Who will be any good in league 1 from current squad?

I think Patterson & Windass will be decent in L1. Others who I think will do OK are:

Iorfa

Bannan

Luongo

Dunkley

Palmer

Dele Bashiru

Not sure about Green. I’m not entirely convinced many of those players above will still be with us as they could have get out clauses should we be relegated - especially those that have signed contracts following the points deduction.

Even if we keep all the above listed players, I think we’d need 6-8 to push for the play-offs.

• Haha 1

Westwood, but don't think he'll stop and let's face it we only want him to stop because Wildsmith and Dawson are rubbish. If we got rid of those two that should cover Westwood wages.

Defence

Urogihde, Iorfa, Dunkley, Borner, Galvin, Brennan.

I'd say Lees but cant see him staying, Iorfa night get sold so keep Borner, I'm undecided about Palmer tbh.

Midfiled

Bannan, FDB, Green, Luongo (if he stayed fit) maybe Hunt, maybe Hutchinson, something tells me Harris should be do well in League One but another one I cant make my mind up about.

Strikers

Widnass, Paterson promote Hagan.

Based on 4231 I would go for:

Wildsmith

Urhoghide

Iorfa

Borner

Galvin

Luongo

Dele Bashiru

Windass

Hunt

Green

Paterson

This assumes Urhoghide and Hunt will sign new contracts, which might be a big assumption in the cases of Urhoghide.  I would cash in on Bannan (not sure his skill set is what’s needed in League One) and target new keeper, midfielder and striker x 2 as a minimum.

41 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Westwood, but don't think he'll stop and let's face it we only want him to stop because Wildsmith and Dawson are rubbish. If we got rid of those two that should cover Westwood wages.

Defence

Urogihde, Iorfa, Dunkley, Borner, Galvin, Brennan.

I'd say Lees but cant see him staying, Iorfa night get sold so keep Borner, I'm undecided about Palmer tbh.

Midfiled

Bannan, FDB, Green, Luongo (if he stayed fit) maybe Hunt, maybe Hutchinson, something tells me Harris should be do well in League One but another one I cant make my mind up about.

Strikers

Widnass, Paterson promote Hagan.

What's the keeper like from the u23s?

I think Bannan would be sold and Reach, Lees and Westwood won’t be signing new contracts.

The one plus about Iorfa being injured for so long is that he might not generate much interest from other clubs at least until he gets some games under his belt. A defensive pairing of Iorfa and Dunkley would be decent in the third division.

I really hope Hutch signs on for another year as he’d be better than Semedo was at that level.

I also think Windass and Paterson would do ok at that level.

The squad however does need freshening up and I’d like to see at least 5/6 new faces coming in, some with experience at that level and perhaps a couple of young Premier League loan players.

Edited by TrickyTrev

Even once out out of contract player leave, with a few young loan players and a bargain basement target man we have the makings of a decent mid table L1 side. If we want to get out of the division we are going to have to get at least 6 or 7 players in. Even then I think it will be aiming for playoffs at best. As we know getting out of L1 is no walk in the park!

The problem is out saleable assets are sodding well injured. Iorfa and Luongo are too good for L1 but are not going to be fit until, after the transfer window shuts. We might get a few quid for Bazza but it won’t be a fortune. If points deduction and embargo are the order of the day L2 here we come! 
Im not even dreading it now. After the last two games I am desensitised to whatever disaster looms!

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

He just signed a new deal.

Which means we could get a good transfer fee for him. Personally I would like him to stay but there will be clubs after him and depending on what club offers him a good contract  I can see him saying yes 

I think there’s an over-estimation from some posts here. My assumption is Moore will be in charge and Moore will stick fairly rigidly to 4-2-3-1 because he believes in it long term. He got us to play that formation against Rotherham when we’ve not played it all year which suggests to me he won’t change from that philosophy.

Ignoring contracts I’d keep no goalkeepers. Westwood is the only one up to it but his injuries are too frequent.

I don’t think we have a natural full back worth keeping, though Galvin as a U23 looks a decent back up. I’ll add that Iorfa may stay because clubs may not risk signing him given his injury and as a L1 RB he’d be good enough and might be used that way.

Centre half’s I’d keep Brennan for the same  reason as Galvin. From what I know of L1 we will face teams well organised, tall, strong, athletic but less skill than L1. We need big strong CHs (last time we went up we had a big back 4 - Reda, Jones, Llera etc) and Urgohide fits the bill, I’m less convinced on Dunkley and Lees has had his best days. Hutch is a CH and no longer suitable for midfield, but I wouldn’t keep him. 

At DM where he’ll play 2 we have Luongo and Shaw, though one is injury prone and the other is looking like he’s left. I’m not a fan at all of Joey, but as a back up DM for L1 then maybe, I think he has energy, gives his all, is rarely injured and even though I’d have got rid of him last season I might be tempted to keep him.

For the supporting 3 positions I don’t think we have a player that suits those positions and the sane goes for the lone striker.

In L1 I think Windass and Paterson have something to offer even though they don’t have a natural position in that formation and I personally think Bannan would also be an asset and should perform, but I’m not sure where he fits.  However, if Chris Lines can excel at L1 then Bannan surely can, I do think he’d be up for the fight, he’s not often injured, but he needs a strong manager capable of pulling him down a peg or two when he does things that aren’t helping the team.

Ive seen a lot of posters suggest Hunt, for me he is L2 at best. I think I read that Moore got rid of around 15 players last year and signed/loaned a similar number at Doncaster. I can see him doing a similar thing here, but of course we all know that Chansiri is the crux to whether that’s allowed etc

• Like 2

Hopefully planning for league one has started already. We know the current squad needs a major overhaul.  

So for the league below I think the center back situation looks good. Hutchinson should be made captain and play center half week in week out. Along side him ideally Iorfa would stay and playing for a year along side hutch would bring him on, but he’s too good for league one so expect him to be sold so Uroghide next to him with Dunkley as next in line. 

Penney I believe could be a decent left back at that level but we need competition. 

As for the rest of the side the likes of Brennan Hunt Dele Waldock and Hughes have to either step up to compete to play every week in that league or be loaned out to somewhere where they will play.

Bannan will be off. Then the rest of the squad should be sold and or released. 

Dawson 

Wildsmith

Palmer 

Luongo 

Green

Paterson

Windass 

can all be put up for sale with 

Odubajo

van Aken

Lees 

Reach

Harris

Rhodes 

All released.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

As Windass and Paterson will still be under contract, it looks as if we’ll have to keep them. If we do, the manager needs to sort out best positions for them For me, Paterson has to be moved back to midfield He clearly isn’t a striker, and doesn’t play, or even think like one, and dropping down a league won’t change that. Windass, I’m not sure about, it’s hard to find a place for him. If we play two up, we’ll need better than him, so maybe out wide?

He is not a midfielder either.