Who will be any good in league 1 from current squad?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Kudos to him then for doing that. I wouldn’t totally rule out him staying though, although I agree, he won’t be short of offers

I could be completely wrong. I just can't see him not having loads of offers and he's signed the contract when we really are in the middle of a horrific run and when we had no permanent manager.

Surely, Bristol, Brentford those types of clubs would love him.

If we can shift on one of Dawson and Wildsmith, (or both), and have Westwood on a reduced deal for 1 year, great. Or replace with younger/better, great.

If we might not be able to shift one of Dawson or Wildsmith, then Westwood has to be released. We cannot start next season with this 3 GK scenario. I worry Dawsons long term contract means he's going nowhere.

Re. the rest, Tom Lees simply comes down to wages IMO and i'd have no idea what that would look like so cant comment. He'd be very good for that level. 

Iorfa, surely we have to look at cashing in, if not he's going to go for free the summer after.

Bannan, if were in L1, see what offers come in if any and go from there. He's too good for L1, probably best for both if he went in that scenario. 

Reach I'd release. Needs a fresh start. 

Hutchison, again depends on wages and where he would play. CB then I'd like a 1 year extension, DM and I'd rather we started somewhere else. 

We're going to have to keep some players because going into a season needing 15 players or more would be disastrous. 

25 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

If we can shift on one of Dawson and Wildsmith, (or both), and have Westwood on a reduced deal for 1 year, great. Or replace with younger/better, great.

If we might not be able to shift one of Dawson or Wildsmith, then Westwood has to be released. We cannot start next season with this 3 GK scenario. I worry Dawsons long term contract means he's going nowhere.

Re. the rest, Tom Lees simply comes down to wages IMO and i'd have no idea what that would look like so cant comment. He'd be very good for that level. 

Iorfa, surely we have to look at cashing in, if not he's going to go for free the summer after.

Bannan, if were in L1, see what offers come in if any and go from there. He's too good for L1, probably best for both if he went in that scenario. 

Reach I'd release. Needs a fresh start. 

Hutchison, again depends on wages and where he would play. CB then I'd like a 1 year extension, DM and I'd rather we started somewhere else. 

We're going to have to keep some players because going into a season needing 15 players or more would be disastrous. 

I think we need to keep Barry Bobbar if we want a speedy return.

If we're going to prioritize youth, then we need some older heads in there too.

I remember a few seasons ago Barnsley fielding a team entirely of young players, and they looked like going down.

Then they added a couple of old heads, and results improved dramatically and they went up.

Guest Andy W
13 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

I conceeded ages ago we are down. This squad is utter garbage with no pride or professionalism.

Do we have any players that may be good in L1?

I dont they are even that standard..most are dog and duck pub team

Dawson might benefit from a spell at the top end of that league.

Dunkley, Iorfa both better than that level. Palmer would be ok.

Bannan and Hutchinson 

Windass and Paterson too. 

Of the above I think Iorfa will need to prove fitness but would be sold once he does. Paterson might have some interest too and will want to play at this level as he has his Scotland aspirations. Hard to tell with Bannan, there’d be interest in him but strangely I could see him staying.

On paper we have a team that looks ok but as we’ve seen in the past if the team  isn’t on it each week in L1 and ready to do the dirty work they will get turned over. So anyone who doesn’t fancy it should be moved on. Bring in players who see this as a platform for them not a negative.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Wow. So you’d keep

Dunkley ( injures)

iorfa( injured)

urgohide ( agree)

penney ( awful)

shaw( signed for Celtic and more reds than hutch)

FDB ( never plays)

Windass agree

of your indifferent ones five out of the six have failed to hold down a place and the other only plays because we haven’t got a striker. 
All of those players will struggle to get clubs in the championship. Yet you would get rid of Westwood Reach Lees and Hutch who will all sign for teams higher up the league than us.?

Yes! I’d play 433 and I’d be looking at how do we form a strong, combative, all round team with salaries that are less than 10k per week. 

That rules out Bannan (would get bullied, too expensive) Reach (too expensive), Hutch (no better than Joey since returning, too expensive, old), Lees (too expensive). 

I think any two out of Urhoghide, Iorfa, Dunkley as a back two offer power pace and height. 

I think a midfield with FDB and Shaw (his pre contract becomes null if he extends) with AN Other (maybe Joey) offers pace, all round attributes that we’ve missed for 5/6 years. 

I think Penney will get better and offers creativity from the left. I think Palmer is an inexpensive solid RB with bags of experience. 

I think Green and Windass either side of a new striker give us pace and endeavour. 

That’s a nucleus of a decent squad for League One IMO. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

I'd like to see Dele-Bashiru given a run in the league below.

If we kept hold of Shaw, Penney and Urhoghide and played them week in week out with FDB I think all 4 would excel and improve immensely. Our trouble is we seem obsessed with players declining in talent rather than those with potential to get better. 

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I think we need to keep Barry Bobbar if we want a speedy return.

If we're going to prioritize youth, then we need some older heads in there too.

I remember a few seasons ago Barnsley fielding a team entirely of young players, and they looked like going down.

Then they added a couple of old heads, and results improved dramatically and they went up.

I do agree with you r.e. needing a blend of experience and youth. 

30 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Yes! I’d play 433 and I’d be looking at how do we form a strong, combative, all round team with salaries that are less than 10k per week. 

That rules out Bannan (would get bullied, too expensive) Reach (too expensive), Hutch (no better than Joey since returning, too expensive, old), Lees (too expensive). 

I think any two out of Urhoghide, Iorfa, Dunkley as a back two offer power pace and height. 

I think a midfield with FDB and Shaw (his pre contract becomes null if he extends) with AN Other (maybe Joey) offers pace, all round attributes that we’ve missed for 5/6 years. 

I think Penney will get better and offers creativity from the left. I think Palmer is an inexpensive solid RB with bags of experience. 

I think Green and Windass either side of a new striker give us pace and endeavour. 

That’s a nucleus of a decent squad for League One IMO. 

Remember that the Darren Moore side in League 1 he's just left, commended for their style of play etc etc...

Are fielding a 40 year old James Coppinger.

Sam Hutchinson is 31.

As long as theres no more than a couple around that mark, and the rest are early 20s, its fine. 

R.e. Matt Penney, as long as its not at left back, because he doesnt have any defensive nature about him whatsoever. 

23 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Remember that the Darren Moore side in League 1 he's just left, commended for their style of play etc etc...

Are fielding a 40 year old James Coppinger.

Sam Hutchinson is 31.

As long as theres no more than a couple around that mark, and the rest are early 20s, its fine. 

R.e. Matt Penney, as long as its not at left back, because he doesnt have any defensive nature about him whatsoever. 

I wasn’t planning on defending! 

He looks lost in current set up, but I think that’s due to middle of pitch being a playground for the opposition. I think if you played Joey, Shaw, FDB in a central three then we’d have a solid platform. 

I’m more excited about seeing players develop rather than clinging onto past, so I don’t want to see Hutch kept on. If there’s a younger model out there let’s snap them up, or use Joey who’s most likely half the cost.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I wasn’t planning on defending! 

He looks lost in current set up, but I think that’s due to middle of pitch being a playground for the opposition. I think if you played Joey, Shaw, FDB in a central three then we’d have a solid platform. 

I’m more excited about seeing players develop rather than clinging onto past, so I don’t want to see Hutch kept on. If there’s a younger model out there let’s snap them up, or use Joey who’s most likely half the cost.

To develop players though they need experience around them to learn the ropes properly. Not just on the field, but off the field as well (awaiting Hutchinson jokes..)

We need to find the right ones for that. Some experience is crucial in the squad, but with the focus on being getting the best out of the younger ones so they can be the future. 

Regarding cost, I really dont know what the likes of Hutchinson will be on now, or would be offered in L1.  Financially, we cant pay over the odds for them. 

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

To develop players though they need experience around them to learn the ropes properly. Not just on the field, but off the field as well (awaiting Hutchinson jokes..)

We need to find the right ones for that. Some experience is crucial in the squad, but with the focus on being getting the best out of the younger ones so they can be the future. 

Regarding cost, I really dont know what the likes of Hutchinson will be on now, or would be offered in L1.  Financially, we cant pay over the odds for them. 

Time to move on I think. Even if that’s players that are out of contract elsewhere rather than our own but trying the same old, with the same old players getting older each year isn’t what I’d be doing. 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Time to move on I think. Even if that’s players that are out of contract elsewhere rather than our own but trying the same old, with the same old players getting older each year isn’t what I’d be doing. 

I wouldn't disagree in that sense. As long as we had someone or others of that mould lined up from elsewhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Definitely. Both will be good players in League One.

I really think Bannan needs moving on. And I think if we drop he will go. He needs a fresh start and so do we.

Agree Bannan will leave almost certainly but at least we should get decent money. Iorfa is saleable and will Leave. I’d keep Patterson and windass. Palmer would Be useful at that level. We need two keepers. 

I'm not sure Iorfa will go, cannot see Chansiri selling him unless its for serious cash and i'm not sure teams will be throwing money around in the next couple of months, plus he's recovering from a serious injury.

I don't think there will be many player sales full stop across the leagues just free transfers moving clubs.

Iorfa

Borner

Dunkley

Palmer

Bannan

Patterson

Windass

Green

The above should be good enough for league 1, at the very least a midtable finish so we don't potentially slip down again like Wigan are showing is possible.

No, we'll be bang average. There's a few nice pieces in the squad but we just don't have the hunger, or organisation to keep ourselves elevated above the competition down there.

We'll probably win our first few then find ourselves getting beaten at home by someone like Oxford within a few weeks.