season I think it was.

Loved Big Kev, a great servant to the club, how I wish he got the testimonial he much deserved.

15 hours ago, FightLikeAGirl said:

Good job, lads. As you can guess from my userpic, Pressman is my favourite player. I really enjoyed it and the Danny Wilson bit at the end made me laugh. He's lucky Pressman was too weirded out to do anything. He'd have snapped Wilson like a twig.

You sounded a bit nervous, and I'm not surprised, if I'd had to interview Pressman I'd have been bricking it. And giggling a lot. He did come across very well though. Hope you can get him on again cos I bet he's got loads of stories - he must have seen a lot over the years, and I think he said as much. I liked the mental image of him singing along to Chris Rea in the shower with his goalie kit on. I hope you can get him on again. And Hirst! I bet he'd be a good one.

Thanks for that. Definitely getting him back on, probably in the off-season I reckon. Sounds like he has 'plenty' of stories to tell. Like he said, he'd been there a long time. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Hes was a very good keeper in our Premier League days.

Off top of my head I cant think of any mistakes, I am sure they were some but he never let us down in the big games (i.e Chris Woods).

Saved his most outstanding games v Sheffield United.

But it was time for him to leave in 2004, seemed to have put on weight by then and wasn't agile enough.

Also seen people post he should have got a testimonial, sorry have to disagree. Doesn't sit right to me that a a very well paid sportsmen should ask the public to dip into their pockets to give them a financial bonus when they are already comfortable. 

I thought Pressman would have self-funded it, or the club. Did fans ever fund testimonials?

Just now, FightLikeAGirl said:

Pressman could have just sat on him.

On the subject of goalkeepers, I wonder if anyone's ever tried to fight Westy.

'Westy' would get an absolute HAMMERING if he even looked at Steven Bywater the wrong way 

Bywater would rip him to shreds

With one arm behind  his back

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, tjchitt86 said:

An accurate view in your opinion. I disagree. I brought his size into it because I'd say that despite his larger frame he went against the common view that big fellas can't get down to shots.

Surely 'anything below knee height to either side of the him' would be a goal against most keepers regardless of the standard of keeper!? 90%? 

I must have just been imagining how easy it was to score against him if you just passed the ball down either side of him

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not listened yet but was Kevin Pressman dropped from League Cup Final? I remember Chris Turner was regular keeper from Christmas onwards that season and played both legs of Semi final.

Per the podcast, Ron pulled him aside at the hotel and told him your attitude is poor and I’m teaching you a lesson. You won’t be involved today.

Pressman says it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He changed his attitude and in time won back his role as #1.

• Like 2

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

I think the criticism of Pressman having a weak spot of low shots either side is not an unfair one.

I dont think it was terrible during the Premier League days but certainly became a problem after we went down and he put on a bit of weight.

Yep

I won't be told it wasn't a thing

It absolutely was

It was something everyone around me on the kop would talk about, point out, predict and say 'see - told you so' every time it happened

It happened a lot

We talked about it on here too back in the earliest days of Owlstalk

It totally WAS a thing

Owlstalk Shop