Kevin Pressman - Testimonial + Danny Wilson

Some of you may have already listened but we sat down (virtually) with the legend that is Kevin Pressman to talk about his time at Sheffield Wednesday. What a humble guy he is. Absolute childhood hero of mine. 

He spoke about the how close he was to getting an England cap, his testimonial that never was and also what happened when Danny Wilson dropped him. 

Have a listen. https://pod.fo/e/bb093

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

Good job, lads. As you can guess from my userpic, Pressman is my favourite player. I really enjoyed it and the Danny Wilson bit at the end made me laugh. He's lucky Pressman was too weirded out to do anything. He'd have snapped Wilson like a twig.

You sounded a bit nervous, and I'm not surprised, if I'd had to interview Pressman I'd have been bricking it. And giggling a lot. He did come across very well though. Hope you can get him on again cos I bet he's got loads of stories - he must have seen a lot over the years, and I think he said as much. I liked the mental image of him singing along to Chris Rea in the shower with his goalie kit on. I hope you can get him on again. And Hirst! I bet he'd be a good one.

• Love 1

Never knew the story of Pressman being dropped for the LC final in ‘91.

There’s a message there for all of us about coping with and growing from disappointment.

• Thanks 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

3 hours ago, Neal M said:

Never knew the story of Pressman being dropped for the LC final in ‘91.

There’s a message there for all of us about coping with and growing from disappointment.

Not listened yet but was Kevin Pressman dropped from League Cup Final? I remember Chris Turner was regular keeper from Christmas onwards that season and played both legs of Semi final.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not listened yet but was Kevin Pressman dropped from League Cup Final? I remember Chris Turner was regular keeper from Christmas onwards that season and played both legs of Semi final.

Pressman's form started to dip around Christmas time which was due to an injury he was carrying and wasn't made public. Turner took the gloves for the rest of the season and the rest is history. It was a waste of money to bring in Woods when we had a decent keeper in Pressman once we were promoted back to the old Division 1. Subsequent seasons showed that Pressman was still a quality keeper.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Noleafclover said:

Always one of my favourite players. Should still be part of the club imo and made Gk coach no offence to Weaver. How he didn't get a testimonial shows how badly run the club was run at that time also. Also don't get started with Wilson..... 😒

He still attends games I believe in the capacity as a fan.  He's certainly sat behind me a few times on the North.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

He still attends games I believe in the capacity as a fan.  He's certainly sat behind me a few times on the North.

He does, yeah, I follow him on Twitter and he's posted photos from the odd game he's been to. Does he sit in the executive boxes? I think I might have sat behind him at Old Trafford once. Either that or he has a Mancunian twin.

Bassetts Allsorts, that's amazing. Pressman's tweeted a couple of times about how shorter keepers are underrated. You don't have to be a giant like Costel Pantilimon to be a good keeper.

Edited by FightLikeAGirl

28 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How good actually was Pressman? I just have child memories of him

Hes was a very good keeper in our Premier League days.

Off top of my head I cant think of any mistakes, I am sure they were some but he never let us down in the big games (i.e Chris Woods).

Saved his most outstanding games v Sheffield United.

But it was time for him to leave in 2004, seemed to have put on weight by then and wasn't agile enough.

Also seen people post he should have got a testimonial, sorry have to disagree. Doesn't sit right to me that a a very well paid sportsmen should ask the public to dip into their pockets to give them a financial bonus when they are already comfortable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How good actually was Pressman? I just have child memories of him

Probably the best way to describe his ability was you heart wasn't in your mouth when the opposition came anywhere near our box. I remember once when he came in for an injured Woods and came out to collect a high ball into the box in text book fashion. Due to the weakness of Woods on crosses the crowd acknowledged this with a loud supportive cheer. They weren't mugs and knew that Pressman was deserving of his place in the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Off top of my head I cant think of any mistakes, I am sure they were some but he never let us down in the big games (i.e Chris Woods).

But it was time for him to leave in 2004, seemed to have put on weight by then and wasn't agile enough.

Also seen people post he should have got a testimonial, sorry have to disagree. Doesn't sit right to me that a a very well paid sportsmen should ask the public to dip into their pockets to give them a financial bonus when they are already comfortable. 

I think there is more to it than the financial aspect as it allows fans to show their appreciation to a solid player who played many games over many seasons and never let his team down as well as being a great crowd favourite. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Probably the best way to describe his ability was you heart wasn't in your mouth when the opposition came anywhere near our box. I remember once when he came in for an injured Woods and came out to collect a high ball into the box in text book fashion. Due to the weakness of Woods on crosses the crowd acknowledged this with a loud supportive cheer. They weren't mugs and knew that Pressman was deserving of his place in the team.

My impression was that he was a good keeper but several better English choices at the time, is that true?

• Like 1

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

My impression was that he was a good keeper but several better English choices at the time, is that true?

He was a good English keeper but its the old argument that he was playing for non fashionable team. Keeping him out was obviously Woods, Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Walker & James. Seaman was always the number 1 but I didn't think the others were that much better other than they were playing for bigger or more successful clubs.

• Like 3